Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning of Abdominalplasty/Breast surgery

Sorry to all for not replying in such a long time. I just got home about 2 hours ago. Last thursday (sept 6th) I was feeling very out of sorts after returning home from having one of the drain tubes removed. A lot of pain on the left side of my vagina. Thought I had just over done myself from all the walking I did that day from being in Reno and thougth I could take some pain pills and sleep it off. Cut to 4 am. Friday morning I was in so much pain I couldn't breathe in all the way. I tried to get up to go pee and I could not put any pressure on my left leg. NONE. I woke my husband up and told him. We called my doctor and got his answering service. by the time 8 a.m rolled around I had 100 degree fever. Doc's wife told me to get to emergency room NOW. Husband called 911 and when I got to E.r. I was treated very badly and like I was lying by Doctor Robert Platt. He wouldn't even hardly look at what I was talking about. He told me I had elevated white blood cells and fever and that was a sign of infection but he didn't think it was too much to get worried about and after 5 hours I heard him telling the nurse to discharge me. I demanded that my husband get me to another hosptal and doc rolled eyes at me and said "if you want us to fly you I will" I said DO IT ASSHOLE!!! When I arrived at the hospital in reno, I had 104 fever and red streaks going up my left thigh.( but oh noooooo doc platt, nothing is wrong with me.) I also couldn't urinate. Phsycially could not. They put a cathider in me and it filled a bag immediately. over the next few days my cultures shown I had a staff infection. I was immediately put in isolation and shot up with antibiotics every few hours ( i think, I lost track of times and days). I was in and out. Anyways, I have the kind that can be cured with major antibiotics and got to come home tonight. I am very bloated, not sure why but Ihave gained so much weight just since Friday. I am now 181 pounds. I"m hoping Water weight because my thighs, face, neck stomach, everything look so drastically different. I will update more tomorrow. I'm going to sleep now. did not forget about you all. Never. this board has been my lifeline.

goodnight.

I am so sorry to hear about your problems. Please take it easy and get plenty of rest. Those staph infections from the hospital are the worst. Take all your meds as prescribed even if you feel better. Hope you feel better soon. Have you let the plastic surgeon know about these issues?

omg I am sooo glad you are okay. I have been looking at this thread a lot to see how your progress was doing and just last night I was thinking....man, she sure is enjoying her time off.....damn girl, chin up, the weight will come off, it is just swelling. That is soooooo bad the way you were treated. Unbelievable!!!! What is this world coming to??

Staph infections are sadly becoming common. They are not always caused by a surgeon or a hospital, Staph lives on many surfaces and once it gets in your system, it can wreak havoc. I am REALLY glad to hear you DO have one that can be cured with most common antibiotics. Though the other one (MRSA) can still be treated, it is just a lot tougher. Goodonya for insisting to go to another institution. I would absolutely make an appointment to speak with someone in Risk Management at the hospital where you went to the original ER.

You hit the nail on the head with the Water weight. When someone is septic (has a blood infection) and that sepsis becomes more overwhelming, they gain LOADS of Fluid. I have to go get the cat from the vet right now, but when I get back I'll write about why that is, but suffice it to say, you will pee it all out once your vessels are not as leaky from the bacteria (and you are on antibiotics) and your kidneys start kicking into gear.

Foodstampchamp I have been following your progress for awhile because we have the same body type. Seeing how good you look now is great inspiration for me. I know that is my future. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that this happened to you. I hope you are feeling better soon.

I am so sorry to hear about your problems. Please take it easy and get plenty of rest. Those staph infections from the hospital are the worst. Take all your meds as prescribed even if you feel better. Hope you feel better soon. Have you let the plastic surgeon know about these issues?

My plastic surgeon was in my hospital room every day and called me every morning and every night. He even offered to get my husband a hotel room.

Damn er doc. Some docs just make me sooooooo mad. ggggrrrrr.....So glad you are recuperating enough and could come home! Please heal up and thank God you got out of there when you did!

Sam

Staph infections are sadly becoming common. They are not always caused by a surgeon or a hospital, Staph lives on many surfaces and once it gets in your system, it can wreak havoc. I am REALLY glad to hear you DO have one that can be cured with most common antibiotics. Though the other one (MRSA) can still be treated, it is just a lot tougher. Goodonya for insisting to go to another institution. I would absolutely make an appointment to speak with someone in Risk Management at the hospital where you went to the original ER.

You hit the nail on the head with the Water weight. When someone is septic (has a blood infection) and that sepsis becomes more overwhelming, they gain LOADS of Fluid. I have to go get the cat from the vet right now, but when I get back I'll write about why that is, but suffice it to say, you will pee it all out once your vessels are not as leaky from the bacteria (and you are on antibiotics) and your kidneys start kicking into gear.

To be honest with you all. I don't think I got my staph infection from my surgery/doctor/hospital and here is why.

About 16 monthso ago, my twin brother went to Texas to rescue his 3 year old girl and 5 year old boy from their mother who he suspected was doing drugs and neglecting the kids. On his way driving them to Nevada, he saw on them what he thought were cigarette burns. As soon as he pulled into town he took them to the hospital immediately and they were diagnosed with staph infection that had never been treated. It seemed to have gone away with the girl but a couple months ago the son was still getting sores in his private areas. They could never get rid of it. they decided to check the whole family instead of the kids and apparently my brother was carrying the staph in his nose!!! But he never got any sores so he never gave it a second thought with himself. Anyways, I forgot all about that. about 36 hours before I started feeling bad, my twin showed up at my house to cheer me up with some movie watching. I scooted over to my husbands side of hte bed and my brother rudely( as always) plopped down next to me and we watched six hours worth of movies. he left, i rolled back over to let my husband in and we went to sleep. I think that is how I caught it. Don't know for sure, guess we will never know.

My plastic surgeon was in my hospital room every day and called me every morning and every night. He even offered to get my husband a hotel room.

What a wonderful plastic surgeon. Wish all docs were like him!

Seriously, as soon as you are feeling better, I would encourage you to report the conduct of the ER doc to the risk management dept at that hospital. Thanks goodnes you were seen elsewhere and it was caught in time. I hope you continue to heal and feel better and better everyday!

So about why you are puffy:

In simple easy to understand terms, when someone has a blood infection like a Staph infection it causes the blood vessels to become "leaky" like little tubes of swiss cheese. The body, in an overwhelming infected state, wants the white bloods cells to come and eat up the infection, but it's everywhere. So the Fluid part of your blood seeps out of your blood vessels and into your tissues. We call it third spacing. Silly term, I know. Basically you are intravascularly (in your blood vessels) depleted or dry. You are dehydrated in your blood system, but you look like the Pillsbury dough boy. It is because you are extravascularly (out of your blood vessels) wet. The antibiotics help fight that infection and the little holes in your vessels that let the Fluid out of your blood system over time get sealed back up. Usually with a bad infection your kidneys may be a little sluggish to get that fluid back into your blood system and get it peed off. Don't worry, it takes a little while, but it will happen.

food Stamp Champ I am so glad you are going to be ok. You absolutely should report that ER Doc! I am glad to hear you got the right treatment in Reno and your Plastic surgeon sounds like a really good guy. I sure hope you are back to good health soon!

Girl......I cant believe your gone through so much!!!! I work in the medical field and just the fact that the ER doctor had no sympathy for you and didnt treat you like a human makes me so mad!!!! You need to report him to the AMA (American Medical Association). If you dont know how to do that let me know and I will send you some info. Dont let that doctor get away.......think about the what ifs!! You know your body and you knew he was full of SHI*!!!! Get rest and please keep us informed of your recovery!!!

Sandra

255h/242s/193c/165g

FSC, I wanted to check in and see if you are still okay. You haven't posted for a while. Tell us girl how sexy are you looking???

I am doing well and steadily getting better. My plastic surgeon said the staph infection set me back about a weeks worth of recovery but he is very happy with how I'm doing now. My hubby just took some pics of me a few minutes ago and I will post them here pretty quick. I have been taking it easy and laying around in my bed and watching a LOT of daytime television. (Don't ya just love Dr. Phil??) On the 19th of September I will be 3 weeks post op. I feel pretty darn good to be honest with ya. I cannot stand up straight all the way yet but I think that is how it is supposed to be right now. Thank you all for your kind words and information. Answered tons of questions I had about my bloatedness and sudden weight gain. I lost all the weight as quickly as I gained it. I am back down to 169 lbs again. So happy. Cannot wait to get the ok from my doc to start exercising again. I cannot wait to start toning up now. I have had a phone interview as far as that original E.R. doc is concerned. The hospital and most of all my plastic surgeon are keeping me abreast of the situation and said it is most certainly not over yet. I will keep ya posted.:clap2: