Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone REGRET the sleeve?

That's just the thing @@elpasovet, one way or another our behavior has to change. You don't have a choice after surgery and as you read through the threads, people describe the consequences of eating too much, eating too fast, eating and drinking together (vomiting, nausea, pain, heartburn); as well as what happens when you don't drink enough (dehydration), not enough Protein (muscle wasting, saggy skin, hair loss).

Some people are extremely lucky it seems and have no difficulties at all after surgery, while others struggle more like the two commentors on this thread; there's really no telling. One thing for sure is that it is life altering and people decide to do this when all other options have been exhausted - and there are way more success stories than difficult stories.

For me, like others I'm sure, know that I need the help. I know that I could be successful with this surgery because I have done it without it. Losing weight isn't my problem; maintaining is, which is why this would really benefit me. With that being said, without addressing the emotional turmoil that has driven me to this point of obesity, I can't reconcile with myself the logic of having the majority of my stomach removed. I may get there, but not just yet.

@@moonlitestarbrite, I agree. Did you seek counseling, and if so, why did you feel it wasn't enough to get you to change your behavior instead of proceeding with surgery (assuming you've been sleeved)? I guess that's really what I'm wondering.....

i needed the metabolic reset the surgery gives. i wasnt able to get enough insight into what was happening with me until i was actually able to stop eating. without the surgery i hadnt been able to lose enough weight for it to make any difference to me. despite clean eating, counting calories, and exercising regularly, i actually gained weight due to hormonal issues and medication. after 3 years i was so discouraged. and due to serious medical problems, i needed to lose weight NOW.

i had my surgery 13 months ago and dont regret it at all. (well except when i am crying in frustration from constipation) i weigh now what i weighed 25 years ago.

That's just the thing @@elpasovet, one way or another our behavior has to change. You don't have a choice after surgery and as you read through the threads, people describe the consequences of eating too much, eating too fast, eating and drinking together (vomiting, nausea, pain, heartburn); as well as what happens when you don't drink enough (dehydration), not enough Protein (muscle wasting, saggy skin, hair loss). Some people are extremely lucky it seems and have no difficulties at all after surgery, while others struggle more like the two commentors on this thread; there's really no telling. One thing for sure is that it is life altering and people decide to do this when all other options have been exhausted - and there are way more success stories than difficult stories. For me, like others I'm sure, know that I need the help. I know that I could be successful with this surgery because I have done it without it. Losing weight isn't my problem; maintaining is, which is why this would really benefit me. With that being said, without addressing the emotional turmoil that has driven me to this point of obesity, I can't reconcile with myself the logic of having the majority of my stomach removed. I may get there, but not just yet.

Oh I thought you already had the sleeve done.....

i needed the metabolic reset the surgery gives. i wasnt able to get enough insight into what was happening with me until i was actually able to stop eating. without the surgery i hadnt been able to lose enough weight for it to make any difference to me. despite clean eating, counting calories, and exercising regularly, i actually gained weight due to hormonal issues and medication. after 3 years i was so discouraged. and due to serious medical problems, i needed to lose weight NOW. i had my surgery 13 months ago and dont regret it at all. (well except when i am crying in frustration from constipation) i weigh now what i weighed 25 years ago.

Just curious (sorry if I'm prying) but how often are you constipated?

No, I'm the same person that responded on your Military Veterans thread.

@@moonlitestarbrite, thank you for your response; that makes perfect sense and I don't think I've heard anyone quite explain it that way (not being able to gain insight until you stopped eating). Poignant.

not anymore now that i learned to manage it. but a few times over the last year it got bad enough i needed to use drastic measures to get things moving.

its something i needed to learn to prevent, since i never had this issue in the past.

No, I'm the same person that responded on your Military Veterans thread. @@moonlitestarbrite, thank you for your response; that makes perfect sense and I don't think I've heard anyone quite explain it that way (not being able to gain insight until you stopped eating). Poignant.

i started using a body bug (metabolic tracker) several years ago... this gave me my first glimpse into the fact that my "emotional eating" was wayyyyy more complicated than i ever grasped. but i was not ever able to really get a handle on it. esp since i felt like i was just scratching the surface. i would say if my life was different, i could have handled it. but the truth is, if my life was different, i probably wouldnt have gotten fat to begin with.....

Just curious (sorry if I'm prying) but how often are you constipated?

I also have minor Constipation but remember not nearly the normal amount of Fiber until you can eat FULL solids. W very little fruits/vegies etc.. so fluids and walking help.

i started using a body bug (metabolic tracker) several years ago... this gave me my first glimpse into the fact that my "emotional eating" was wayyyyy more complicated than i ever grasped. but i was not ever able to really get a handle on it. esp since i felt like i was just scratching the surface. i would say if my life was different, i could have handled it. but the truth is, if my life was different, i probably wouldnt have gotten fat to begin with.....

What is a metabolic tracker exactly? If you don't mind me asking, how was your emotional eating more complicated..

What is a metabolic tracker exactly? If you don't mind me asking, how was your emotional eating more complicated..

most people use a fitbit. i used body media. there is jawbone, and nike makes one too. it measures the total output of calories per day.

by complicated i mean i didnt really understand what emotional eating meant FOR ME. i didnt really grasp how i was medicating ALL my uncomfortable feelings. i was not a typical yo yo dieting overweight person. i was active, did yoga, enjoyed exercise, ate a very clean diet... things really changed for me physically after my son was born, my gall bladder was removed, i turned 40, but the reason for my overeating was primarily emotional. and it wasnt simple enough for me to just stop when i realized that. it was way harder and required much more drastic change in my life than just deciding i wasnt going to do it anymore.

my father died when he was 56 from a heart attack, his father died at 56 from a stroke. i wasnt willing to play the what if game any longer. i have no regrets.

most people use a fitbit. i used body media. there is jawbone, and nike makes one too. it measures the total output of calories per day.

by complicated i mean i didnt really understand what emotional eating meant FOR ME. i didnt really grasp how i was medicating ALL my uncomfortable feelings. i was not a typical yo yo dieting overweight person. i was active, did yoga, enjoyed exercise, ate a very clean diet... things really changed for me physically after my son was born, my gall bladder was removed, i turned 40, but the reason for my overeating was primarily emotional. and it wasnt simple enough for me to just stop when i realized that. it was way harder and required much more drastic change in my life than just deciding i wasnt going to do it anymore.

my father died when he was 56 from a heart attack, his father died at 56 from a stroke. i wasnt willing to play the what if game any longer. i have no regrets.

I was an emotional eater also. Didnt help hashis (thyroid autoimmune disease) insulin resistance. .thought I had a good marriage for 17 yrs...put up with it for almost 3 more he stepped out on me 3 times after the 3rd time I kicked his butt out. It was tearing me up emotionally an mentally so divorce came. I'm 15 yrs later took 2 yrs therapy got to bottom of my emotional eating suppressed trauma from teens developed PTSD an major depressive disorder major anxiety disorder. ..doing a lot better I'm finally at a good place now...this surgery is wat I needed for me. I want to learn more about the system u use for monitoring ur metabolism an calories. .I'm 40 pds down an loving it! Feeling free at last!! :)

Yes, I am 6 weeks out and regret it every day. Thinking I should have tried harder with Atkins since that's what life basically is now. I don't like the stalls, it almost kills me to go 12 days without losing a single pound all while trying to drink 64 oz. of Fluid a day that I just about never get in. I'm lucky if I can get 350 calories in a day.

I don't enjoy eating anything it's a chore to do so. I eat by a timer, hell, I live by a timer these days. I have to take a cooler with me when I even run errands because there is something goofy going on that throws my entire body off whack. I'm always tired.

While I have lost 36.5 pounds since surgery, and am grateful for that, I have yet to have a single happy day. My stomach hurts with just about every meal I eat. I can slowly sip on bouillon and as long as it's only 4 oz. I can do okay. I can eat about 1 tablespoon of food at a sitting without severe chest through my back pain. About 30 of the 36.5 pounds came off in a week. Then there were 12 days with nothing ... not one pound lost. After that I've been losing maybe 1/4 or 1/2 of a pound a day when I have a loss. I think I might have made the wrong decision ... maybe I should have had RNY instead. My brother and friends all went that route, but I didn't want my insides all rerouted.

Think long and hard before you make this decision. It's not reversible and it's forever.

Hi, it will get better! Keep on doing what you are doing! ;))

HELL NO! Best gift I've ever given myself, to be free from being controlled by my appetite!

I do not regret having surgery. I will say I was on the fence through the entire 6 month program. I'd lost weight before. But that was before I turned the corner to diabetes. I didn't want to be on dialysis or lose a foot. I'm in my 30's. That is a long time to manage diabetes - which I was terrible at managing. I needed the surgical assist. I will say that I have had no complications or issues though. I can pretty much eat whatever I want without pain or getting sick.

I have some regrets. I was not always overweight, my weight gain happened within the past 8-10 years. I went to an information seminar, really just wanting to find out more about my options. At the end, they asked for our insurance cards. Next thing I knew, the clinic called and said I had been approved by my insurance, was scheduled for tests, and had a surgery date. 3 weeks later, I was in surgery. Besides my weight, I didn't have any health problems, no comorbidities, etc. I wish I had taken more time to make the decision, and spend time on a doctor supervised diet, like so many others on here have done. Of course, without the surgery I might never have put the time and energy in to diet and exercise that I do now. I'll just never know. I think this is a decision that should not be entered into lightly, everyone should do plenty of research and spend a lot of time on these boards before taking this step. I didn't do that and have too many "what ifs" and "maybe I should haves" to put behind me. I bowed to the pressure to move quickly when I should have put the brakes on and given it more consideration.