Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to fifties group

Queen: just spent my day reading your blog. You are an inspiration! I love to travel and spent 6 mos traveling around the world with husband and kids in 2006. I was so impressed that you did this while traveling. Well done! I'm 10 days post op. And having a little more pain and upset stomach than the first week. Must be trying too many new puréed foods. How much did you exercise in the first month post op? I'm trying to get in 5000 steps a day

Hi Scubagirl, thank you for reading my blog! And congratulations on your sleeve and welcome to the club....

I was 58 when I had my sleeve (now 61). I really didn't start exercising officially until I was 6 months out and had stopped traveling. I did stretching and used Soup cans when I could for some strength training (sounds so silly now but that's all I could do). But because we were traveling, I'm sure I got at least 5,000 if not 10K steps in a day.

I do go to the gym now 3-4 X per week and do cardio, and strength training and I walk an average of 12K per day. Plus I bike because I live in Amsterdam.

I have a feeling you will do just fine! BTW, a few more days and there will be no more blog as I am about to publish my book based on the blog!

Hello friends, long time since I have been on here. Just been busy with things. Brother passed away two months ago and I have made 3 trips to Texas. I still am waiting for a date. My A1C has been all over the place and they won't do it until I have it under control. Eating is good but my sugar keeps going up. Changing meds to see what will work and I think the regimen I am on now is going to work. I missed somthing to turn onto medicade, that was while I was in texas, Now trying to straighten that out. Trying not to be discourage butnot easy.

glad that everyone is doing so well

Keeping your blood sugar under control when you are stressed is not easy. Try not to get too discouraged and work with your doctors to find the right meds.

I am so sorry about your brother.

Hang in there and know that you have friends here.

@@LainieG, sorry for your loss & all that you're going through. Hoping your new regimen works.

@@LainieG - good to hear from you again & sorry to hear about your brother. Hopefully you will get where you need to be with your sugar soon

@LannieG I am so sorry about your brother and all the struggles you have had trying to get to surgery. Hopefully you will get there soon. I am so grateful for my sleeve. It is not easy but it is a wonderful tool. Someone actually called me skinny yesterday. I know I'm not really but it felt good. I feel like a new person, back and knee pain about gone, no BP or diabetes meds. I have a new problem of getting comfortable with hip and shoulder bones that don't have padding(who knew I had those) to all of you who are early in the process hang in there through the bumps and stalls it is worth it. All the support on this site is great!

Really looking forward to being part of this group. I'm scheduled with Dr. Arial Ortiz in Tijuana on April 30 (unless my firm changes insurance companies to one that will cover surgery, I'll know next week!).

Really looking forward to being part of this group. I'm scheduled with Dr. Arial Ortiz in Tijuana on April 30 (unless my firm changes insurance companies to one that will cover surgery, I'll know next week!).

Welcome to our group! & best of luck with the upcoming surgery. I have no regrets, except I should have done it earlier.

6 month visit yesterday & the NP was pleased with my loss- I'm down 56% of my excess weight. I'm 52yo, 5'4"(was 5'5" before age 50). HW 279, SW 269, CW 189. Starting size 26, now Size 16-18(16 at old navy, 18 at Lane Bryant??). So excited to keep going.

I've been following you all for a couple of weeks. I'm 59 and will be starting my 2 week pre-op diet in 2 days. My date is 5/5. I'm excited & nervous. I'm 5-11 and starting weight of 296, now at 291. Couldn't stand the thought of breaking the 300 mark and now I won't. You're a neat group of ladies & I'm so glad to have found you.

Hey ladies - I've missed you!!! I've been gone way too long but still on track for my upcoming WLS. I had to switch to the bypass as it will be my best chance of getting rid of my diabetes. I started this journey in October 2014 at the age of 53 and my surgery is this coming Tuesday, April 21st at 7:30 am at mayo Hospital here in Jacksonville, FL where I live. I am beyond excited!!! I'd dieted and long some weight, then gained it back but since starting my 2 week pre-op liquid Optifast diet, I have already lost 14 lbs. I'm on day 12 and it has been really easy. My 93 year old father-in-law passed away last Monday and the funeral was in Orlando. I just took my shakes with me and when asked why I wasn't eating, I simply told them this was the final piece to my post-stroke puzzle as I needed to lose this weight. No one knows I'm having surgery with the exception of one sister-in-law and I wanted to keep it that way. I've only told 5 people besides my husband, son and brother. Tomorrow I will tell my parents. I've waited as close to my surgery date as possible to tell them because all they'll do is worry. They live here and I'm sure they'll be there with my husband and son. I hope I can stay here with yall even though I'm not being sleeved :) I'm so happy to hear how well everyone is doing.

Hey Beach gal! Sorry to hear of the loss of your father in law. Hope you and your family can cherish the memories of him for many years to come.

Congratulations on being so close to having the surgery behind you.

I live just outside of the Villages but I'm familiar with mayo in Jax & it's a great facility.

Welcome!