Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have went through 2 c-sections, and 2 other major abdominal surgeries and in no way needed two weeks of round the clock care. 2-3 days seems quite sufficient for this surgery as long as you get up and start moving as soon as possible! My friend had the gastric sleeve 4 months ago and was up and about within 3 days, and wanting to go back to work by the next week and she was larger than me.

I'm just saying I would be one miserable you know what if I had to stay there that long!

Sorry for the confusion. The surgery that I had previously in Mexico was not bariatric surgery. It was plastic surgery. Specifically an extended Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, breast lift with implants, and all over body sculpting with Lipo. It was days before I could even get out of bed on my own, much less shower, use the toilet etc. Had I not had the round the clock nursing care I received, I would have depended on family members to do everything for me. At the time I had that surgery, I was on forums for plastic surgery (very similar to these forums) and I heard stories from dozens of people having their surgery around the same time as me and all of the trials and tribulations they had to endure after being sent home only a day or two post-op. I had the luxury of staying in a facility with adjustable hospital beds, 24/7 nursing care, and all of my meals prepared for me, meeting all of my surgeon's nutritional requirements. It gave me the opportunity to recover in comfort, cared for by people who knew exactly what I needed.

Bariatric surgery has a much less significant recovery time, so I see no reason why someone would need round-the clock care for more than a day or two at most.

But this silliness that Mexico is somehow natively a better place to have surgery is ... well, silly. Cheaper, yes. But better? I've seen zero evidence for that.

Who said or implied that? All I said is that the OP shouldn't be so quick to assume that "foreign" surgeons are inherently worse than US surgeons.

Are there Mexican surgeons that are definitely worse and more risky than most US surgeons? Absolutely. But that's where research comes in. I would definitely not go to any surgeon that I thought was putting my life at any more risk than the inherent risk associated with any surgery, no matter what country they were in and no matter how much money it might save me.

Sorry for the confusion. The surgery that I had previously in Mexico was not bariatric surgery. It was plastic surgery. Specifically an extended Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, breast lift with implants, and all over body sculpting with Lipo. It was days before I could even get out of bed on my own, much less shower, use the toilet etc. Had I not had the round the clock nursing care I received, I would have depended on family members to do everything for me. At the time I had that surgery, I was on forums for plastic surgery (very similar to these forums) and I heard stories from dozens of people having their surgery around the same time as me and all of the trials and tribulations they had to endure after being sent home only a day or two post-op. I had the luxury of staying in a facility with adjustable hospital beds, 24/7 nursing care, and all of my meals prepared for me, meeting all of my surgeon's nutritional requirements. It gave me the opportunity to recover in comfort, cared for by people who knew exactly what I needed.

Bariatric surgery has a much less significant recovery time, so I see no reason why someone would need round-the clock care for more than a day or two at most.

Agree. Not trying to promote mexico or any other place but I wanted the extra care post plastics I got in mexico and could not afford here.

For bariatric surgery. ..I have a strong bias for local but for a different reason...follow up and support! !!

I am not being clear. Plastics, once you heal you are pretty much done. Bariatric has so many emotional and longer term implications I love having a strong local team that extends way beyond the surgeon himself.

So sorry things didn't work out, at least not for now. But good for you keeping that head up and not giving up on getting healthier. That's what really counts! Good luck to you.

Gotchaby, these things change constantly. Keep checking back frequently with your provider.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Thank you :) Me and my husband are looking at other options, He is paying over $630 a month for family coverage and it's just me now that it's covering so I am looking at other insurance companies that have major medical, it's just all so overwhelming. But in the meantime, I'm just going to try to do better in the gym and with my food intake, that's all I can do. Not gonna beat myself up right now.

And thanks Ann, I won't give up!

Edited by Gotchaby1

check into when the open enrollment period is and what your choices are, what insurances cover bariatrics and plastics. meanwhile start doing the necessary documentation as people mention various requirements preop, which vary a lot. you could be doing your surgery in just a few mos depending on when your open enrollment happens and whether the company has a 3 month waiting period. and mexico options dont sound so bad, and I am a nurse... research and prepare. love sara

The most important thing is U are not giving up....and i totally agree with you.... the choice u made not to travel out of the country....good luck

I would consider financing or even look into the weight loss charity organization headed by carnie Wilson and others you can perhaps get help through them. I would not under any circumstances go to Mexico. They are still using the outlawed bands (from U.S.) that our surgeons stopped using years ago. You also may have difficulty getting a Dr. here to do your fills or post op care. This is my opinion so everybody back off...I know it's cheap there but you sometimes get what you pay for. I hope you find a way to get your surgery. You won't be sorry. go to Lapbandliving.com for more info on the WLS charity.

Sharpie. ..not jumping on you. I was revised from band to sleeve years ago, so no skin in the band situation. .just wondering what type were made illegal in the usa?

realize 4 cc bands were outlawed in the u.s. some Mexican surgeons still use them.. have had several stories about failure and inability to get follow up care in u.s. when you go to Mexico . I am sure like everything else there are success stories from Mexico as well. I personally would not want to get my surgery in another Country, if I could help it. sometimes if you talk to the surgeon you can negotiate price if you are paying cash..