Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting cold feet about my surgery on Tuesday!

Will you let us know what you decide?

Yes I will definitely keep you updated.

Hey, I think if you do it, it will be the best decision you could ever give yourself. Don't focus so much on the negatives, focus on the positives and take the negatives as they come, otherwise your wasting time, energy and positive brain space. All that you are feeling is completely normal for all of us who are pre op. The biggest regret I have come across so far is that people wish they had done it sooner. You've come this far just do it!! If you need someone to talk to I'm here :) I'm a panic anxiety pro so I kno all about how u feel!! Don't back out and keep thinking of why you wanted to do this anyways. It's far more dangerous being overweight. You will so fine!

I have been all over the internet researching both success stories and regrets, have read about countless simple surgery experiences and just as many complications! I want this so much but I am still really scared. When I think about the seamless surgeries and post op recovery that people have had, I feel gung-ho but when I think that I COULD be one of the 10% who have complications, then I get worried.

Woah woah woah...complications are less than 1% not 10% Let's not scare people needlessly. If it were 10% no one would want to do it! Now that's not to say there isn't the chance of discomfort or difficulties...but there's a big difference between a complication and some struggle.

That said, it is going to be a lifestyle change. If you are going to be successful you will need to weigh and measure and plan your meals. It won't be easy.

It's totally normal to feel nervous (I'm pre-op and yes I am nervous!) but I am more nervous about ever increasing diabetic medications, high blood pressure, increased risk of stroke, cancer and heart problems. I trust my surgeon and I have faith that I am making the right decision to save my life.

Edited by BurberryPlaid

Hi everyone! We'll today's the day! I'm at the surgery center right now waiting to go back. I'm doing it!!! I'm terrified but I'm also eager to start a life I've always dreamed of. Cross your fingers for me and thanks for all the support and helpful information along the way!

Congrats! I wish you a successful surgery and also the smooth & pleasant journey!!

Congrats and let u know how your doing.

Speedy recovery!

First night home from my surgery yesterday. My surgery went well but I had a Hernia repair as well. I was able to get one 17oz bottle of Water down yesterday while at the surgical center but have drank much more today. I've been having warm tea and chicken broth as well as water and a sugar free Popsicle. I had some pretty fierce gas pain earlier today up in my left shoulder but I kept walking on my treadmill and using a heating pad and it's gone now, thank God! I have some wicked acid reflux and pain under my sternum but was told it's just because of the hernia repair and my swollen tissues and that it should go away. For now I'm just trying to keep sipping and getting liquids in and not worrying at all about Protein and calories or anything like that yet. My doctors and nurses said not to worry about anything but staying hydrated for now. I feel a lot of bloating in my abdomen and have been "working" it out slowly which is making me feel better. I was crying on the operating table and nearly told them to stop when they were putting me under! But I glad I fell asleep fast because so far, I'm so glad I did it!

My surgery in for 9/4 and I am getting "cold feet." I am so worried about the pain afterwards and if I can deal with it, Once the procedure is done I will have to deal with it.....any encouraging words will be helpful. I also am having a hiatal hernia repair. Worried.

Kedwards 1950, I share the same concerns. I am having my surgery in Mexico and from what I've read on here, the surgeon I'm using doesn't use any strong pain meds. I'm the biggest sissy ever. Also, it's looking as if I will be making the journey alone. I'm scared to death at this point. Originally my husband was going to go but now he's not going. I'm not going to back out as I've wanted this for such a long time.....

I have been all over the internet researching both success stories and regrets, have read about countless simple surgery experiences and just as many complications! I want this so much but I am still really scared. When I think about the seamless surgeries and post op recovery that people have had, I feel gung-ho but when I think that I COULD be one of the 10% who have complications, then I get worried. I have scheduled only one week off work and when I hear about people going back to the ER several times or being hospitalized, it scares me.

Also, it seems like those who've had the surgery are thinking, planning, and strategizing constantly over eating and drinking. That's how I have been for as long as I can remember! I was hoping that surgery would help to QUIET the voice in my head that agonizes over food. Is this constant fretting over liquid intake and Protein consumption just in the beginning or will I have to count and weigh and measure and stress about it forever? Will it ever feel normal and natural.

I was one of the 10%. I was in the hospital 8 days 5 longer than I was suppose to be. I got an infection somehow somewhere still don't know what from. I had a temp, white blood count was high, Fluid in my longs had trouble taking deep breathes which is what they want you to constantly try to do. Went in for a second surgery to look for a leak and didn't have one. They put in drains and got on antibiotics and I started to get better. It was rough the first 3 weeks of recovery. My body went through something traumatic. Low calories trouble drinking, diarrhea, extreme weakness. I did not ever end up back in the ER. I took it day by day and realized that first week or so liquid is the most important thing. My dr even told me that he didn't care about the Protein or the Vitamins he cared about hydration first which was very true. I was faint a few times. But I focused on the fluids over food. Then eventually around week 4 it got a lot better and I was back to work week 4. I have never tracked anything. I refuse to live that way. I do however consciously make the right choices knowing in my head what is high carb versus more protein. I limit my carbs just by making good choices. Now that I can have a salad or a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts and be full and satisfied, making the choices are much easier now. Before I would never be satisfied on just that. Now I am so I actually want it. It's amazing. After eating the same things or getting in a routine you know what u should and shouldn't have or how much so I mentally keep the numbers in check. I refuse right now to write it down. And so far just making the right choices is working. I am 4 months out today and I have consistently lost every week with the exception of a stall for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. But that's ok. I'm down 42 since may 8th and 57 all together since I started my journey. Good luck to you. Even with my complication I have no regrets. It's a risk but a risk I was willing and ready to take to feel better. The recovery is only temporary everyday gets a ill easy and u feel a little better. Then one day you wake up and feel 100% back to normal except u eat a lot less now. And somehow you have energy again. It's a blessing and a freedom I can't describe until you go through it yourself.