Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled for VSG on Sept. 3rd. And I am curious if I will ever be able to drink carbonated beverages ever again. Thank you!

My doctor said to try it when I was ready, and about two weeks I took a drink of soda. I burped immediately and the taste just was not the same.

I have at 8 weeks taken a few sips of a soda that was left overnight and was flat. No burp but it just didn't taste good. I've converted to teas and lemonade and flavored Water with what I call squeezies.

You will try it I'm sure but I found it very unappetizing. I quit a month before surgery so it wasn't so bad.

My doctor says he does not want me drinking carbonated drinks due to the fact that the carbon/fizz will expand your stomach. He prefers me to drink Water or flavored sugar free waters. I suppose maybe after your stomach has healed and u are able to take in more than it should be OK to try it..but I plan on eliminating sodas and other carbonated drinks all together..but good luck to you

Im 18 months post op and I have recently discovered how I can drink beer. I found that if I pour it and create the biggest head I can. that gets rid of enough of the carbonation that I can drink it.

My protocol says absolutely no carbonation! It will expand stomach an stretch. I hate flat soda. .but I have stopped sodas 8 yrs ago..I was interested in the fizzy waters or sparkling waters..they are carbonated so I'm not even starting! I don't want to jeopardize my new tummy!

I drink coke zero but waited 6 mths before trying it - no problems at all and for whatever reason only drink it on the weekends. Water and coffee only during the week.... Kind of my treat on the weekend :)

By the way my surgeon is totally fine with me drinking it..

Edited by Unhappysleever

I am scheduled for VSG on Sept. 3rd. And I am curious if I will ever be able to drink carbonated beverages ever again. Thank you!

Yes you will. But honestly it wont be the same. I am 11 months out and I get a craving for a coke every once in a while. I drink a little bit and I'm done. I always throw half of the 20 ounce away.

With that said, I can drink beer with no problem. I also waited till I was about 6 months out to try anything carbonated.

Edited by endless80

I am 8 months out, i took a sip of beer over the weekend - and no dice - i will wait a long time before i try it again... i didnt like how it felt in my tummy,

In my pre-surgery program carbonation, gum and drinking through straws were all forever dont's. My surgeon told me he has found that of his patients that start putting weight back on they have one thing in common. A particular gateway "drug" in common. Soda...so I plan to stay away.

No soda for me either, I'm ok with it though :)

My doc said no carbonation forever, as well. Hubby had VSG about 4 years ago. He thinks carbonation has expanded his stomach. He told me if I follow any rule I need to follow the no carbonation rule.

We stopped sodas 9 yrs ago..I miss the burn but after finding out wat caused that burn I never picked up another! Carbonation is a no no for me also an I don't care. It does stretch the tummy...that's definitely a rule I'll follow from here on out...:)