Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to hear from others with a lower BMI pre-op

I'm so glad to read this thread.

I'm 5'6" - 35 yro (female) - my starting weight is around 200 lbs (give or take depending on the day) - I am having my sleeve in 2 days, Monday, August 18th, 2014. My doctor thinks 135 is a reasonable goal for me. He, and my therapist, both are advocates and speak at conferences that the sleeve is not just for the morbidly obese, but that people with lower BMI's, like mine at 31, can expect to have the best results and effects of this surgery. i've struggled for 5 years since having my first child and was always 135-140 my whole life, but could never get under 170 since my first daughter was born. I was happy to just be at 150 lbs as my goal, but my doctor said 130 - 135 lbs is what he would expect from me. I couldn't help but just cry in his office when he said this. The idea that this would be possible again just seems like a whole other time in a previous life I once had. To get back to this point seems almost impossible to even dream of.

Please feel free to connect with me! I don't expect this to be easy, but am looking forward to the extra help the sleeve will give as I make this final journey to my life-long new self and get back to the person formally known as... the real me. :- )

I'm so glad to read this thread.

I'm 5'6" - 35 yro (female) - my starting weight is around 200 lbs (give or take depending on the day) - I am having my sleeve in 2 days, Monday, August 18th, 2014. My doctor thinks 135 is a reasonable goal for me. He, and my therapist, both are advocates and speak at conferences that the sleeve is not just for the morbidly obese, but that people with lower BMI's, like mine at 31, can expect to have the best results and effects of this surgery. i've struggled for 5 years since having my first child and was always 135-140 my whole life, but could never get under 170 since my first daughter was born. I was happy to just be at 150 lbs as my goal, but my doctor said 130 - 135 lbs is what he would expect from me. I couldn't help but just cry in his office when he said this. The idea that this would be possible again just seems like a whole other time in a previous life I once had. To get back to this point seems almost impossible to even dream of.

Please feel free to connect with me! I don't expect this to be easy, but am looking forward to the extra help the sleeve will give as I make this final journey to my life-long new self and get back to the person formally known as... the real me. :- )

Hi luciana Victoria, I am so excited for you, I wish my surgery was tomorrow, it is booked in fi the 8 th of September. My surgeon feels the same as yours, just because I'm not morbidly obese, it still effects me on a daily basis. Please keep me updated with your progress.

Hi. I'm 5'6 and was 172 the day of survey 6/27/2014.

Almost at the end of my 2nd month and I'm 151 lbs. I won't lie......I'm super frustrated. The majority of the weight fell off the first month, and now it simply won't budge....and it makes me want to scream. I had much better results with the Lapband until it slipped and they removed it May 2011.

I know weigh loss is slower with lower BMIs but this is ridiculous. I can't eat barely anything, my energy is zapped, my brain feels mushy ( not a good thing when I'm trying to finish my RN program) and still my scale doesn't move.

Yes, I drink my Water and get most of my Protein in most days. I also walk 2-3 times a day at least 2 miles. I don't have the energy to do anything more strenuous than that, unfortunately.

Sigh...don't mean to be a downer...just a little depressed about this process.

Please don't respond with, "you're down 20lbs! So great!"......I know that's good and much more than I could have done on my own. I know. :0)

I just feel like the weight won't budge and I spent almost $5,000 and took out my half my stomach for nothing.

--------depressed----------

Please don't despair when I say you want the weight to come off slowly, but really you do. It allows your body to adjust to shrinking-- especially your skin. I am a year out and I honestly don't remember how I got here. It wasn't by any means fast, but I stopped obsessing about the scale and concentrated on how to feel good through the process. I'm as skinny as I was in college and I feel blessed.

I'm almost 5'1" and weighed 184 at my heaviest, bmi just under 35. At 10 months post op and down 55 lbs and have passed my surgeon's goal as well as my personal goal. Weight loss seems slower if you only look at pounds lost, but percentage of excess weight loss is not. I couldn't be happier with my decision. It has truly changed my life for the better. I have body issues because of my bat wings and midriff roll, but it's a small price to pay. It seems the whole process is easier for those with lower bmi's.

Edited by lilijo

Palomarules,

Thanks for responding. Really.:0)

I'm trying not to get wrapped up in the numbers, I truly am....just need to try harder, I guess.

Congratulations on meeting your goal. It's a great feeling and accomplishment!

@@Paloma68 I'm probably not going to have surgery until December. Just scheduled my first nutritionist appt and endoscopy. I'm 196 at 5'2". Any chance I can call on you for advice as you go?

Hi all. My BMI was marginal too, at about 32. My surgeon only agreed to do it when he re-measured my height and I wasn't quite the 5' 5" I've always claimed to be!

Both he and the dietician seem confident that I can lose at least 60% of my excess weight.

My op is on 28th August, so pre op diet starts tomorrow (although I've had started today). I can't decide it I'm excited or terrified. I've failed so many times, this feels like my last chance.

Female, age 47. 5'6"

Consult BMI 37

Pre op BMI 35.5 (I was made to lose at least 10 pounds, I lost 13)

Original goal 135

Re-adjusted to 145 at 6 month check in

Goal reached month 9

Total loss 90+ pounds. BMI 23.3. I may hit that original 135 pounds as I navigate early maintenance.

Palomarules,<br> Thanks for responding. Really.:0)<br> I'm trying not to get wrapped up in the numbers, I truly am....just need to try harder, I guess. <br> Congratulations on meeting your goal. It's a great feeling and accomplishment!

You will get there! It is impossible not to!

Hi all. My BMI was marginal too, at about 32. My surgeon only agreed to do it when he re-measured my height and I wasn't quite the 5' 5" I've always claimed to be!<br><br> Both he and the dietician seem confident that I can lose at least 60% of my excess weight. <br><br> My op is on 28th August, so pre op diet starts tomorrow (although I've had started today). I can't decide it I'm excited or terrified. I've failed so many times, this feels like my last chance.

We have roughly the same stats and being both excited and terrified are the right emotions. Just know that your life is going to change for the better-- you will essentially give birth to a new you!

Hi there. 190 weight & highest weight June 10th before one week liquid preOp diet

10 weeks out (6/17 surgery date) and down 34 pounds.

My goal is in the 130's. Anywhere in there.

I hope this helps anyone. I'm so glad I've done this but the work is very hard every single day but I committed to myself to do this for me.

I started with a BMI of 35.8 and just reached a normal BMI at a little over five months post-op. I started at 215 and am now 148. I thought it would be slower but am very pleased with my results! If I never lost another pound I would still be happy with where I am now. I do not get much exercise in but am planning on stepping it up in that department.

@@Paloma68 I'm probably not going to have surgery until December. Just scheduled my first nutritionist appt and endoscopy. I'm 196 at 5'2". Any chance I can call on you for advice as you go?

Sure!