Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is hummus good to eat for the sleeve?

Yes it is. Its a healthy low fat food and it tastes great. Problem is... you don't need to be eating pita bread with that. Depending on how far out you are, try eating it with some veggies or a few whole wheat crackers. It's a go to snack food for me. I love it.

I ate it straight with a (tiny) spoon in puréed stage. Now that you mention it, I may get some tomorrow to dip my veggies in.

Edited by Kindle

It's great from grocery store but if you go to an Islamic restaraunt as I did 2 weeks out and it has a humongous amount of olive oil take a pass

No olive oil ?

So you don't eat it with olive oil ?

I use hummus as a dip for my veggies. It is made with chick peas and olive oil so you really have to watch the nutrition labels. I personally LOVE the garlic hummus and eat it with raw carrot chips or any other veggie. I have also used it on grilled chicken strips too.

It does have a pretty good nutritional profile on most of the retail brands in the store. If you want more control over how much fat or oil are in your hummus, it is super easy to make your own at home! Do a search for healthy hummus recipe and it should give you a direction to start. I am planning in making some post op with unflavored Protein Powder and maybe make a basil or pesto flavor and see how that tastes. The chickpeas have a pretty mild flavor that lends itself to many flavor varieties. Give it a try and let us know what you think of it.

Basil hummus and pesto hummus sounds good so does the garlic .

I also like taking a avacodo and use it instead of mayo for tuna .

LOVE hummus unfortunately many moons ago in my past life i learned to eat it with crispy pita chips which i would want to stay away from now. that combo would definitely be a slider for me and i could really go overboard!

these days i would use it with carrots, celery, radishes, etc.

It's great with veggies and there are plenty of "flavors" so the variety is there as well. I try not to snack much but I do eat hummus and veggies as part of my meals.

As everyone else said watch the nutritional content.

Hummus has been one of my staple foods post op. Lots of nutritional benefits but of course it's the delivery mechanism that usually makes it a problem . For that reason I've always just eaten it plain with a spoon and love it .

i used a cheese stick to scoop it up! lol

you can also look for paleo cracker recipes. grain free, usually made with almond or coconut flour.

i was very excited i could eat it with raw carrots last week. raw veggies dont always sit well. yay!

I now love Hummus now. Never used too. I don't eat bread all that much but I do eat pita bread at times. Reason why it doesn't clump in my tummy. I also use Hummus to dip my veggies in as well. I chose to watch my carbs but not go over board with going low carb.

I freeze it in half tsp size balls and then eat it frozen as a finger food! Weird I know but started as a way to keep it from going bad in the fridge bc the rest of my family won't eat it.

I also have a recepie for Choc chip "cookie dough" hummus! It adds Peanut Butter and a touch of maple Syrup and a few semi sweet Choc chips and tastes just like Cookie dough! Satisfies my sweet tooth!