Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is reasoning for not drinking water with meals?

2 weeks out, doing well. Dr. said I could start experimenting with normal foods (which I have fully taken advantage of and am loving.) However, I think the part I'm struggling most with is forgetting that I'm not supposed to drink with my meals.

I've done it multiple times and haven't noticed problems. What is the reason behind this again? Is it just they don't want you to flush the food any faster since you don't eat as much?

What is the reason behind this again? Is it just they don't want you to flush the food any faster since you don't eat as much?

Exactly!

I believe it so you don't get full from the drink.

Lucky I wish I was I to normal foods! It's almost 2 weeks and now I'm on creamy stuff then they want Nero do purees then finally normal food.

I'm surprised you did ok with drinking while eating. Most people (like myself) throw up if they eat and drink at the same time.

I'm surprised you did ok with drinking while eating. Most people (like myself) throw up if they eat and drink at the same time.

Well that's what I wondered... I didn't know if it was for a reactionary reason like throwing up, and I just got lucky? Or if it was for health-based reasons.

When I eat and drink too soon, my stomach is overly full, then I start burping, and with one good burp...everything comes back up. Sorry...gross.

flush the food any faster since you don't eat as much?

@@PlzCoolerMe

you hit the nail on the head :)

hope you didn't hurt your thumb :lol:

many people including myself have always drank with their food

all of a sudden being told to "knock it off" (drinking w/meals) can be hard to deal with :angry:

good luck newbie :)

kathy

To prevent drinking with meals don't fill a glass with liquid and set it next to your plate while eating. Keep the liquids away.

You may have to set a timer when you finish eating to help you get used to the timing between eating and when you can drink again.

Interesting topic! I was told it flushes the nutrients out of your system but I think all of the above are true. after eating I go and keep busy for an hour so not to think about it. It is a hard new habit for sure.

liquids will keep you from getting enough food nutrients in because the liquids will take up space in your tummy that should be filled with food. Don't put liquids on the table when you eat. Drinking with meals is just another habit we all have to break. Fortunately for me I was never a big liquid drinker with my meals anyway.

When I eat and drink too soon, my stomach is overly full, then I start burping, and with one good burp...everything comes back up. Sorry...gross.

This has never happened to me. And I've totally downed a drink mid-meal w/o even realizing more than once. So I'm not sure that it happens to everyone. But it can happen.

Hi all. There are actually a couple of reasons - some of which have already been stated. If your tummy gets full on liquids, it will not be full of Protein and that means you get hungry way sooner. Additionally, it flushes food through your stomach faster which doesn't allow for the brain belly connection to occur that says, " I ate this and now my stomach is full " because when your tummy is full of fluids or very liquid-esque things, it acts like a funnel instead of an actual stomach. Additionally, our stomachs are now much weaker in the way of crushing power and stomach acids / gastric juices - diluting what little acid we do have disrupts digestion. Hope this helps

What SandeeD said. Also, you can risk stretching your pouch by drinking and eating at the same time. That was enough to stop me in my tracks!

Good luck!!

What SandeeD said. Also, you can risk stretching your pouch by drinking and eating at the same time. That was enough to stop me in my tracks!

Good luck!!

I don't understand how it could be anymore risky drinking Water with meal than the risk of just over-eating on your own with food only...