Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone :) I have a surgery date of September 30th. That will be 8 months since when I first started this journey. I have always suffered anxiety and panic attacks, they are mostly healthy anxiety related. I fear hospitals, tests, the hospital lighting etc..if a body symptom is off I immediately go into panic mode. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to pull this off. I'm excited but deep down I know how anxious I will be once the day is here.

Is there anyone else who suffers from anxiety panic who has been through this? Do they help your anxiety somehow pre op? I'm afraid I'll wake up in a panic attack and then something bad happening.

I was told I can take a Xanax before I arrive bit I can really see myself crying and wanting to jump right off the table before they begin the surgery or anesthesia :( please help! Lol

If you've been very clear with your surgeon already about this possibility, then I hope he/she is prepared to deal with this.

You really don't want to spring this news on them in the surgical holding bay.

Best wishes to you.

I agree....let the surgeon know now so that the anestheolgist will be prepared to help manage your anxiety. My bariatric physician changed my med from Sertraline to Buproprion and doubled the dose of that by my third visit pre-op. is this your first time for surgery?

Here is what happens: Take that first bold step and show up. Then you will change into a hospital gown and go to a pre-op area where a nurse will place you IV so that they can have a place to give you fluids and insert meds, relaxers, and anesthetic as needed. You will feel a little prick.. (My first ex-husband was a little prick!) That is probably when they will give you a little "somethin' somethin') to help you mellow out kind of like a California high.

When it is time to roll out out to the operating room you will get a hug and/or kiss from your support person, then off you go for an excellent adventure......cause now you are a little loopy and don't really care. You are rolled next to the operating table and the nursing staff transfers you over.

So there you are staring at the ceiling lights and the anesthesiolgist will ask you chit chatty questions or ask you to count backward from 100. So you count 100, 99, 98, 97...........wake up, hello, wake up...hey you're done...you did just fine! Then you are taken to your room and transferred to you bed.

Then hard part is over. You made that decision to take control of your health and are now committed to becoming a healthier happier you. And you have a new birthday where you get that second chance to start over. Congratulations.

Now, here is a quote that has helped me get through hard times and critical decisions. It helped me to leave a horrible diagnosed psycho-sociopath who had taken control of my life. It helped me decide to go back to collage at the age of 54 to finish a degree program that I had started in 1971. And it helped me decide to investigate bariatric surgery and go for it.

Here it is, and I wish you good luck and good health:

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can.........begin it. For boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." Wolfgang Von Goethe

My surgeon is very well aware of my anxiety disorder and just assures me I will be fine and very well cared for & tells me not to worry. I'm currently unmedicated for the anxiety besides an as needed script for Xanax in severe cases which is pretty rare and 1 bottle can last me 6-12 months.

He stated they will give me an anti anxiety med before surgery and says that I will be "out of it" post op when the worst is over.

Well, there you have it.

You answered your own question.

It sounds like you are ready for the before part. They can manage your anxiety while in the hospial, but what about afterwards once you get home? A lot of people get extremely concerned about every little thing that feels weird in their body after surgery.

Have you spoken with your doctor about that part? I think that's where I would focus my nervous energy, so that you have the clearest expectation of how your body may react to these changes. Hopefully you could return to those learned things as little things come up - sparing you from an anxiety attack or unneeded trips to the ER.

I hope your concerns become nothing but a distant memory for you and that you do really well. Good luck!

I was sleeved 3 days and I have major anxiety... I take meds.... The entire journey I was going to quit.... But I was determined to go through with it... You will do fine... As soon as they woke me up.... I said I did it ... I did it.... Hang in there!

I was sleeved 3 days and I have major anxiety... I take meds.... The entire journey I was going to quit.... But I was determined to go through with it... You will do fine... As soon as they woke me up.... I said I did it ... I did it.... Hang in there!

What do you take for meds?

SleevedSharon, we are rocking in the same boat. I can totally relate to what you are going through and how you feel. I have many of the same sentiments. So scary and it takes so much to be brave. The scariest thing for me is getting home and freaking out about the surgery from not being able to eat and my body feeling so different and possibly having complications and knowing there is NO going back. I can relate to your struggle! I hate anxiety and abhor panic attacks. Yuck! Lol

I have anxiety panic disorder an a few others..I was 3 months start to finish. I was soo ready for this I was on cloud 9.. then it hit me goin thru all the preop classes that this was seriously going to happen! 2 wks before sure I started the liquid 2 x a day..last 48 hrs all 3 liquids. shakes only. The nerves started tingling. I got anxious or really excited really..by the 2nd night before I was shaking insider. .:) but by the night before I took a valium. .I talked to a friend who had bypass 7 yrs ago she's a lot older an she has never regretted it. All the emotional roller coaster is normal. .happy,oh my do I really want To do this, u no questioning ur decision, wanting to cry u name it I thought about it. I had worked myself up bad an by the last night I slept great, got up showered, we went, was taken to preop, I talked to anesthesiologist she was so nice, I started getting nervous she ordered a butt load of meds, I'm a hard stick when it comes to finding my veins I forwarned. He came in..said he was on ambulance for 18 yrs..never felt a thing. I was worked up over the needle. I do it every time. But I went rolling in the bed to or with a big smile laughing an had a great team of young or staff...we talked the whole time I was getting situated an one of the staff played the gas mask right above my chest an it was just close enuff I was out an next thing I no I'm in recovery. ..it's normal to go thru the emotions, doubts, being thrilled etc...it's scary..but overall I knew deep down I was set for this. If you aren't u wouldn't b going thru the process. Take ur valium the night before If ur Dr ok it...plus they'll give u something in preop..I'm 7 wks out..an so happy. It takes courage an bravery to get this far..I thought about this for 20 yrs. I have had 10 yrs of seeing psych an talk therapy. I'm over the talk therapy. I've moved on but I do take wellbuterin daily..prbly for life. You can do this..I wish u the best an keep us posted: )

Yes you did!! Congrats! ! I said that too!! Lol..