Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, 59 years and starting a new life!

Welcome. I was banded in January of 2013 and just turned 56 a couple of weeks ago. I feel better and younger than I have in forever. I have enough energy to do almost anything and I was nearly immobile before the lapband and subsequent hip replacement (which I wouldn't have gotten without the weight loss)

You will do great and get off you meds and find yourself exercising and embracing life again as I have. Wishing you all the best!

Welcome to the best club in the world. I was banded in January. I am 7 lbs away from me 1st goal. I weighed 249 this time last year.Now I am at 207. I am so happy. I have not weighed this since my son was a baby ( 2 months old) he is now 22.

"Welcome to the best club in the world"

Love this!

Welcome to the "club". That is so great that you made the decision to take control of your health. I am 56 and 5 weeks post op so am fairly new with so much to learn. The posts here have really taught me a lot and I learn something new every day. You are going to do great! I wish I would have done it sooner but can't turn back the clock so I am just looking ahead to this journey as I am sure you are:)

Mariemarie, my sleep apnea disappeared about 4-5 months after being banded. What a relief not to have to haul that machine around if I was traveling, (what a pain !) ! Also nice to know that I dont snore or gasp for breath in my sleep anymore. Having sleep apnea increase s your chance of stroke, so its nice to know that higher risk of stroke is gone. Hope this helps ! Good luck !!

Welcome.. At age 66 I decided to take control of my health. I was slowly killing myself with food. I had diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. at 5' zero and 200 lbs it was becoming more and more difficult for me to even keep my house clean or go to the grocery store. after having lapband surgery in January 2013 I have lost 60 lbs. I am slowly getting to my goal. I have been taken off of my diabetic meds, no more blood pressure and my cholesterol is normal. The shoulder pain will go away in about a week or so. I used a heating pad which helped a lot. Walking and moving also helped. Best of luck to you on your new adventure to better health and happier living.

Still have the shoulder pain. Think I enjoyed my pureed cream of mushroom Soup too much last night. I have to learn to STOP. I guess that comes with time. Otherwise, I'm down 18 lbs!!! YAY

Congrats! That is a great first step. The best news is that the lost pounds don't come back. Along with more..... Just keep on the right path and you can have an outstanding year. 60 is gonna look good to and on you!!

Hi there and congratulations! I am feeling so much healthier and happier -- loads of energy. I will be 53 in a few weeks and am grateful every day that I had the courage to get WLS. It felt like a drastic step but I knew dieting didn't ever work for me and that this was my chance at a healthy future I never considered anything except for the band and I love this lifestyle. If any one had told me I'd be a willing exerciser -- that I'd wake up wanting to do it -- I would have laughed in their face. But somehow that is what happened. I walked and walked even if I didn't want to and now I want to. Magic! And as for food, it's so simple: I eat when I'm hungry and I don't eat when I'm not hungry. The first part is harder than the second because I was so restrictive, always on a diet, now I'm not in a diet and I've lost sixty pounds. I still have a ways to go but I feel normal now. I'm unfurling my wings, speaking my mind and having a lot of fun being myself. Before I was so self-conscious -- now that I'm out of food jail I feel so free. Good luck with everything. Be are here for you!

I wish you all the luck in the world but most of all I know you can reach your goal because you want to