Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI 31; WLS 8/18/14; SW 200 lbs; GW 130; 5'6"; 35 yro

Hi August Sleevers!

I just had my sleeve done yesterday!!!!! I'm sitting in the hospital recovering as we speak!! I would love to connect and follow/support anyone else who is in the same ball park as me.

Surgery August 18, 2014

SW: 200 lbs

GW: 130 lbs

Height: 5'6 3/4" (almost 5'7")

My goal was to lose 50lbs to get to 150 lbs. Doctor said no, your goal is 130 lbs. You can expect to be there in 6 months. (given I follow the rules and do as I'm told.)

I have struggled for just the past 5 years since I was 29 with weight ever since I first got pregnant. I had my second child 2 years ago and gave myself a strong 2 years of strict HCG/low carb/HIIT training -and could never get past 175. This was under the supervision of my physician.

This is, I feel, the last tool in the tool box to regain my life!!! Stop hiding behind my kids in every picture, stop passing on parties with old friends because of my embarrassment of my body and to bring my sexy back in the bedroom that I once had!!! ((((husband jumping up and down in the background))) lol

Please connect with me if you are in a similar boat. I'd love to find some buddies who are going through a similar experience as me.... (Lower BMI, athlete under the fat, working mom, etc)

Cheers!!!!

Edited by LucianaVictoria

Hi there,

Congrats! My surgery is Friday morning and I'm getting nervous. How do you feel? Would love to keep in touch.

My BMI is 40. I'm 5'6-1/2". I weigh about 260. I started gaining weight in my twenties after my first child. I hovered between 200 and 220 until I had to take a thyroid suppressor. I gained 40 pounds in the last year. I'm ready to do this but the butterflies have set in.

So I'm 48 hours post surgery. I wish I was still in the hospital as the ivy drugs made me feel like I could start doing squats. Once home, it's much harder. Stay on top of the pain meds. I gulped 3 big gulps of Water in the middle of the night totally forgetting about the small sips and almsot fell over and died. I called the doctor and got my scolding as this is a big no no.

Have forced myself to drink my Protein drinks which I quite like. But zero appetite. A level 5-6 pain level (I was like a 1-3 range in the hospital) - but I mistakenly stepped on the scale just to "see" - and was 10 lbs heavier!!!!

I have to guess this is from the drugs and surgery. Tons and Tons of swelling.

Would love to know how long this swelling goes on for and when I can walk and function normally again. I guess it's a long 2-4 weeks of 10 min walks and broth based liquids.

Would love to hear other's story's!

On2Living! Good Luck this Friday! I'll keep my eyes out for your next posts!!!

I'm 209lbs, 5"3. Surgery date is Oct.20th. I'm really anxious to read a follow up post from you! How are you? How has your journey been? I'm almost there...any feedback that you can provide would be helpful!!!

Hi there,

The first couple of days were a bit rough but in the hospital they give you better meds so it made up for it. After that, I felt better everyday. Following the docs instructions helped. It's funny. When you take all food away and introduce things back one at a time, the simplest things are delicious. My favorite meal while on soft foods was canned chicken and cottage cheese. I'm just now able to get to 800 calories a day. To do it, I drink one or two strawberry powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes. I love it mixed in Water. It was important to get there because I was really tired when I wasn't eating enough. I'm on a regular diet now but can't eat more than a half a cup at a sitting. I don't regret this at all. I feel great and have lost 22 pounds. I use my Fitbit and myfitnesspal app to track every step and but of food and Water. I will probably drink a premier Protein every morning for the foreseeable future because it has 30 grams of Protein and gets me halfway to my goal in one go.

A few days before my surgery I had doubts and wondered what I had signed up for. I think this is normal. I was terrified. I spent the first couple of weeks sleeping a lot and concentrating on drinking my shakes. Each day my husband and I would walk our dogs to the end of our culdesac. It was hard at first but got better. The more you do, the more you can do. :-)

Can't wait to see them. Best of luck. Sending good thoughts your way! Keep in touch. I'm here if you have any other questions.

Checking in to see how you are doing and feeling? I had my surgery August 11th, so glad I did it but it has not been easy. Down 35 lbs :). Everyday I introduce something back in my system. Amazed how things can be really good or really bad.

Hello,

Congrats!!

Just wondering if you were self-pay or did your insurance cover? I have been researching and want the surgery but dont think my insurance will cover. My BMI is 35.

My insurance covered 100%. My BMI was just over 40. 35 is more challenging. You have to have other issues such as type 2 diabetes usually to be covered.

Great job KariBari! I'm down at least 21 from my start. I'm traveling on business and don't have access to a scale. I'll weigh again Saturday. Friday is five weeks post-op.

Part of me is scared that I will be the one that just doesn't lose anymore weight. I need to think positively. IT is hard to manage my new eating plan when traveling internationally. There's a lot of guessing. But my sleeve restriction really helps. I've passed on every dessert and continued to focus on Protein. Love the strawberry powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury packets. They are great for travel.

Sleeved this morning!!! Surprisingly, I'm feeling not too bad. Been up walking around the floor several times. Nothing to drink today. Tomorrow starts my liquids. Other than feeling groggy from the anesthesia, I feel great!!!!!

HW 224 SW 200 GW 130

Day 2, a little sore but feeling ok. Having a leak test in a little bit so that I can start liquids and prepare for discharge; if all goes well.

Any advice; as I begin my new journey?

I am so happy for you! Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Can't wait to follow your progress!

The biggest things for me the first few days were pain management and managing my liquids. I used those little plastic 2T measuring cups to drink my liquids. I set my timer for 15 minutes and would drink every 15 minutes. When you aren't drinking a shake, drink Water. You will struggle to drink enough Water and shakes at the beginning. The timer really help.

I had that anti nausea medication that lasted a week. I could tell when it wore off. Keep the zophran nearby if you need it. You do not want to vomit. I haven't even once and am so glad. They are fairly stingy with the pain meds, which is a good thing since they are powerful drugs. Don't be afraid to ask for a refill if you need it.

And track everything. My fitness pal is awesome.

I was 8 weeks out last Friday and lost 31 pounds. As of yesterday, I'm down 33.

Same boat as you I'm 5'6 my heaviest was 226. Had surgery in June. Down to 180. I'm very happy with my results so far. My goal is 150. I'm down to a size 10 jeans, from a tight 16. I have two kids, my before kids weight was around 145. So 150 will be great for me! Good luck, this was the best decision for me! I love the sleeve. I also work out 3x week.