Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to fifties group

@ LisaGB: First I was 58 (just turned 58) when I had my surgery and my life has changed drastically!!! So don't worry one bit that you think you might be too old....like most people on here our only regret is that this surgery wasn't available when we were younger...but believe me, I am making the most out of every day now!!! If you are looking for inspiration, read some blogs...they were so helpful to me. I kept a blog every Sunday for the first year so you can see a little what to expect. You can see it at http://www.queenofcrop.com/about/%C2'> Then when you read that page you can decide if you want to start at the beginning which I recommend. I started writing again a few months ago, but it is in a direction that is not for everyone....the first year is all about the weight loss.

For Protein Powder, I started using one that was recommended here and it is far, far superior to any other in my opinion. I cannot tell you how many PP I threw out!!!! This one has NO FLAVOR and 30 grams of Protein. You can order it from Amazon. It's called GENEPRO Molecular Tri-Protein Peptide. Don't waste you money on other things.

As far as exercising.....start slow...get some weights and just use them when you are sitting down. I have read about many others who were on walkers and after the first month they had a Walker Burning Party!!!! You will do just fine and I suspect your diabetes will be history too!

One more post from me....today is my first 5:2 day in a long long time. I am almost at goal weight (I am 143 and my goal is 139) but really need to get to 135 so I can have my body lift surgery. After losing 80 lbs you wouldn't think that losing 8 would be so daunting, but it is. But I had a GREAT workout today at the gym...I love it once I get there...so what is my problem???? And even though it's just noon, I have done fine so far and I think I can do this. For pete's sake it's only one day!!!! But thank you to everyone here who has been my inspiration to get back on track. Great group!!!

OK ladies I did it! Checking in after my first FAST day yesterday. And I lost a lb. I don't think I was perfect but it was a start and I feel so much better knowing that I could do it. For me, I have to keep myself really busy and away from the house...and it was a mental exercise as well. But it is amazing how we think now....this 10 lbs I want to lose seems so HUGE but yet we have come so far! I am visualizing 133...I am only 5'3" and even though I think I will have saggy skin, that's the number I want to get to. Today I was 143 so that's 10 lbs. But thanks to all of you I think I can do this. And I swear I think I am the worst dieter in the world! I can get derailed SO easily plus the fact that I am entertaining all the time. A dinner party tonight and tomorrow night! But I did FAST and that was a start!!!

Hope all the newbies in this group are doing well and feeling excited about the new year!

@ Queen of the crop Good job Queen, keep it up. You have the drive and determination to get there and you will. It is always inspiring to find out how you are doing, it is wonderful support.

@ Queen of the crop Good job Queen, keep it up. You have the drive and determination to get there and you will. It is always inspiring to find out how you are doing, it is wonderful support.

Thanks LainieG...do you have your surgery date yet? Maybe you've mentioned it and I've missed it. Hope you are well....you're up pretty late!

Queen, no surgery date yet, now just waiting on medicare. I am hoping soon. I am a night owl, lol

Thanks for the welcome everyone! And the advise...I had read some reviews that GENEPRO produced less gas and bloating...

@@Queen Good job with fasting and exercising...I really struggle with the exercise. I think I am the only physical therapist who hates to exercise! LOL Like you, I'm OK once I start but it is hard to overcome the inertia.

I had my last required weight loss appointment and have completed all the other insurance requirements. It should all be faxed to my surgeon by the end of the day. I am hoping to have a surgery date soon.

I am an educator and am hoping to have my surgery over spring break and return to work after only 1 week off. Perhaps I will need more time but we'll see.

My surgeon mentioned using a Liquid Protein immediately after surgery. Has anyone had experience with these products? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

@@LainieG & @@LisaGB , I hope you both hear soon!

@@LisaGB -As far as proteins- did your surgeon mean shakes or other? I used the powders & mixed with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but some others liked the ready to drink. I'd recommend getting some samples to try 1st as the can be expensive. Also don't get too much as your taste can change post op. Several of the Bariatric sites do sample sizes like Bariatric pal or Nashuanutrition. I liked the trutein (they also do samples) especially chocolate Peanut Butter & lemon (mixed with almond milk) as well as the chocolate splendor from Unjury. The Unjury can be ordered online, but our hospital pharmacy carried that including their sample pack.

Queen, good to hear from you again.

Edited by SimplySue

@@SimplySue thanks for the support and advice. I will definitely check out the samples!

@@Queen you are my inspiration so I know you can do it!

I am officially overweight- woo hoo!! It has been a very long time since I have not been obese and it feels great.

@@LisaGB I like Unjury chocolate for shakes but use the GENEPRO to mix with hot chocolate or yogurt for an extra Protein boost.

@LanieG I know you date will be coming soon, hang in there,

Someone made a posting asking about forming a group in your area. I posted this and I am not sure where, just added to the link. Thought others may be interested into looking in your area. She was looking in Jefferson City MO which is about 25 miles from me. LainieG,

I hope you are doing well and are making progress towards your weight loss surgery goals, whether they are to get surgery, hit your goal weight, or maintain your new healthy habits. As you know, support is crucial to your success in this journey. BariatricPal is one of the places you can go for support.

In-person support groups can be another important factor in your success. When you meet people every week or month, you can look for the following benefits.

• A greater sense of camaraderie – you’re not in this alone!
  • Accountability – seeing other members in person can be more motivating.
  • Personal growth – opening up in person is much harder and more rewarding than staying anonymous over the internet.
  • Deep friendships – the people you meet in support groups may be the people you call to
  • go walking or just hang out.
Most surgeons recognize the value of support groups and many require or ask their patients to attend. Still, not all bariatric surgery patients get enough in-person support.
Thousands of pre-op and post-op bariatric surgery patients use BariatricPal’s online forums every day. Now, BariatricPal is providing another way for you to build your support system. BariatricPal Local Chapters is trying to bring face-to-face support groups to your area! Members are the same members of BariatricPal who are there for each other day after day online. Now, you can extend that support into your real life.
When
  • Meetings run by your peers in a friendly and helpful atmosphere.
  • In-person support to supplement support from other groups.
  • Members whom you can talk to any time between meetings online at BariatricPal.
  • The same values you get online at BariatricPal.
Go to BariatricPal’s Local Chapters page to look for a group in your area. If there is not yet one that is near you and convenient, don’t worry! You can suggest one or start one in the Local Chapters Forum. BariatricPal has plenty of support for anyone who wants to become a Local Chapters Leader – no experience necessary!
I hope you will consider joining or starting a BariatricPal Local Chapters group. Please post on the forums or send me a private message to get started.
I can’t wait to see what this Local Chapters program can do for our members. Thank you for your support of BariatricPal.
Sincerely,
Alex Brecher
Founder, BariatricPal

@@WL WARRIOR, are you from Columbia or Jeff

I'm from Jefferson City. Any idea on how to get more people from the area to join or come to a local chapter meeting? I go to the Bariatric clinic for my three month follow up on Thursday. Maybe I'll create a flyer and see if they will put it up there. I know some areas in Jeff City that may let me reserve a room 1-2 times a month. The public library usually has a room you can reserve. I don't want to reserve meeting rooms until there are enough people showing interest in attending, however. Once that happens, I can call to put it in the paper in the section with all the rest of the weekly support group meetings. There has got to be more people in our area interested in weight loss surgery (or have already had), don't you think? It keeps me on track with my eating plan when I attend support groups.

@@bellabill -How are you doing after your surgery?

Hello all, I am doing really well! Most of the pain has subsided and healing just great ! Like most of you, I am struggling to get all the Protein in. The shakes are just barf. Looking forward to the purée stage. I will see the Nut on the 21st so she may allow purée foods. I will be seeing the surgeon on Weds. I have lost 21 lbs. but the last couple of days it slowed down. I am not worried and continue to do what I got to do. I hope every one is well! I now can't wait till Spring! I have been so cold lately I can't stand it. Stay in touch everyone ????❤️????