Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to fifties group

Hi all, I joined this forum in 2011 anticipating surgery, but my employer's insurance would not approve, but then I came down with leukemia and that totally shot it out of the Water. But I am back and hope it will be happening before the end of the year, with Medicare since I had to stop working.

I am looking for anyone who has been sleeved or going to be for support and encouragement.

I hope some will pick this group to communicate with others.

Hi Lainie! Welcome! sorry to hear about your leukemia diagnosis. I hope things are going well. That has or had to be a difficult thing to deal with.

Best wishes in this journey.

I began mine in June & I am scheduled to have my surgery in October. This is becoming very real for me.

I am 51 and wish I had the courage to have done this years ago. Truthfully, I just found out about the sleeve last Oct but I was in denial that I was large enough to qualify, I laugh every time I say that, especially. when I look at my Bmi-I was in deep denial.

Oh well, I can't change the past but looking forward to forming my future.

I hope this thread continues.

We have all been where you two are (except for the awful leukemia, so sorry). But the denial, wishing we had done this years before, anticipation, being scared.....but the vast majority have no regrets! I was 57 when I was sleeved and it changed my life.....you two have much to look forward to. If you are interested....read my blog; I kept it faithfully every week for the first year, it might give you an idea of what to expext and inspire you! This October will be my 3rd anniversary and I am still at goal.....(ok, just a few lbs over what I would like to be!).

Best of luck to both of you.

Thanks Kathy and Queen. I like this little group, I get lost on the main forum. Never can find where I posted, lol. And have the two perfect people here to follow. You Kathy, being sleeved in October and Queen, a veteran. I was looking for a small support group, hope this is it.

Kathy, I have been in remission for 3 years. I was lucky, I had the type of leukemia that is curable. I spent a month in the hospital, lost 40 lbs and my hair. Needless to say, I have lots of hats. I feel very blessed !!

I am 59 and retired on disability due to leukemia and my back. My back is horrible. I have to use a walker as the pain is so intense I can't walk without it. I need two surgeries and have to lose 70 lbs. This is the only way I feel I can succeed. But outside of the 70, there is 100 more :(

Kathy are you going to be on a pre-op diet. Tell us about it, it seems that everyone does something different.

Queen, I never hear anyone talking much about exercise afterward. I'm a little worried if I don't that it will slow down my loss. I can walk with my walker but not too far. I hope that this surgery will help me get off the walker, hate that thing.

Would also like to know what Protein you used. I've been trying some out. Ok, enough questions for one night.

Hope to see you both back here. Queen, will check out your blog !

HI Lainie.....two quick answers as I am expecting company to arrive.

I cannot help you with the Protein because I live in Europe and the choices here are much different than you have in the US. But from what I can tell, most people on the forum love powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. (I have not tried it).

As far as exercise....I didn't exercise much the first 6 months after surgery because I was tired a lot, but then as I healed I began to move more. (Was unable to before because of bad knees and hip and feet). Today, I walk over 5 miles a day with my headphones on.....love it. I live in Amsterdam so we walk or ride bikes everywhere. I could not have done this without the surgery. So you will get there.....little steps and before you know it, the walker will be history!

You are about to embark on a very exciting journey...and I wish you the best! There are many people here that post lots of good information. My story is inspirational, but I was not the best by far at following the rules! So I'm not a good one to ask about those things!

Hi everyone, I'm 57 and getting the sleeve hopefully in Nov. Still working on my PCP visits 2 to go, and have a echo and stress test to get done in Sept.

Nice to see the thread for 50's, so many threads I read are so young.

Hi everyone, I'm 57 and getting the sleeve hopefully in Nov. Still working on my PCP visits 2 to go, and have a echo and stress test to get done in Sept.

Nice to see the thread for 50's, so many threads I read are so young.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy reading the threads from all people, just nice to see older women here and how they react to surgery and life after gastric surgery.

Lainie glad to hear you are in remission & if this site is any indication, you should have no problems losing 70lb as long as you follow the plan & hopefully after you have the surgeries you will gain more mobility.

Lainie as far as my preop, I will have liquids (broths & Protein shakes) Breakfast &lunch. dinner I can gave a small amount of protein(chicken,fish, turkey) and veggies. So hopefully that will help with the hunger pains.

Queen of Crop Thanks! I will definitely read your blogs. I know they will help.

#9grammy, welcome! I still have to take my stress test as well. also a sleep study this Wed.

@@Queen of Crop

I just started reading your blog and your story sounds vaguely familiar. I believe your story is also in the bariatric book written by the founder of this website correct?

I'm already intrigued by your opening story .I will continue to read your blog, thanks again for sharing. By the way, you look fabulous!

Hi Kathy...hmmmmm, I suppose it's possible I am in the book....haven't read it. I have been on this forum for 3 years though and used to be very active....not as much any more but am thinking of starting a YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A SLEEVER....but instead of the first year, do the 3rd year since there are different challenges and there are not many of us who have been around that long.....

I absolutely do NOT want to derail anyone here from a pre-op, I just wanted to say my pre-op was 48 hours....nothing more and I did fine.

Welcome #9 Grammy ! Thanks for all the good input everyone. I started looking at your blog also Queen. I wish I had done that when I was sick, but some you don't want to remember.

I will probably end up getting an unflavored Protein and make smoothies with frozen fruit. That is something I make all the time anyway. I did run across some syrups that you can mix, I believe with almond milk, can't recall for sure. I also read about someone who uses them, If you want to see them, check out NOW.

Grammy, I hope to be sleeved in November also. Have to finish stress test, venous doppler, ultrasound on my legs as I have a blood clot, the psych eval and I will have all of those in October. Oh and some dental work. Have had to get dentures because the chemo destroyed my teeth. I don't look like a hillbilly from the Ozarks of MO, lol. Got my uppers last Nov and this time my lowers.

I hope to be able to walk more, but not sure that the weight loss with totally help my back. I would at least love to get rid of the walker. I have knee replacements an can't utilize them like I want, but at least they feel great.

On the length of the pre-op diet I could handle 2 days. I have read where some on here have gone from a few days to up to two weeks. Maybe the two weeks wasn't to intense. I think I will call the office and find out, but if lot of days not fret over it.

I know that the support is for before and when we get our sleeves. My doc told me that I had gained 17 lbs since April. I have yet to figure that out. Told me to cut carbs. I told him that i had. Right now I am not keeping bread (except ham Buns so I can have a burger a couple times a week. No Pasta, bread, crackers or Cereal on my house (I am divorced and live alone) so I don't have to worry about family members. My oncologist says it i a med that I am taking that i started around May. My weight has been the same for several years give or take 5 lbs. Only other time I lost more was when I was sick and lost 40. So I am working on getting it off, eating lots of Protein and veggies and smoothies but scale has not moved !!

OK, I am lost. I set up a blog and now can't find it. When I set it up I could not find where to make an entry. HELP ??