Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forks over Knives

So I have had gastric bypass and I seen this 'Forks over knives' documentary and wanted to try this new plant based lifestyle. I have researched and those who have done this had weight loss success and overall improvement in health. The lifestyle consist of a purely plant based diet that removes all animal based products. So no eggs, no animal milk (soy milk is used to replace it), no animal fats, and they even say no processed foods. My concern was how I would be able to get in my Protein, I know Beans are a wonder and I love black beans. Has anyone tried this lifestyle change? I would like to give it a week or two and see if I feel a difference.

Lots of places, try No meat Athlete, and a Google search for Protein and vegan or vegetarian will help you.

Go to http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/311018-protein-sources/ on this forum and I listed at least 20 different ones, not to mention powders and drinks.

Victoria

I just started reading Death by food Pyramid. I am not very far along, but it looks like it will be very educational. You might want to consider reading it before you go too extreme in any direction.

This is great! I have been plant based only for over 3 years and I did it based on the animal side, not the nutritional side. Myself, my husband, and both my boys (14 and 12) are plant based only as well. This is an incredible way to eat and we can eat anywhere and not have an issue (which is one of the many many comments I get when I tell people I am plant based - they will say, "don't you starve?" and I have to laugh because I weigh over 225 lbs, so no, I don't starve ha!). We have traveled to over 12 states over the past 3 years and we made an 18 day trip to Europe visiting 5 countries this last May and didn't have an issue at all.

Having said that, I will tell you it does take a little more planning at first and a lot of research. I had to keep the food similar for my boys at first to get them around the idea so we were definitely more "junk food" vegans (example: Oreos are vegan) for the first 2 or 3 months, but their palettes changed quickly and within a couple of months they were eating much more healthier and now, it is incredible. Our dinner last night was BBQ chicken (Beyond Meat), sweet potatoes, broccoli, green Beans, and watermelon. And the meat (Beyond Meat) is an incredible product made vegetables (not soy) as well :). There are substitutes for all Condiments as well as milk. We do organic rice milk and almond milk instead of Soy milk, but either is fine.

As for Vitamins, it is critical and I mean critical that you take a Vitamin B12 supplement daily or get 2000 micrograms a week and make sure you are getting Omega 3 & 6 with DHA (300 milligrams daily) through either a supplement or I get mine from flax seeds (which I put into my smoothies). BTW, milled flax seeds are the BEST egg substitute to use in recipes that call for eggs as well.

Now, having said all of that and me being a huge animal advocate, please know that I am 3 week PRE-surgery, so I know that I am going to have to make many more adjustments as I get closer (and I already have started) than most. Another words, when I read posts that people are doing "chicken noodle Soup (minus the noodles and chicken) post-op, I'm figuring out the best plant based alternative. When the doctor told me to eat Protein first, I am going to have to make adjustments and figure out what I can eat to fill me with the right amount of Protein without the volume (example: meat versus broccoli). So even though I am educated about plant based food, I am in the learning process of being a banded, plant based food person.

Anyway, I could go on and on here, but if you would like to talk with me one on one, please direct message me anytime.

Best of Luck!

I am 3 weeks post open and have been a vegetarian for over two years. I did try being a vegan (no animal products at all) and ethically I identify more with vegans, but I just found that for me, personally, I do better with dairy in my diet. I know post surgery vegans exist, but I imagine it came with some challenges. To get my Protein post surgery, I rely on Beans, soy based products including tofu and faux meats (gardein and Quorn brands being my fave) as well as eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, and milk. Once I am further long and have a better handle on eating, I will transition back to unsweetened original almond milk for use in cooking and in beverages. I am also going to try a tofu and spinach scramble instead of egg scramble. I had an organic frozen entree of this made by Annie brand and ioved it! Was expensive for my budget, though.

Try using textured vegetable protein TVP or gardein's meatless ground "beef" in beef recipes (chili, texmex) or Quorn faux chicken. I have added that chicken to Soup, .pasta, as the main focus, or under a lemon butter sauce and goat cheese with sundries tomatoes (aka chicken Bryan). I want to explore cooking tofu better, though. Seems to be better when others make it but I haven't given up, yet! (Ps, soft tofu can be used as a base for fruit smoothies or freeze mixture and eat as frozen treat. I really liked both!)

Give it more than a few weeks, but I can tell you I felt much healthier and enjoy the flavors of food even more!

Hi, l am pre-op and new to the board, but I too want to adopt the Forks Over Knives way of eating after my surgery! I ate this way about 7 yrs ago and the weight practically fell off, and I felt incredible! (Unfortunately my "sweet/fat" tooth got a foothold again and I gained the weight back).

There is a Bariatric surgeon who advocates this way of eating -- google Garth Davis Facebook and you'll find his Facebook page/blog. He hasn't addressed how to eat during the liquid/purée/soft food stages and I really wish he would; I'm actually thinking of calling his office to ask! Because I'd like to eat homemade fruit/veg smoothies during this phase rather than sweet Protein drinks, but I'm worried the fruit could cause dumping.

Mostly "Dr. Garth" says all the research shows that average women need at most 45 g of Protein, and there's no evidence that WLS need any more than that.

There is a terrific free tool called chronometer that could be used to figure the protein content of food. Wouldn't it be great if all of us ganged up together and shared the protein/carb/sugar/fat content of various vegan foods that we made?!

@@talkingmountain I asked the question about why we need extra Protein AFTER we heal from the surgery. Never got an answer. I sort of came to the conclusion Dr. Garth did.

Its not the first time I've asked a logic question and got silence.

That makes sense. Prior to WLS I ate between 40 -50 grms of Protein daily. I made it a point to hit those goals and I lost weight. Sadly due to other health issues I would get sick and then regain. I spent a good 2 -3 years losing and regaining the same 35 - 50 lbs. Once I reach maintenance I plan to aim for 50 -60 gms of Protein, but I'd love to discuss with with a medical professional versed in WLS surgery.

BTW - That B12 deficit is a myth. They need to go by bloodwork. I was put on B12 sublingual. Every bloodwork check had my levels not only over but double! The kept cutting back the dosage until I was instructed to take it once a month. When the bottle ran out I stopped taking it. My annual bloodwork was perfect! I have been eating enough of a balanced diet that I do not need to supplement B12.

Just discovered another plant-based Bariatric surgeon! Dr. Matthew Weiner in Michigan. He has a lot of great videos on YouTube.

MY STORY: ​

I was sleeved almost 5 years ago. I love it. But I my weight was climbing back up. I was up to 203 from 172. I was having nightmares about my weight coming back. I notice some people would look at my belly before making eye contact, like before. Well my wife came back from her check up in Feb and was told her cholesterol was 345. Her Cardiologist ( from India ) told her she was a heart beat away from a heart attack or stroke & needed to go on a vegetarian diet. Well our daughter told us to watch "FORKS over KNIVES" made in 2011. It saved her friends life. So we watched it on Netflix. We were stunned. First thing you think of is "why is this information not getting out to us?"

You are taught If you put good stuff in your body, the body will fix itself. The problem was we did not know what the good stuff was.

My wife got up & we cleaned everything bad out of our kitchen & went to the store. ( No gimmicks to buy.)

We went back to the Cardiologist 2 months later. He told my wife was in STAGE #2 of Heart disease. We told him we were following the Forks over Knives way of eating. He stated this, "THERE IS NOTHING I COULD DO BETTER THAN WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU WILL CURE YOURSELF." Then he wanted to take blood work to see the changes.

RESULTS: Wife Numbers WAS 345 New 171 Cholesterol, Her BAD cholesterol was 233 New 71, Lost 25 pounds.

Mine: 190 old New 134 weight was 203 now 175.

If your cholesterol is below 150 you are heart attack & stroke proof. The doctor took my wife off her meds!

Two friends are doing this after I gave them the movie to watch. The are losing weight & both were taken off there diabetic meds. IT CURED THERE DIABETIC PROBLEM. There blood work will be done this month.

This is a healthy lifestyle to eat. You eat all you want. No counting. No worrying about anything. Just eat the healthy stuff as much as you want.

​There is a second DVD on Netflix "PlantPure Nation". The doctors go to a town in NC and put volunteers on the Whole Plant Base food for 20 days. The results of blood work in 20 days will surprise you. The body fixes itself fast. This is information that should be taught in school.

So enjoy your journey towards health.

MY STORY: ​

I was sleeved almost 5 years ago. I love it. But I my weight was climbing back up. I was up to 203 from 172. I was having nightmares about my weight coming back. I notice some people would look at my belly before making eye contact, like before. Well my wife came back from her check up in Feb and was told her cholesterol was 345. Her Cardiologist ( from India ) told her she was a heart beat away from a heart attack or stroke & needed to go on a vegetarian diet. Well our daughter told us to watch "FORKS over KNIVES" made in 2011. It saved her friends life. So we watched it on Netflix. We were stunned. First thing you think of is "why is this information not getting out to us?"

You are taught If you put good stuff in your body, the body will fix itself. The problem was we did not know what the good stuff was.

My wife got up & we cleaned everything bad out of our kitchen & went to the store. ( No gimmicks to buy.)

We went back to the Cardiologist 2 months later. He told my wife was in STAGE #2 of Heart disease. We told him we were following the Forks over Knives way of eating. He stated this, "THERE IS NOTHING I COULD DO BETTER THAN WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU WILL CURE YOURSELF." Then he wanted to take blood work to see the changes.

RESULTS: Wife Numbers WAS 345 New 171 Cholesterol, Her BAD cholesterol was 233 New 71, Lost 25 pounds.

Mine: 190 old New 134 weight was 203 now 175.

If your cholesterol is below 150 you are heart attack & stroke proof. The doctor took my wife off her meds!

Two friends are doing this after I gave them the movie to watch. The are losing weight & both were taken off there diabetic meds. IT CURED THERE DIABETIC PROBLEM. There blood work will be done this month.

This is a healthy lifestyle to eat. You eat all you want. No counting. No worrying about anything. Just eat the healthy stuff as much as you want.

​There is a second DVD on Netflix "PlantPure Nation". The doctors go to a town in NC and put volunteers on the Whole Plant Base food for 20 days. The results of blood work in 20 days will surprise you. The body fixes itself fast. This is information that should be taught in school.

So enjoy your journey towards health.

I watched the Forks Over Knives movie yesterday.....and then watched the Engine2 movie....both on Netflix.

Very compelling stuff.

I'd like to learn more about it and how I can meet my Protein goals with this. I'm getting the Engine2 book and will read it. Once I'm done....I'm thinking that I may try the Engine2 28 day challenge. What have I got to lose, right ?

My concerns are will the diet be sleeve friendly and will I get enough Protein. I'm certain that I'll learn more in the time ahead. I'm intrigued by this. That is a big deal, too, by the way.....as I've been a tremendous fan of grilled meats for as long as I can remember. I'm not saying that I'll totally give up the meats.......but then again who knows. I think I may even go see my PCP and have bloodwork done prior to any diet change and then if I do the 28 day challenge and stay on it....I'll go back and have it checked again.

Nothing to lose, right ?

Science in action!

Measure. Treatment. Measure.

Repeat.

Dub that's a great plan. Google whole plant base doctor's in your area or vegetarian. I have two in my area. Since Doctors do not get any nutrician training in med school, most do not know about this. When you tell them you can fix something by diet, you will get a smirk sometimes. While you are at it look at other Doctors on YouTube. Look up milk & cheese. Those two were my biggest surprise. Good health to you.