Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to hear from others with a lower BMI pre-op

Hi guys, this is my first post and I am looking for advice and any information from anyone who can help. I have a BMI of 31 and am booked for sleeve surgery on the 8th of September. I am wondering what sort of weight loss I can expect, will it be slower because I have less weight to lose?

I am really nervous about my surgery date but exicited at the same time, I suppose everyone is. I look forward to hearing you all. X

Hi I'm having surgery in 6 days. I'm a low bmi as well. I was told not to lose anything. No pre op diet or liquid diet until after surgery. We'll see how it goes.

Edited by jdillon

Hi jdillon, good luck with your surgery, have you been told what weight loss rate to expect after your surgery?

Everyone is different but guessing if I exercise it will be a lot more than if I don't. Most people hit stalls at 3 months because they don't work out so I'm going to really try to be diligent on the working out as well as the diet. I've been told I can get back in the pool one week post op. I love to swim. My friend from work is probably about 50lbs more than me. She had surgery in February and is now at 70lbs down, so an average of 10lbs per month. But she does not work out at all.

Yeah I'm really looking at this as a second chance, I love cycling and can't wait to get back into it. Please keep in touch, I would love to know your progress.

Yeah I'm really looking at this as a second chance, I love cycling and can't wait to get back into it. Please keep in touch, I would love to know your progress.

I will. :)

My stats are below. I didn't/don't exercise, and I'm 60 years old.

Best wishes!

I am 5'6", 39, started at 208 on june 9th I had surgery. I have lost 22 lbs. The first 20 were lost in the first month.

It's hard.

My starting BMI was 33.4. I've lost 7 pounds in one week. Sleeved on 8/6/14.

Was wondering about weight loss rate because I'll be ecstatic to be at 142 (my college weight). That's only 36 pounds more.

So glad I don't have so much more to lose than others - and maybe a little guilty, but been over 180 for 18 years. That's enough.

Good luck.

I'm 51. Starting weight was 230, surg wt was 221 on 8/6/2013. Was down to 148 by March. I walk, work out more occasionally than consistently. BMI from 38-39 to 23 in 6-7 mos. Love my sleeve!

I'm 51. Starting weight was 230, surg wt was 221 on 8/6/2013. Was down to 148 by March. I walk, work out more occasionally than consistently. BMI from 38-39 to 23 in 6-7 mos. Love my sleeve!

Hi sleeve girl - I'm right where you were! Hope I have the same results. Post B4 and After pics!

I also started with at a lower weight, 208lbs in May 2013. I live in Europe and the doctor never suggested Protein Drinks or diets and I'm down to 124lbs. I know that my luck will come back to bite me in the ass, but for now I love my results. It has to be said, I don't eat much and make sure I get Vitamin supplements because I'm maybe too thin. I know that my weight will creep up in a couple of years so, I remain cautiously optimistic.

I also started with at a lower weight, 208lbs in May 2013. I live in Europe and the doctor never suggested Protein drinks or diets and I'm down to 124lbs. I know that my luck will come back to bite me in the ass, but for now I love my results. It has to be said, I don't eat much and make sure I get Vitamin supplements because I'm maybe too thin. I know that my weight will creep up in a couple of years so, I remain cautiously optimistic.

So what did you eat ? That's awesome results wtg!

I have a piece of toast with butter and jam, along with a coffee. I love salads and eat a lot of veggies. Can't eat meat or much fish. Can't eat acidic or gas producing foods or much dairy, but I do like yoghurt as a snack. So my diet is really veggie based with moderate dairy and very little carbs. I hate feeling full or forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry. Most days I struggle to get a thousand calories. I am not wanting to lose anymore, so I do try to get eat to maintain my weight.

I was also marginal on BMI (34-35 or so). Surgery on 7/25/2014. I've been very happy with the results so far - even though it's only 3 weeks. I've added a chart showing the weight loss (from a Withings internet scale). Haven't been hungry at all, been a bit careless on the diet (tut!), but no pain or nausea..I think it's been a good choice. We'll see how it goes when I have to start travelling again...so good to hear about other people's journeys here.

post-227560-0-57857800-1408114188_thumb.png