Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

band slip and removal at 24 weeks pregnant!

Hi All-

I had lapband surgery in 2009 in Phoenix with Dr Terry Simpson. I did not meet any of the requirements for insurance and ended up as a self pay and one of the 'smallest' patients Dr Simpson had ever operated on. Unfortunately, I now believe that label (from his assistant) was said to shame me. Now that I look back, I realize that my decision to have surgery was completely for vanity, as I was ashamed to have gained 25lbs after college and wanted a 'solution' ASAP.

Fast forward to now, where I am happily married, pregnant and suffering miserably from the lap-band! I did not feel comfortable going back to Dr Simpson with my issues...his office turned into a 'cattle call' with too many patients and little to no time for questions. You virtually lined up to be seen. I was also offended on two occasions, once by a fellow patient who snickered at me and said 'why the hell are you here?' and a staff member that told me that my minimal weight loss (from 200 to 185) was probably because my body was comfortable there...huh? The last straw was my attempt to go in two weeks ago for the pain, reflux, rapid weight loss....and they said sorry, he's on a family vacation...you were self pay years ago so you should find someone else to help with your 'issues'.

After a week and a half of an inability to swallow food or Water, I was desperate and was referred to Dr Jason Reynoso at Scottsdale Health Care. Wow! Talk about a caring, compassionate guy that knew I was in trouble and wanted to help me ASAP. Losing 25lbs when you are 5 months pregnant is not normal and he started the process immediately. An Upper GI indicated a slipped band and little to no liquid or food able to pass through. I was scheduled for surgery and had it done yesterday. There was a lot of scar tissue that had to be removed and it appears the band wasn't originally installed correctly as the buckle essentially disintegrated. Obviously being pregnant and having surgery is the last thing you would ever think about but I knew it was becoming a matter of life and death for myself and my unborn child. I am sore but home and can eat like a human again!

I decided to write this to encourage anyone pregnant with a band and suffering to reach out to your Dr as soon as possible. I have cried many tears...mad at myself for ever putting myself and my child in this position and 'waiting it out' over the past couple of years when I was obviously having issues. Best of luck to you moms to be!