Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am starting process of gastric bypass and scared help

Am starting the journey to have gastric bypass surgery and am scared to death! I have heard some horror stories! I have type one diabetes and celiac disease and really want to do this! I need input and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing please help

Hi, I can tell you from my experience only that bypass is AWESOME! I was a lapband revision to bypass on May 21,2014 and am doing great. I haven't had dumping but I really stay away from alcohol, carbs and sugars.. They just make me feel yucky. Which is good. I guess that is some type of dumping but I've never had diarrhea from foods or the sweating. I take all my Vitamins and I enjoy them lol I take gummies and extra B12 and biotin.. My hair is now thick and so are my nails. Other than the shock of not drinking alcohol it's been amazing. I just find the alcohol gives me headaches even when I sip.. So it's not fun for me anymore lol

Am starting the journey to have gastric bypass surgery and am scared to death! I have heard some horror stories! I have type one diabetes and celiac disease and really want to do this! I need input and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing please help

What are your specific fears?

I can tell you my personal experience was 100% positive. The surgery itself was my biggest worry. I was afraid of the pain and was expecting the worst considering the amount of internal rearranging they do. Recovery for me was surprisingly quick and the pain wasn't as bad as I feared. My rotator cuff surgery and gallbladder removal were both way worse as far as the pain went. With my RNY I was off daytime pain meds in four days, stopped night time dosage in six days, and didn't even need Tylenol after that. I was cutting my grass in eight days and the second week off from work felt more like vacation time than recovery time.

My doctor set no goals for me. He asked me what I hoped to gain from the surgery and I told him I wanted to be healthy, live longer, and live my life instead of watching it go by. He said that was reasonable and felt I could certainly attain that. I figured if I could reach a size 12 or 14 I'd be happy enough there. In my wildest dreams I never thought I'd be where I am now!

My surgery was 5/30/13. I started w/a BMI of 47 and had severe back, knee, and foot pain, was on cholesterol meds, and was pre-diabetic. I'm only 5' tall and I was in a 2X top and 22W bottoms. I was unable to do anything with my physically fit husband. I was 53 and felt 70. If something didn't change soon I would die young, or live a very poor quality of life until I died (to me that would be worse than dying young). I've lost 120 pounds and I now wear a size S top and 6P bottoms. My back, knee, and foot pain is completely gone. My cholesterol is normal so I'm off those meds. I feel great, have TONS of energy, and am no longer a couch potato. It's the best thing I have ever done and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner...

Edited by terry1118

I too am preparing for surgery....just got insurance approval this week! YAH I am a bit nervous too of the surgery part but I know I CAN DO THIS! When is your surgery scheduled for?

I am just starting my RNY/bypass journey also. I am in the process of getting my evaluations and medical clearances. I hope to get insurance clearance by or before the end of September. I totally understand about being nervous. I am nervous and excited all at the same time. The anticipation is the hardest for me right now. I really appreciate everyone on this website for giving insight to what to expect and sharing their stories. I do not have a lot of people to talk to so this is very helpful. I look forward to going on this journey with those of you who are new as well. My doctor has been very thorough. I saw him last month, July. I have since had a series of blood test (Labs), Upper GI series (radiology), abdominal ultra sound(radiology), and next week I will have an EGD (endoscopy) following my consult with the gastroenterologist on 08/19/14.

My next appointment with my surgeon is September 18th, which also happens to be my son's birthday. He will turn 22. I have two children. My daughter is 26. My husband of 27 years is supportive but not very talkative about my decision right now. I know that I can count on him though. He's a runner. I look forward to being out there with him soon. I may not be running but at least I will be out there doing something! Thanks for reading and listening. :)

I could not have had a better experience than I did...very little pain, no nausea or vomiting, no dumping and no foamies. I could have written the above post by Terry1118, just I am not finished losing yet. I know I will sail there! I am also type 1 diabetic, and high Col; BP; BS; all well under control now. This is by far the best thing I ever did for myself. (And here I thought the total hysterectomy and the total knee were the bomb!) 72 pounds since I started the pre-op diet June 1st, with surgery July 1st. My motto is 'You can do anything you want to; you just have to WANT to.' GO FOR IT!

Ok thank you I am feeling better already ..... I hope more positive feedback comes

And I am a mother of twins also. Mine are 28. :-)

My twins are 14 and boy they keep me going. I have a rough year and am taking this step to hopefully get my type 1 diabetes under controlled . I am 42 and was just diagnosed in January with type 1! I was just recently 2 weeks ago diagnosed with ulcers, acid reflux and celiac disease. I am hoping this will help me get everything under control! I am just scared it won't work and I will have major complication

The complication rate it 1-3% nationally, I believe. The more experience a surgeon has the less chance of complications. My team's rate is less than 1%. Regardless of that, you could potentially be part of the 1%. The old saying goes "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst". I made a will (my husband didn't know this till after because he was already worried and I didn't want to totally freak him out) and I went out on FMLA just in case.

I was encouraged by the responses of people I could find who had complications. All of the ones I could find said that even though they had a difficult time they would still do it again. :-)

I was very nervous before my surgery as well. I had never had any major medical procedures or hospital stays. I was honest with my doctor, anesthesiologist, and nurses and they took excellent care of me. I did wake up in pain from the gas used to inflate my abdomen, but the pain meds helped and the worst was over in a few hours. I'm 10 days out from surgery and things have gone pretty smoothly.

It's normal to be nervous - this is a huge commitment. Acknowledge your feelings and talk about them with your healthcare team, they have done this before and will be able to help you work through it.

I have started my journey recently as well I made my final decision last month and have started all the necessary appointments. My surgeon is Dr. Brenda Cacucci with St. Vincent Bariatric Center of Excellence in Carmel, Indiana. I too have never had any surgeries only one stay in the hospital and am kind of nervous about the actual surgery part. From what I am reading though through this wonderful community is helping me ease some of that. I am starting my 6 month supervised diet this month and hope time goes quickly with that I have planned little things to look forward to so that I dint obsess every day about how many days until that 6 month mark or watch every YouTube video about surgery until my head explodes lol. I do find great support in these forums though even if I don't have one specific connection it's nice to know you are not the only one in this position since most of the people in our every day lives don't know what we are going through! Just my little story to join this convo!

@@Ethomas15 I'm overly investigative too. I've found looking everything up a few times (and maybe a few different ways and probably a little stalker-ish too) I've found the information to be comforting. I'm just now starting this journey too and as I begin to have my appointments the more I learn. I'm more afraid of failure afterword. It seems so daunting and unbelievable that my life can change so much.