Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I told my real immediate family only at first and no problems there.

Then slowly I told other people and never had a negative response from anyone, I was lucky.

Unfortunately you don't know how people will react so be prepared if it doesn't go like you expected it to.

Keep your guard up just in case someone gives you negativity and don't let anyone deter you from doing what you want to do for yourself.

You go with it and best wishes for a successful surgery.

I told everyone even strangers. Most people were either supportive or curious.

I was at 220 when I had my surgery, when I lost 60+ lbs in 5 months my co workers looked at me strange some asked if I was ok... So if they asked I would tell them that I had weight loss surgery...but I could feel the stares of my concerned coworkers whom I'm sure thought I was sick. But it's a personal choice. It's nobody's business, I just felt like I would rather let them know then for them to think I was sick or was dying they seemed more concerned then just being nosey!

I had some weight to lose prior to surgery approval. The people at work have watched me struggle over the last few years. I felt that I would have another support base by telling them of my plans. They have been wonderful the whole way. I'm still out on LOA until 9/10 but I get calls and texts to check on me. It been only positive for me tell people of my surgery.

I told everyone before having it done. I felt like they needed to know what to expect. Well, except one...when I began to lose weight, he asked his dad if I was sick or something because of the weight loss. I'm his dad's room mate, His dad told him "no it's the weight loss surgery she had". I thought it was funny.

Edited by tmartin1023

I actually told my very closest friends first. I knew my parents weren't going to be accepting at first so I waited until the surgery was approved and the date was set to tell them. Mainly my support system knows. I found myself explaining it to the waitress last night when all I had was water...While my husband and mother in law and child are dining like royalty in front of me... ok sorry side track. Lol. You know your people and who they are. Don't worry about them. Have you decided to do this for yourself? My husband told my dad when he was saying negative things "would you rather her stay unhealthy and unable to loose the weight or have an opportunity to succeed with weight loss and be happy?" That is pretty much it!

I told all of my family and others as I felt like it . I feel I have saved my life so it doesn't bother me to tell. I have received no negative responses. Always have been good or curious about it and they ask questions.

I told a couple of siblings, someone I work with, my husband and my best friend. Basically the ones I would'nt be able to keep it from. As much research as I've done on my own, I didn't want to listen to anyone negative. I'll tell more as time goes on...I think I'm down about 25 pounds now so the time is coming to sing.

I am impressed with your husbands response to your father then. :D

I. Don't plan on telling anyone except my mother and my daughter knows. I don't feel ashamed I just have better things to do than constantly explaining my procedure and I why I chose this as opposed to dieting lol. Most people don't understand the amount of testing, debating, research,praying, and soul searching that is done before we even get to that first seminar and dr's appt. so I think I'll spare them and myself the time and the reliving if a terrifying ordeal.

I am telling people who ask. I'm almost 5 months out now. My kids are very active so I know a lot of people through them. Most I would not consider my friends, but I see them a lot. Some people ask how much I've lost and then the follow up question is how. The how usually comes from people who are struggling to drop some weight. I think it's an innocent question. Some times people just look at me funny. I was tailgating last weekend. Women asked and we had a great conversation about it. Today I saw 2 women at field hockey who have not seen me in months. I've lost 70 pounds. It's really obvious. They said nothing at all. Honestly I'd rather people tell me I look good and ask how I did it.

<p>I am telling people who ask. I'm almost 5 months out now. My kids are very active so I know a lot of people through them. Most I would not consider my friends, but I see them a lot. Some people ask how much I've lost and then the follow up question is how. The how usually comes from people who are struggling to drop some weight. I think it's an innocent question. Some times people just look at me funny. I was tailgating last weekend. Women asked and we had a great conversation about it. Today I saw 2 women at field hockey who have not seen me in months. I've lost 70 pounds. It's really obvious. They said nothing at all. Honestly I'd rather people tell me I look good and ask how I did it. </p>

Thanks for your comment! What about coworkers? I work for the VA which is like a small town. I don't want to be part of the gossip!