Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op, need advice/help...

Hello, I had surgery one week ago today. I am thrilled that I am down just about 12lbs. I am thrilled that I am moving on to pureed foods. I am happy that I am changing for the better. I am new to this forum. I am unable with the Gastric sleeve forum, it is too cluttered!

Can I share some frustrations/concerns?

I have become lactose-intolerant after the surgery and am dealing with the awful side-effects of that.

I am moody bc I feel hungry (mentally) and miss my 'bad' foods.

I am not walking as much as I should be ( haven't joined the gym yet and it is HOT out) but I am still walking at least once a day.

recipes for pureed stage?

Please share ideas, similar issues, words of encouragement, or anything please! Unless you went through this, people just don't understand. I have been surrounded by nothing but LOVE & SUPPORT so I am lucky and grateful.

Thanks

Give yourself a bit of time before you decide if you are lactose intolerant. I thought I was too and then realized my symptoms (cramping, mostly) were just the symptoms one feels with alot of foods immediately post-surgery.

I bought vanilla-flavored whey isolate powder and mixed it with fruit (mostly strawberries, canned peaches, etc.). You can also buy your favorite Soup and puree that. I bought hummus and discovered that was pretty good at this stage. I liked adding yogurt, ricotta and/or milk to my shakes, but you should go slow, obviously, until you can confirm that you are truly lactose intolerant. If you are, you can ask you doctor or nutritionist for advice about drops, additives or alternative milk-like products.

Take heart, I am nearly two months post-op and am really enjoying the journey!

This is gross to say bit you are going to have diarrhea a lot. I read one member comment that said "never trust a fart". You might be able to tolerate milk again later. All of your nutrition is coming from liquids right now. They are going to run right through you. I looked at it like a cleansing process. My wife made home-made Soups and stews and added extra broth to them and didn't let them reduce down very much so I could drink the liquid. It tasted very good. I am 5 months post-op and can eat just about everything that I wish. I tried ice cream the other day and was on the toilet for the rest of the night so no more ice cream for me. I ate Jello and popsicles and otter pops and Ice tea and Kool-aid with splenda for sweetener when I was at your stage. Don't worry about the gym yet. You need to heal. Just relax and don't worry about the scale either. Walk as much as you can and rest as much as you can. Always sip Water. Good luck to you. Keep posting.

Good advice so far, thank you. the doctor told me I was lactose-intolerant. I always thought I might be because of the horrible IBS I had before surgery.

You are correct jimmyjames, the diarrhea is awful!!! I didn't want to say it being a newbie but it makes me scared to leave the house; Including my walking in the neighborhood. I am glad that I am not the only who is/has gone through this. Eventually I am glad it will stop (hoping & praying). You are also cct that doctor said the lactose-intolerance may reverse itself down the line. I am using the Lactaid milk for all of my Protein shakes.

Jimmyjames-about what time did the diarrhea stop for you?

Out of curiosity, what are you eating a week post op that even has lactose?

milk for my Protein shakes

greek yougurt (not too bad bc of the Probiotics naturally in it)

Why do you ask Jamielogical?

milk for my Protein shakes

greek yougurt (not too bad bc of the Probiotics naturally in it)

Why do you ask Jamielogical?

I was just curious because my nutritionist doesn't want me using milk for my Protein Shakes. She has me using unsweetened almond milk. I have my surgery scheduled for the 1st and I was immediately thinking "I hope this doesn't happen to me!" as soon as I read your post and then I realized that a week out from surgery, I probably wouldn't even be eating anything with lactose, so I wouldn't know yet if it had happened to me. I am allowed drinkable yogurt a few days post op though, so maybe that will tip me off.

When I started eating mainly solid foods the dumping syndrome stopped. I still get the dumping syndrome. It just depends on the food. If it is sweet and loaded with bad carbs, then I pay for it with extended visits to the bathroom. But it is my choice if I wish to eat something bad. I don't feel deprived of anything. If it is mainly Protein like, steak, potatoes with real butter and real sour cream and asparagus, "my favorite meal", then I usually have a normal bowel movement everyday. You will probably have to learn this on your own. What works with your system and what doesn't. If you are spending a lot of time on the toilet, I would say to keep your doctor informed and just follow your meal and beverage plan until you are released to eat solid foods. After that you will have plenty of time to see what works for you. I have noticed that if I eat a real good protein like steak or salmon, it takes a long time for me to feel hungry again. You will begin to recognize the full feeling as a tightness in your chest. When I feel that, I stop eating immediately. That is how I get the full feeling, and some other members have posted a similar experience. You have to remember also that the amount of food that I am talking about will fit in a half cup. So that is just a few bites of steak, a few bites of baked potato and maybe 2 large asparagus spears. It takes a bit for your brain to realize, that's enough. Take care and keep posting.

Hi, I can understand how you feel. It can be frustrating. The head hunger is very hard. It does get better though. I was sleeved June 30 - 5 weeks ago and it gets better every single week! Just remember as you go through each stage its like learning all over again, you master one stage and then you have to relearn a new stage so be patient with your sleeve. ;)

This is gross to say bit you are going to have diarrhea a lot. I read one member comment that said "never trust a fart". You might be able to tolerate milk again later. All of your nutrition is coming from liquids right now. They are going to run right through you. I looked at it like a cleansing process. My wife made home-made Soups and stews and added extra broth to them and didn't let them reduce down very much so I could drink the liquid. It tasted very good. I am 5 months post-op and can eat just about everything that I wish. I tried ice cream the other day and was on the toilet for the rest of the night so no more ice cream for me. I ate Jello and popsicles and otter pops and Ice tea and Kool-aid with splenda for sweetener when I was at your stage. Don't worry about the gym yet. You need to heal. Just relax and don't worry about the scale either. Walk as much as you can and rest as much as you can. Always sip Water. Good luck to you. Keep posting.

I've had a similar experience. Wondered if I am now lactose intolerant. I also broke out in bad hives all over - had them for 3 weeks as soon as I started my Protein shakes. I stopped the shakes and just thought today I'd try again and WHAM - cramps and on the toilet. Ugh. I can tolerate milk though and eggs so I'm unsure what's happening.

Good Advice! ;)

I couldn't stand the Protein Shakes. I thought they tasted horrible and I couldn't doctor them up to hide that taste. I just drank a lot of beef stew broth and chicken Soup broth. I never felt sick or really tired so I guess I was getting enough Protein and Iron.< /p>