Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is my first time posting to any sort of support group. I am feeling down and discouraged today. I was sleeved on August 5th. Had a rough 3 days in the hospital. I have been on the liquid diet. I'm supposed to be able to do puréed foods now but it seems that everytime I swallow everything gets stuck and so eating has become a time I dread! I'm hungry but afraid to eat.

Then today I went back to work thinking I would be ready. That was a fail. I had to come back home and request more time off. I have lost 21lbs. Which I am greatful for but all together just down in the dumps today. How month before y'all went back to work or felt normal? Does this feeling when I eat go away? Please share your experience with me

I went to my Dr today to sign my consent papers. Friday the 22nd is my pre op and then surgery on the 29th. I'm getting so excited about it. My Dr also put me on a Protein diet until my surgery so I'm enjoying my good today. Lol.

@@abbyt don't be afraid to go back to full liquids for a couple of weeks if you need to. Not everyone can tolerate purees so early out. I was on full liquids for four weeks before transitioning to purees!

If you do want to keep trying food, just make sure that you take super tiny bites and eat really, really slowly. That may help. Good luck!

I think your body starts to feel run down after enough weeks on liquids, and then having surgery on top of it, and that can totally make you feel down in the dumps. I did, too. Once I was able to start having puréed Soups with meat and veggies in them, it made a huge difference in how I felt. Hang in there, you'll start to feel better as you heal. Some of us just need a little extra time. :)

You will feel better soon! I actually had my sleeve created on a Friday and went back to work the following Wed. As far as food getting stuck, it still does. I just have to remember to chew, chew, chew and eat slowly. Maybe you should try going back to liquids.

Everything the previous posers said are Truths. It is okay to advance your diet slower than the guidelines. You will feel better and better every week that passes. Suddenly one day you will start drinking and eating and feel 'normal' afterward. Your energy levels will rise as your Protein and Water intake rise.

I had a constant feeling of "Blech" for the first several weeks. It got so I was dreading eating and drinking. It finally dawned on me that the Water I was struggeling to force down throughout the day was way to heavy and dense for me! I switched to diet iced tea and viola! A total turn about in my daily feelings of blech. That was several weeks ago and I am now able to drink water again without adverse effects.

Hang in there. What they say is true....it get's better!

I burst into tears about a week after surgery because I couldn't get down some Tomato Soup which I had really been craving.

With all that's going on in your life right now, it's no surprise that you're feeling down. You've gone through a HUGE change and you're learning how to live with it and that's a big deal! If you're like me, eating was a huge comfort and losing that coping mechanism definitely caused some dark days. Be patient with yourself and your diet. Everyone is different, so don't feel like you have to follow your prescribed diet exactly. I agree with what everyone is saying about not being afraid to go back to liquids for awhile. I used to dread eating too until I realized that it's my body and it's telling me what it does and does not want. If Protein shakes are the best I can do right now, I'll give it a few days and try again. As long as you're taking your Vitamins, getting your exercise, and hitting your daily nutritional goals you're all set. I hope you start to feel better soon!!