Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to fifties group

Welcome @@pansy63! I started this process last July and will finally have surgery on March 25th so self pay can go a lot faster. Keep us posted!

@@pansy63 Welcome! I am also 51 and have been overweight my entire adult life (lost and gained and lost and gained etc etc!). I was sleeved about 11 weeks ago, December 15th, and it was the best decision I made!

I actually went back to work after one week! Now granted, I work in an office and am at my desk most of the day, but I was ready to go back. My surgeon basically said, it was up to me as long as I wasnt on pain medicine (I was only on that for a few days after surgery).

Good luck and congrats on making the decision!

@@pansy63 I took off just under 3 weeks, my job isn't very physical, but can be very stressful. That was a good amount to get used to the different eating & to be prepared. I also went back to work mid week, so I only had 2 full days to get through.

@@pansy63 welcome! I took off 3 1/2 weeks and felt that was exactly what I needed. The first couple of weeks I was battling fatigue, some discomfort,

Trying to getting all my fluids in, etc, basically, A LOT!

But everyone recovers differently. Four weeks sounds perfect.

To answer your question on how to respond to someone. If you look below the picture of the person you want to respond to, (it list # of post, when they joined & immediately following you will see "@mention". Click that & their screen name will populate in the reply box & you can start typing your response.

@@Kathy812

Took me a bit to figure out the respond business because I am using an iPad and didn't think to mention that:) but was able to set it to web view and there it was just like you said, thanks so much!!

@@mjmboston

Back to work in one week, wow !! I think I am going to plan for four, but I know they would let me come back sooner if I was ready. I would hate to plan to go back in two and then possibly have to delay it. Also I know that I am going to have to train myself to sip, as currently I am more of a gulper and I want to get started developing a walking routine and have those things engrained in my daily habits before returning to work, if that makes sense

Thanks to everyone for the comments on body image. I finally went out and bought some new clothes that fit and that helps some. I guess it will be a life long process. On a wonderful note I bought size 8 petite pants. Haven't ever fit into that size. Still bigger on top, that back fat is hard to get rid of, but it was exciting to keep sending clothes back for smaller sizes

[quote name="traveler60" size 8?! That's fantastic! Great job!

I had first appointment with surgeon today. She reviewed surgery options and answered questions I had about the surgery itself. I have to see nut and get psych eval, then surgeon will do EGD, then will schedule sleeve date:). I have to do a three week preop diet the nutritionist will explain the specifics of both pre and post op diets. The bariatric coordinator was there also and reviewed the process and the financial end of things. I am going to call tomorrow and get apps scheduled. No need at this time for cardio consult or sleep study but they did say if anything showed concern during EGD with heart or sleep they may make those referrals prior to sleeve. I feel like I was well prepared thanks yo all the reading I did here:). Thanks everyone!!

@@traveler60 , a size 8!!!!! Fabulous????

@@pansy63 , sounds like you got a lot accomplished????

Edited by SimplySue

So...tomorrow starts my pre-surgical diet and I am more than a little anxious about how I will handle this. So much of my activities are tied around food! I feel like I am saying good-by to a good friend... :unsure:

Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

I wasn't required to do the pre op and I wish I had been. I went from a hundred 20 overnight, so to speak. I am 6 weeks post off and just went out to Breakfast with my husband. he had full breakfast eggs sausage hash browns toast. I had one scrambled egg and one slice of bacon. left a bite of scrambled egg on the plate because I was full. you don't have to give up food entirely after the surgery. you just will find that you are satisfied with much less

@@LisaGB, I won't pretend it's easy but what helped me is staying busy to keep my mind off food. If you slip up, do not go overboard. Drink plenty of Water & I was allowed various broths to help w/hunger pains.

remember, if your liver does not shrink sufficiently , the surgeon may not be able to do the surgery. You don't want to come this far only to have to start the pre-op diet over again.

Stay strong & focused on the prize. It is sooooo worth it!!!!