Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel like my surgery "expired" at 1 year

I am totally in the same situation! I have felt like I really failed at this because after the year mark I stopped losing. I lost 80 lbs but have now gained back almost five lbs in the past month or so. I'm 17 months out now. I also feel hungry a lot. The carbs have snuck back in too. We had some financial changes so I'm not able to grocery shop like I did at first. Buying the meats and veggies that I "should" be eating is getting too expensive so I've had to fill in with cheaper meals to get everyone fed. I realize I'm Gonna have to work around that too My niece has bought me a few cases of Protein shakes so I'm going to try just drinking those and eating one meal. I'm only in a size 18-16(on some) so I feel like I've wasted the money for the surgery if I can't get losing again to get closer to my goal. I need to lose between 50-65 more I have been guilty of not tracking my food again. Going to get back at that too. Anyway I haven't been on here in a while either cuz I felt like I had given up. Gonna change that too.

sounds like you know what to do. I think it important to understand that losing 80 pounds is in no way failing. Really, if you stayed there the rest of your life, Im sure the Doctor would say you are a winner. First off, this surgery is mainly about health, (I like the "looks" side effect too of course) but IM sure your health is much better. I stayed at 16 for quite a while before getting down to a 12, which is not that small, but is just so right for me. My not so secret secret is TRACK. I track my movement too.... when I don't, I slowly or not so slowly gain. I do eat carb and straight out sugar Snacks sometimes, but I write it all down. The good the bad and the ugly. I keep going back to the wagon and try to eat clean over and over and figure that is ok. Its much better than giving up... which will land me back at 259 pounds plus. You can do it too. Eat a nice Protein meal, then clean out the house of crap... or at least lock it up where you can't get to it. After eating clean for a few days it will get easier.... until the next time... then do it again. I am weak. I need to build it into my plan. When I get realistic, then I succeed.

Hey everybody I m also at the same thing I feel like mines expired a year I was at my lowest 188 and now im 225 this is crazy I recently got on depo and wondering if thats costing me to wat alot im so scared and really need help guidance and support to get this weight back and atleast hit my goal weight which was 160 does anyone has any advice to help me get this weight I m gaining anout 2 2 3 plds a week this isnt normal I think something is wrong any advice for any of you guys. Hope all is doing well and things will get better for all of us

You have the courage to sign up for a pilates class. I was always afraid of getting down on the floor and not being able to get back up smile.gif

When your old clothes fit you like MC Hammer's balloon paints.

I really hope things get better with u and your success I inderstand how I feel and wish u the best

Hey everybody I m also at the same thing I feel like mines expired a year I was at my lowest 188 and now im 225 this is crazy I recently got on depo and wondering if thats costing me to wat alot im so scared and really need help guidance and support to get this weight back and atleast hit my goal weight which was 160 does anyone has any advice to help me get this weight I m gaining anout 2 2 3 plds a week this isnt normal I think something is wrong any advice for any of you guys. Hope all is doing well and things will get better for all of us

sorry you are having a hard time, NOW is the time to turn things around though... it doesn't get easier the more you gain, but the sleeve will still work, you just have to work it. I have said it over and over, log everything..... including Water and exercise.... maintain awareness. The Depo may be a big part of the problem. Ask your DR about that. Try the 5:2 if you haven't already. Find out about the details in the Vets forum, its pinned towards the top. Best of luck. I gained 22 and finally got it off. You can do it too, but start now!

Thank you so much for your advice imma look into the 5:2 challenge and see how dat goes. I see my primary tomorrow n gyn monday I will look into dat cuz im so scared its coming on so easy.. thanks again

I too have the same feeling that you do at this time. My surgery was May 2013 and this month is the first month that I tracked a weight gain. I seem to bounce between 150 and 155. Today I am 152.

I have tried the tips already mentioned (tracking food and Water, cutting out the "junk" and getting Protein first.) I find that I can get 50-60 gm of Protein a day. I manage to take in about 72 oz of Water.< /p>

I have decided that 150-155 is an ok weight for now. I am wearing a size 8 (which is a size I have never worn as an adult) I am staying positive that the last 25 lbs will come off with time if I stay on track. If I stay this weight for a while, my body must need the break from weight loss. I am hoping that my skin will tighten up while I am working off the last few pounds. I do not look at this as a failed surgery because I am 115 lbs lighter than when I had the surgery.

I could have written this post exactly. Surgery 5/13, I've been the same weight since late March. I bounce between 151 and 155, usually hovering at 152.5. I'm a 6/8 and happy. I would like to get to 141 but if this is where my body is, so be it. It's easy for me to maintain, the few times I've hit 158, I lost to 152 in days, and I eat what I want within reason so it's an easy place.

I'm thrilled.

I'm nearing my 1 year mark. My original goal was to lose 100 pounds, (from 235-135) but I adjusted up by 10 pounds when I hit a size 4 pant\jeans. I've maintained, (a couple under, actually) for 6 weeks now but based on what I'm hearing from vets, I'm thinking I may go ahead and try to shave of the last few "vanity pounds", (I like that term) as I expect I may struggle a bit down the road. Wiggle room is GOOD. Don't think I'll change my goal weight either as that's really just the top of the range I wanted to be in. I appreciate the perspective of those a year or more out!

I could have written so many of these posts especially the OP. I am 18 months out and haven't lost weight in the last 6 months. There really is no mystery as to why. Its the junk food. I have slowly reverted back to my old ways of a spoon or 2 or more of Peanut Butter or nutella (which I call my kryptonite). As much as my kids beg for this stuff I know I simply cannot have it in the house. If it wasn't for the fact that I exercise very regularly I am sure I would have gained a lot more. I agree with many posters that its really just a matter of keeping on keeping on and getting back up on that band wagon. But it sure is a lot easier to climb up on that wagon 70 pounds lighter!

I don't think it expires. We just have to recommit and perhaps even make sacrifices to get further. As I approached one year I was down 100 lbs but still over 210. I am 5-10 so that is not such a terrible weight. I was a size 14.my doctor considered me a success story already. But I wanted that Onederland. So I signed up for personal training at the gym. For 6 months! It was very expensive. I started spinning classes. Though I felt so nervous about that as everyone in there seemed so in shape. Now I do strength training 2x week and spin class 2-3. I also lost another 30+ pounds in the past 9 months. Now that took only 6 weeks right after surgery but it's not the time it takes it's the outcome. You just have to stick with it and be patient. I also avoid sugar carbs most of the time. They trigger cravings and get stored as fat.

I have to recommit myself a Every Single Day! And this just to maintain my loss. I don't really need to lose anymore at a 25.6 BMI. Recently I gained 8 pounds in 2 days after a party weekend. After the party I did jot feel guilty. I just got on program and 2 weeks later am down the 8 pounds. Does it suck that we gain fast and lose slow. Yes it does but we can lose. There is no deadline or time limit. It's not a race. Switch things up a bit. Avoid sugar and don't graze, monitor every bite. Use MFP honestly!

You can do this!

Eventually, no matter how we get there, it all boils down to not ignoring the facts of life.

I have many long-term normal-sized friends who have always lived this way.

In contrast, my lifestyle has pretty much been one where I had reasons / targets / deadlines for getting slimmer. Staying slim was always a little too boring to pay much attention to. Besides, I could always lose that 20 pounds again, right? Because I was so good at losing 20 pounds. Then 30. Then 40. Then even (gasp!) 50.

But eventually, my dieting / weight losses / weight gains / aging / arthritis / mental gymnastics were CAUSING the problem, not solving the problem.

I am coming to peace (intellectually -- although I'm not that far in my journey yet) with the idea that WLS is really about getting to the point where we have a fighting chance to learn how to maintain a healthy weight. We and others give us so much positive feedback for losing weight. But we don't get much positive feedback (or little biochemical rewards) for maintaining our weight loss.

This is a real big subject.

Expired! What a perfect description of my feelings as well. I am 15 months out from surgery and 90 pounds down. All good for sure but I have now bounced around the same five pounds for the past 4 months. No real loss, no real gain, but no real change. I still am hopeful that following the advice here (track my intake following Protein and calorie guidelines, exercise - my fitbit is my favorite encourager and motivator, drink plenty of low cal fluids, keep unnecessary carbs at bay, take my Miralax, weigh every day, take my measurements ~once a month). If I do all these things with good commitment, I feel like I may still have success with additional weight loss. I sure hope so as I want to (need to) lose another 70 pounds. It feels daunting and oh so distant.

If you are not already doing these things, then do, and best of luck to you Scooter!

I'm in the same position – I really want to try to "restart" weight loss. I'm just past year and in reality I've lost a good amount of weight but I want to lose a bit more to get it closer to my goal. I need to start doing better and I guess examine what I'm doing wrong.

I know it's hard to be proud of yourself when you haven't done what you wanted to be happy and proud of yourself of what you've accomplished because let's face it it's hard to do. I think in reality we are all very hard on ourselves and I don't know about everyone here but I know that with me can be counterproductive.

Good luck with your journey and I hope that you're able to attain the goals that you have set for yourself.

Hey Fellow Sleevers! Wow this topic is so on point. I'm almost two years out. I too, am hungry all the time (since about 4 months after surgery!). I'm up about 10 lbs from my lowest wt. The grazies have snuck back in, the weighing, measuring have left the building. I recommitted this week. Logging in MFP, trying to keep in the 800-900 cal per day range. It's so hard!! Still need to up my liquids. Seems all I want to do is eat saltines. LOL And let's not forget that d*mn Halloween candy! It's good to be back on the boards...keeps me focused. Would love to make it to 199.

SW 303 (Oct 25, 2012) sz 24

CW 222. Sz 14/16

F/52. 5'10"

All time high wt 390 (2001) ugh

Since I first posted this I have gained almost 10 pounds! Ugh! But I know that I have only myself to blame and I CAN and WILL turn this car around! I obviously got disoriented and started driving up the scale instead of down. Well not anymore! I'm in charge of this journey and I'm responsible for reaching my destination. Yes there have been road blocks and detours that have gotten in my way, but it's up to me to get back on the road and put the pedal to the medal! Anyone else going my way?