Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Side Effects....aaaaggghhh

I've been reading the blogs and I keep running across Hair loss, sagging skin, dumping. Is there a silver lining in the dark cloud of rny. I have my surgery September 30. Is there anything I can do now to prevent some of this? The good thing (I guess) is that once I gained my weight I never lost it so maybe my skin will not sag.

Hi ranece. From what I understand, Protein protein protein is the way to combat Hair loss. Sagging skin is inevitable but get some pure bovine collagen powder and it may help some. Dumping is avoided by avoiding sugar and by eating teeny tiny bites, not over eating or drinking and by avoiding sugar. Real whole fruit can also cause dumping if you have too much. I'm also having my surgery on the 30th but I have friends who have had the surgery and they are giving me lots of great advice!

I'm about 3 months post op gastric bypass, I'm experiencing Hair loss right now like crazy! Let me tell ya there is nothing you can really do to prevent hair loss. Eat your Protein take your Vitamins and i do suggest getting a good Shampoo for hair loss. Silver lining is you will be healthy. Hair grows back. You will expire nice dumping, you can dump on stupid things. I used to love milk but i dumped. Cauliflower makes me sick, you just have to get used to trying small bites and testing the Water before you eat. Sagging skin is common, some people have it more than others. Focus on getting healthy and start to tone. Tummy Tuck ad 360 lift can be considered later on. At least at Cleveland clinic i know at 1 year group they bring in plastic surgeons to talk and do consults. You got this don't worry about that stuff yet

Edited by missrachelled07

I was actually almost hoping for the hair loss, as it would have given me an excuse to shave my head for a while. While my hair is now not quite as coarse as it used to be and much thinner (the hair itself, not the volume), I haven't experienced any Hair loss at just over 6 months out.

That said, I've been beyond religious when it comes to making sure I have my Protein and fluids each and every day.

As for the dumping - as already mentioned, avoid the sugars and fats and chew your tiny bites as much as humanly possible. I have only dumped once and it was by eating regular ketchup (I now use reduced sugar). It was a bad day (~6 hours), but definitely not the end of the world. After that I learned to try all new foods while at home and to ensure anything I try is extremely low in sugar (I've avoided fatty foods at all costs, so no experience there).

The sagging skin is now more of a badge of honor. While it looks terrible in the shower, I'll happily deal with it knowing that I can be active, healthy and truly get back to living life instead of just surviving.

Unfortunately I don't know that there is anything you can do to combat any of these 3 issues pre-surgery, but in my opinion none are worth fretting about.

Thx winning by losing. I'm ok I can always wear a wig and since I haven't had a boyfriend in almost two years getting naked is not a problem Sagging skin can be toned I'm praying that since I didn't go up and down in my Weightloss I hope the sagging isn't extreme.

The silver lining? Not being invisible. Not feeling left out. Not hiding behind the weight. New clothes from the Womens section not plus size. Giving away my 20-22 pants and 2X tops. Wearing a pair of size 14 shorts that are too big. Walking up 3 flights of stairs to my new office without feeling like I will die. Ditching medicine I thought I would need for a life time. Wearing my wedding ring on my middle finger so it doesn't fall off.

I'm down 60 since surgery and will drop 20-30 more before I'm done.

Ok, yes my hair is falling out. Yes my belly, thighs and arms are saggy. My boobs are gone. My ass is gone. But so what. I'm 48 years old. I'm not suppose to have the body of a 20 year old. I take my Vitamins. I eat my Protein. I use the new fancy Redken Shampoo that super scrubs my scalp which will help Hair growth when my body is ready.

My hair is short. I wear dresses that hide my belly and legs. I feel and look pretty damn good.

<p>The silver lining? Not being invisible. Not feeling left out. Not hiding behind the weight. New clothes from the Womens section not plus size. Giving away my 20-22 pants and 2X tops. Wearing a pair of size 14 shorts that are too big. Walking up 3 flights of stairs to my new office without feeling like I will die. Ditching medicine I thought I would need for a life time. Wearing my wedding ring on my middle finger so it doesn't fall off. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm down 60 since surgery and will drop 20-30 more before I'm done.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ok, yes my hair is falling out. Yes my belly, thighs and arms are saggy. My boobs are gone. My ass is gone. But so what. I'm 48 years old. I'm not suppose to have the body of a 20 year old. I take my Vitamins. I eat my Protein. I use the new fancy Redken Shampoo that super scrubs my scalp which will help Hair growth when my body is ready. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>My hair is short. I wear dresses that hide my belly and legs. I feel and look pretty damn good. </p>

I love it!!! Ok you have inspired me and you do look pretty damn good. By the way the only people with big asses are the Kardashians. Lol