Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I really need a support system to help with eating and exercising. My friend is constantly saying im not losing enough not exercising enough and not attractive. Ive come to the realization that i didnt gain weight over night and im not going to lose it over night. It sucks when people dont understand the years of hurt from being overweight and cant be supportive.

This is just my two cents...I would tell my friend that I'm bothered by her lack of support and would prefer not to discuss weight, fitness or food....but really want to continue the friendship (if you do) as long as those topics are off the table. It might be that she is jealous or there could be a bajillion reasons she is not able to be supportive...key thing is you don't have to figure that out...that is her problem...

On the flip side...you go girl! Rah Rah for you! You are an amazing person and will do things in your own time and your own way. As long a you are following drs orders you are accountable only to yourself! Consider me a cheerleading squad...but please don' ask me to do a literal back flip...it would be dangerous :P

Your friend is an inconsiderate ass. You'll lose weight instantly by getting rid of him or her; that would be really attractive.

Concern yourself with your own thoughts and feelings. This journey is difficult enough without the infiltrating, negative thoughts of someone else. Value yourself, love yourself, and value your own thoughts. Do the things you know you need to because it's the right thing to do on your path to health. Best wishes to you and that hatin' ass friend in your life.

lauren it sure doesn't sound like your friend is really being a friend. Please try to surround yourself with positive people.

This website can offer you a TON of support, guidance, info, encouragement, and I recommend you find support here from folks like us who DO understand. In the real world, you'll have to just filter out those who don't understand and/or aren't sympathetic. I would have a serious talk with myself about what makes a friend a friend, and do I have room for negative people in my life?

This 'friend' you refer to is just noise. Please dismiss him or her. You have embarked on a project that will change your life. Just keep your eye on the prize! YOU have the power to eat well and exercise. YOU have the power to make your life what you want it to be. Screw the critics and naysayers!

Onward!!!!

:D

Wait did you call this person a friend? I would hate to see an enemy! This is a life changing time for you and getting rid of toxic people could easily help you lose a few hundred lbs. I am almost 3 months out and saw my dietitian today. After the way in I was totally disappointed I had only lost 35 lbs since my surgery date. When the doctor came in the first thing she said was "congratulations on the good job you are doing, you have met our initial expectation of 35lbs in 3 months" (which was never told to me). I realized that I have been letting other people's opinions and journey get in the way of me appreciating my own. This is your journey don't let anybody steal your joy.

I agree-doesn't sound like much of a friend. I had friends that asked how I made my decision and I respected that. If a "friend" put me down like that, I don't think they would still be my friend.

I'm still fairly new and it is truly inspiring all of the encouragement and information you can get on this forum! You will soon find that whatever is happening, you are not alone. Someone has been through it and their story/advice will help & inspire you!

I see you're from Missouri. I'm in St. Louis County. Feel free to message me anytime!!! Good luck & be strong on this exciting journey :D

Thanks everyone i always feel better after posting on here. Its always motivating to here you guys opinions. I told my friend to not talk about my weight if its not supportive.

"Lay aside every....weight that doth so easily beset us."

In other words, get rid of non-supportive, toxic people ("friends who aren't") from your life.

I really need a support system to help with eating and exercising. My friend is constantly saying im not losing enough not exercising enough and not attractive. Ive come to the realization that i didnt gain weight over night and im not going to lose it over night. It sucks when people dont understand the years of hurt from being overweight and cant be supportive.

You actually have a FRIEND who tells you you are NOT attractive? Amazing that you have the kindness of heart to still refer to this person as a friend.

You need a new friend. Anyone who says things like that is not your friend. This world is tough enough without "friends" like that.

Some friend. Ain't nobody got time for that!

He's/she's not your friend. Tell him/her to suck it.

That is no friend. I've had people in my life like that before. Cut them off cold turkey! Being alone is far better than being with someone like that. It is cruel. You are brave and working to change your life. Please, drop that "friend" asap. I promise you will be glad later.