Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feelling bad about not exercising...

I am a little over 3 weeks out.. oh and stalled and haven't really done much for exercise. I went for a walk two weeks ago, walked for about an hour and really felt pain for several days. My incisions are stiched to my stomach muscles and I could tell that I did something wrong. I have been coming up with lots of excuses.. it's too hot, I don't want to hurt myself again.. blah blah.. at what point did you really put yourself in gear and start walking to lose the weight?

I walked since the day after surgery - it made me feel better.

I hit the gym at 6 week as OK'd by my doctor. By week 12, I was cleared for all exercise.

Honestly now, at almost 9 months, I feel bad when I don't exercise. It has become such a big part of my life - I made a goal for August to move my body every day...whether it's yoga, walking, biking, Pilates, etc. Just move.

Set goals and follow thru - soon, it will become a part of your new life. Excuses are part of your old life!

First, the dreaded 3 week stall happens to everybody. I know that wasn't your question but thought I'd put that out there. ????

Secondly, walking an hour that soon out seems like a LOT. While walking is awesome and we all need to do it, I think you should start off a little less ambitious and work yourself up to doing more. For me, that would be too much and I wouldn't be motivated to go out there and do it again. Try just walking for 30 minutes and then build from there.

Lastly, I'm almost 2 years out and I started working with a personal trainer at around 6 weeks out. I still work with him today. I needed that accountability. Someone who I knew was depending on me to show up. I also had that financial accountability that I was paying for a service. I do not think everyone should get a trainer, it's just what works for me. I also update my social media when I workout and it helps hold me accountable because my friends and family notice when I don't. It's also been helpful for them and a lot of friends have jumped on the fitness bandwagon...most have no idea I had surgery.

Hope this helps.

Good luck...you're going to do great!

I am super excited to get started, I have a gym at work and free personal training, I think I really just want to know that it's okay thatI haven't jumped in just yet. I know that I can't wait for it to be a part of my life, I have 4 awesome kiddos and a great husband and can't wait to do outdoor things as a family. I think I'll give it one more week and get busy.. starting with walking each day and then when cleared at my 2 month follow up, I'll get that trainer a run for their time :)

i started walking the day after surgery and have walked 5/7 days since then (8 wks out). the exception is THIS past week when i only walked 3 days, and i have GAINED 1.5 lbs this week. coorelation- definitely!

we are joining the "Y" this week and family is super excited!

Baby steps, five minutes at a time if that's all you can do. Don't overwhelm yourself, just get moving.

Edited by Cody's mom

At 3 weeks out I barely walked from room to room. You just had major surgery, I had a lot of pain so there was no way I was going to be walking a lot. I am just over 4 weeks now and still have some pain on the right side and I now do some walking but not a lot. I do not feel guilty. I was told I could only walk for 6 weeks only so I am doing it one day at a time. Hang in there and don't judge yourself by others. I keep reading people saying stuff like, "Hey, one week out and training for a 5k." Really? Good for them and I wish them well. =) Take care!

Oh, I see you are from AZ as well and you went to the same doctor's group. It is hotter than hell here now and that makes a big difference on how motivating it is to walk. What town do you live in do you mind me asking?

I am 4 weeks out but have been walking for a while. I started doing 15 min in the morning and 15 min in the evening, the next week I increased to 20-25 min twice a day and now I do two 30 min or one longer walk. It's just about getting yourself in a routine and to a point where it becomes natural like brushing your teeth! Don't be so hard on yourself you can do this! Good Luck :-)

Ask yourself how much loose skin you are willing to deal / live with and how much money you have to pay for plastics.

If you're like most of us, you have a good bit of weight to lose. If you lose that weight through meals alone, your body will show it in the end with significant, saggy skin. Any exercise would be better than nothing; you don't have to be in the gym like a pro athelete. Let go of all those excuses and ask yourself why you're making them in the first place. Catch yourself now. Regroup and start over.

Oh, I see you are from AZ as well and you went to the same doctor's group. It is hotter than hell here now and that makes a big difference on how motivating it is to walk. What town do you live in do you mind me asking?

Sheryl.. it's me. Samantha LOL!

Ask yourself how much loose skin you are willing to deal / live with and how much money you have to pay for plastics.

If you're like most of us, you have a good bit of weight to lose. If you lose that weight through meals alone, your body will show it in the end with significant, saggy skin. Any exercise would be better than nothing; you don't have to be in the gym like a pro athelete. Let go of all those excuses and ask yourself why you're making them in the first place. Catch yourself now. Regroup and start over.

Thanks for that. The excuse I am making at this time is the pain I get from walking for a normal period of time because my incisions are stiched to my stomach muscles, and like all muscles, walking contracts the muscles. Therefor making major pain for days following a good walk. I was posting more to see if anybody else had that issue around the same point in time as I did so I could get some advise on when I would be able to start walking like a normal timed walk, because I feel bad about the fact that I cannot walk like I think I should at this time.

@@Goddardgo, Oh my bad!!!! Lol! Sorry about that! I hope that pain eases soon enough for you. Best wishes!

I'm three weeks out today, and while I don't love to exercise, I figure the best way to really change my body is to do it! The weight is coming off, but exercising (both cardio and strength) are the best ways to shrink and tone and really show how much my body is changing. I don't want to wind up a skinny fat person! After going through all this hard work, I want to look how I feel! That's what motivates me to hit the gym! Three days of cardio and two days of strength per week. I'm sure it will really pay off in the end :)