Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein bars INSTEAD of shakes?

Big daddy wait til you start on solid food, its amazing how quickly you will get full. I'm full most of the time but have lost 75 pounds in 3 months.

Yea that's what I been told I will fill up fast , and sounds like your doing great , 75 down , that's great

Yeah I just have to learn patience. Its not going to drop off over night. Congrats on your surgery:)

Roostertail2,

Do you eat greek yogurt? I know it is not as much Protein as the shakes, but it does have a lot and you get Calcium as well. My first 3 weeks were miserable. I couldn't stomach much at all. I was so sick to my stomach I had a hard time getting anything down. Somehow stumbled on the crystal lite pink lemonade (settled my stomach). Was able to do yogurt, ate it a lot. Had to hold my breath to get the shakes down. Now 3 months out, and I can drink them, so it really changes. Try again a

little later. Hang in there. It will get better.

Thanks Jodi I am eating yogurt and as high Protein mushy stuff as I can tolerate. Weighed myself this morning and the number still has not moved! The only weight I have lost was the first few days after surgery... So frustrating considering the minuscule amount of food I am getting in! Great thing is I actually am never hungry I just make myself eat a few bites because I know I have to. Hoping I can make it to sept 11 when I am released to real food and can eat Protein Bars. Already ordered a couple of cases of Quest bars so I am ready! I have a LOT of hair so hopefully Hair loss won't be too bad??

Its funny but haven't lost any hair

• Im really hoping I don't either! I have very thick naturally curly hair. Its been my trademark my whole life - It could stand to be thinned a little but would prefer that happen via a hairstylist! lol

I would suggest you stay on the shakes until your Doc says your ready. I know it's a struggle but it's worth it. Hang in there and Congrats!

The biggest issue with not drinking the shakes is you aren't getting good Protein & you aren't getting that extra Fluid. Both the doctor & the nut said that in the first months that it was dehydration that was likely to send us back to the ER, that Protein Bar will sit like a brick. Your still healing stomach needs another few weeks to months before you even think about something like that. Talk to your nutritionist all your food should be moist right now, try finding some unflavored Protein Powder & putting it in your yogurt sprinkling it in unexpected places or picking up the protein fruit juice. You are severely malapsorptive still your body needs that protein just not in the dry bar form - the first bite might go down ok but you likely will suffer thru the subsequent bites.

The biggest issue with not drinking the shakes is you aren't getting good Protein & you aren't getting that extra Fluid. Both the doctor & the nut said that in the first months that it was dehydration that was likely to send us back to the ER, that protein bar will sit like a brick. Your still healing stomach needs another few weeks to months before you even think about something like that. Talk to your nutritionist all your food should be moist right now, try finding some unflavored protein powder & putting it in your yogurt sprinkling it in unexpected places or picking up the protein fruit juice. You are severely malapsorptive still your body needs that protein just not in the dry bar form - the first bite might go down ok but you likely will suffer thru the subsequent bites.

I have not eaten the bars- just have them ready so when nut clears me. I have tried the unflavored powder and it's not unflavored. It makes everything taste and smell like baby formula.. Just can't do that stuff. Hopefully my body will last for another 10 days until I am cleared for solids. I am taking Vitamins like I was directed..

How are you feeling and are you losing weight with the little Protein you get?

I'm down 20lbs so far which is ok I guess.. I just don't know how to get in everything I supposed to. Never been a big drinker so even Water is an issue. Most days I'm lucky just to get in 20oz. Then I'm supposed to eat 3 small meals and 2 Snacks while trying to down at least 60g of protein! Not able to do any of it so far! Lucky to get down 30g - 40g of Protein and that's thanks to the Quest bars. Snacks are out of the question since after eating my "meal" which is about 5 bites I am so full I could go rest of day without eating! I know I have got to get on a schedule it's just such a daunting task!!

I'm 5 months post op and my experience with Protein drinks has been funny. Pre-surgery I loved powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, any flavor. Then post surgery the only Protein Drink I could tolerate was Unjury strawberry. Now, a few months out the only Protein Drink I will drink is nectar Pink Grapefruit. So bizarre. I recommend giving it some time and trying Protein Drinks again later. Also, look online for sampler packs of various flavors. I bought lots of them and then ordered the big tubs of the ones I liked...of course I still have vanilla and chocolate flavors from pre-surgery and I can't tolerate anything vanilla or chocolate now!