Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is it weird or should I be greatful?

I am 8 days post op and as silly as it is, I wonder if things are on track food wise. My program called for a clear liquid diet for the week following surgery and I had no issues at all with it. No hunger (head or otherwise). I did have issues with plain Water but I think that was just not liking it due to taste more then anything. Caffeine withdrawal headaches were sucky so I drank enough iced tea to combat this (I know...bad lol) but it did boost my Fluid intake. I had my post op class 6 days out and was fed my first meal. I ate 1/2 HB egg and an ounce of refried Beans. No problems but then again, I still had no real hunger. I was released to eat most items at that time with a restriction on whole grains (6 months out) and raw veggies (2 months out) and beef/lamb/pork (8 months out). Now for the weird (or not?) part. All my meals since have gone down fine. Greek yogurt, refried beans, Protein Drinks, ckn tortilla Soup, scrambled egg with a few sautéed mushrooms ...and so have all fluids ... even coffee. I have yet to "gulp" liquids but a normal mouthful is no problem. I have not had anything stuck, I never get a full felling though I stop myself at the allowed ounces (2-4) at meal times and I an fine with it. I don't get hungry even watching food commercials ... just that nostalgic desire to nibble. Am I just lucky? Is this weird? Prior to surgery I read so many with pouch issues...dumping syndrome... pouches that can only handle a few bites or certain things .... tastes that have changed ... unable to tolerate Protein drinks ....and I have none of this! Logically I know my surgeon did the procedure but it seems so unreal to not have any issues. So what do you think .... extremely luck or oddly weird??? It does kind of worry me and makes me fearful that if I have no issues...it will be that much harder to stay on track ...

I feel the same way. It's almost too good to be true, so I'm wondering when the other shoe is gonna drop. I did have a food sticking incident, but other than that, been pretty easy. Not hungry at all and seem to be tolerating most things. Though, I haven't tried too many different things. Basically all of the things you mentioned plus canned chicken. I'm about 4 weeks out now. I should try new things, but maybe I'm afraid to push my luck. I have a feeling we're not alone though.

I have not had those issues either. However my hunger came back. It took awhile but it came back. Be careful with the caffeine. I am over 1 year out and still do not drink it.

Me, too. I have always had an Iron stomach and apparently still do. I only had dumping syndrome once. Have been able to eat almost anything. I do sometimes get hungry but it just takes a bite to satisfy it thankfully. And I don't get the headaches like I used to when I was hungry! I think this is probably the norm and the ones who do have the problems are the exception. But when the bad things happen, that is when you reach out to talk about it or ask questions so those are what you hear about. I love this forum for that reason. It is great to find supportive people when you go through difficult times. And in really great times, like you are going through! Keep it up!

Yep, same here, no issues whatsoever. I have, as @@esskay77 said an Iron stomach, I have never ever throw up in my whole entire life, surgery was easy, no pain and I was on solids on day 10 after surgery!!! No issues, no dumping, I can tolerate any food, meet, veggies, sweets, only in small quantities.

I think we are just very very lucky. I am thankful every single day for my smooth recovery.

Same here. I don't dump at all. I only get sick if I don't chew enough or eat too much, or if I have anything greasy/oily. Also, I've found that I really can't tolerate beef or much pork. So I've cut out all meat except for chicken, turkey, and tuna.

Keep in mind that you're insides are still numb from surgery. Eventually, as you try more things, you'll find things you can't tolerate as well. For now, be glad it's going so well. Just don't push it too much! At 8 days I wasn't even on soft foods yet :-/

Edited by pookybear

I'm 11 months out and just like you ladies....smooth recovery, no problem at all with any foods, able to drink any amount. I never have felt full. I consider all of this a mixed blessing. Im now sliding back into bad habits and have started gaining again. Very disappointed in myself!

I'm 11 months out and just like you ladies....smooth recovery, no problem at all with any foods, able to drink any amount. I never have felt full. I consider all of this a mixed blessing. Im now sliding back into bad habits and have started gaining again. Very disappointed in myself!

2 weeks and 3 days out and I have had no hunger or wanting Snacks feed doesn't bother me at all, I even cook for the family and watch them eat while I eat my 2 ounces of cottage cheese and 1 ounce of applesauce LOL !

My recovery has pretty much been the same. I have only had incident of food getting stuck and that was tuna. Very scary, thought I was having a heart attack. It will be a long time before I try tuna again. Other than that everything has been great. I do get full if I eat a really dense Protein like chicken or pork. I can drink as much as I want I don't have to sip but I don't gulp my drinks down either. I hope everyone's recovery keeps going smoothly.