Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever since I found out my surgery date (9-30-14) I have been very concerned about the Hair loss side effect. My hair is already very thin and I'm afraid after my surgery that I'm going to lose too much hair and that I'm going to have bald spots on my head. Has anyone else felt this way?? I'm even considering about buying the product Keranique. Anyone's input is appreciated, Thanks.

I've never heard of that product. I started losing hair after 2 1/2 months, still losing at 4 months out, but a month ago I started using Viviscal and I think it's working. My hair is still falling out, but not as much and I see a few tiny hairs regrowing under my bangs. I also use Organix Shampoo and conditioner, the purple bottle with Biotin in it. I take my Multivitamin and an Iron supplement and I try to get in 80g of Protein a day (thank God for cottage cheese). Everyone tries something different, but so far this is working for me, so I'm sticking with it. Good luck.

Tbahm, I feel better knowing that I'm not the one that feels like that. You can buy Keranique online and it was featured on the Dr. Oz show, it is proven by the FDA to regrow and thicken hair in women.

I'm from Canada and I buy Viviscal from the Shopping Channel. I also use hair Wonder, which is a natural hair dye. I NEED to dye my hair at least every 3 months because I have a lot of gray hair coming in so I researched and came up with this one. So far I've used it twice, with no additional Hair loss. It doesn't cover as well as the regular kind, but that's fine. I think you could crush Viviscal, or cut it in half. I had the sleeve done and was swallowing pills right away. I only had to cut my multivitamin in half, but those are really big. Hope this helps.

Prepare fo the worst and hope for the best. I cannot identify what I did any differently from the rest, but I did not lose a lot a hair. There were a few strays around the house, but that was it. Was it the 80 grams of Protein, or the red meat, or 20,000 mg of Biotin????? Who can say?

Just know that hair grows back. I bought several of those turban head covers like cancer patients do, and decided that if it got too bad, I would wear a wig for a while. I worried myself sick about it for nothing. If your hair starts falling out in clumps, you can confidently assume that the people who truly love you will still love you. I wish you good luck and good health.

Just be prepared in case it does come out. You can use shampoos and Vitamins but nothing will keep it from falling out. I'm taking Biotin and using Biotin Shampoo and honestly can't tell a difference.

I lost about half of my hair. No bald spots though but it's pretty thin now. I just got it cut above my shoulders last weekend since there's no point in having such long thin hair-- it looked bad lol. I'm about 5.5 months out and just noticing that it isn't falling out as much in the shower.

For me it's a small price to pay to getting healthy.

Edited by sleevie.wonder

Thanks ladies, I appreciate the input. I'm so afraid that I'm finally going to be happy with the weight I lose but unhappy that I will have hardly any hair. I know I sound vain but I think about it so much I'm worring myself.

I have fine curly hair. I've not noticed any unusual loss. I'm 3.5 months out so far. I do eat a lot of red meat. But I don't know if it's that or just luck. I do not take any special hair/nail pills nor have I changed my hair routine. If anything I am harder on it since I swim in a chlorinated pool 2x per week.