Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there anyone out there who regrets getting the sleeve?

Had my band put in September 2008. I Lost some weight like 35 pounds, but I gained it all back. The band slipped and I had it removed Aug. 31, 2014. I am told I have to wait 3 months and loss 25 pounds before the next surgery. I hear so much good things about the sleeve that it kinda sound to good to be true. What are your regrets of the band.

Everything that you just listed. This is a common story with the band. It is a mechanical device that breaks. Some last a long time but it seems that most only last a few years. The sleeve is still a tool, but it is permanent. You can develop serious problems with the sleeve that are far worse than the band so I wouldn't say that it is too good to be true. If you use it properly, and your doctor is good at his craft then you should succeed with the sleeve. Good luck to you.

I have no regrets, despite the fact that none of this is easy. I'm glad I did it and sorry I waited till I'm 59 years old.

I was banded in 2009 and lost 50 pounds, 40 of which I've kept off. Though I still have restriction, I haven't been able to drop anymore weight. I regret not being more successful with the band. Having surgery to lose weight is an extreme measure, and when I chose it, I wasn't expecting to fail. On the other hand, I'm very grateful for my band because it's helped me maintain my weight for the past five years. Without it, I'm certain I'd be quite a bit heavier than I am today.

I got band in 2008 lost 121 lbs. then got pregnant in 2010 and since having my son in 2011 I have put on 90 lab between pregnancy and issues with my band. So on 6/18/14 I had revision surgery and at 8 weeks out no regrets. I'm down 30 lbs so far and feel so much better.

My band is out! Feeling much better! It was taken out on 8/7 in Mexico by Guillermo Alvarez. Best experience ever!!! He said i had a lot scar tissues which he removed and that I needed to wait at least 6 months for healing in order to get the sleeve. It's a great relief having it out. I don't regret getting it but I do regret waiting to get it removed so long. So much damage it caused . liquids for a few days then slowly move into soft and then regular food.

Now that I have the Lap band off my apatite has returned full force. I don't want to gain additional before I get the sleeve. I was watching Dr. Phil and there was a young lady who had taken Phentermine pills and lost 80 pounds. She started to gain due to not taking the pills. The Doctors stated she was using the the pills recklessly due to she was using them for more than 9 months where it is recommended to be used for only 3 months. http://www.phentermine.com/phentermine-user-pictures/user/52223/album/345/picture/6101 What do you guys think. I have three weeks before my sleeve surgery and I need to loss 25 pounds. I kind of have my mind made up but I want some feedback.

^^^ Not sure I understand. You have three weeks during which you are expected to lose 25 pounds?

How is it that you find yourself in this situation?

Now that I have the Lap band off my apatite has returned full force. I don't want to gain additional before I get the sleeve. I was watching Dr. Phil and there was a young lady who had taken Phentermine pills and lost 80 pounds. She started to gain due to not taking the pills. The Doctors stated she was using the the pills recklessly due to she was using them for more than 9 months where it is recommended to be used for only 3 months. http://www.phentermine.com/phentermine-user-pictures/user/52223/album/345/picture/6101 What do you guys think. I have three weeks before my sleeve surgery and I need to loss 25 pounds. I kind of have my mind made up but I want some feedback.

I used the a few years before my lapband surgery under the supervision of my dr. They worked but once I stopped weight came back on. It was a pill not a life style change so didn't keep it off. They are dangerous and you can become addicted to them so they say 3 months then take time off then you can use again. Do you have to do a liquid diet before surgery? Since you have 3 weeks I think be careful of what you eat and maybe you can drop it that way. Good luck

I had my band out and a revision to sleeve. I have only lost 8 pounds in 6 months. NOW the doctor is telling me because I had the band previously that I wouldn't lose much weight . It has been very discouraging. I wish the doctor had told me this 6 months ago and $12,200 later.

Lovely mama - for what reasons did your surgeon say you won't lose much weight? Is it because your sleeve is larger due to scarring from the band? Or is it because he thinks you're eating slider foods, a habit that started with the band? Or something else? I hope it's the slider foods reason since that's something you can work on.

Are you counting your calories? If so - are your calories too high to lose? And if so - are you eating more calories due to hunger - or perhaps due to making the wrong choices? I would hope that if you focus on Protein and veggies that should fill you up and allow you to keep your calories low to lose weight. And of course avoid drinking with meals and snacking.

I hope you can find a way to make the most of your sleeve and find success despite your surgeon's low expectations!

To answer the original poster's question - I have no regrets at this point for the sleeve.

The band wasn't working for me for years, was unfilled and I had gained back all that I'd lost.

I do wish in hindsight that I'd done the sleeve first, but based on the info available at the time the band looked like the best choice - safer than the sleeve and pretty effective. Since then the rate of complications have come to light.

For those who had a tight band for years and learned to avoid healthier options like chicken and veggies, some can have a hard time learning to be successful with the sleeve. People really have to choose the things that they learned to avoid with the band in order to keep full and satisfied with the sleeve. It hasn't been a problem for me because my band was unfilled for so long - I love that I can eat dense foods without any problem.

My surgeon told me that she used a larger bougie to make my sleeve - so it's slightly larger than a virgin sleeve, so that may be part of the reason why I haven't had any issues with any foods and can eat anything, and have never thrown up since being sleeved or felt a painful fullness or anything. I sometimes worry that in a year I'll be able to eat too much, but I will just focus on eating the right foods - including veggies - and that should allow me to have continued success.

I wish all of the band-to-sleevers success! It's harder the 2nd time around and I do think we need to work a little harder to be successful, but it's worth the rewards!

I had the band put in twice . 2012 and lost 100 pounds in 3 months cause it slipped and almost killed me then they put it back in in later in 2013 or late 2012 and I did not lose any weight but gained 20 pounds and it was slipping again . So I went to my new wls dr . Dr suh and he revised me to the sleeve in 2,months after may 30 2014 I lost 51 pounds . I happy fir the weight loss and I am still dropping . I to was told and read that I would lose weight slowly but it seems to be coming off fast I stick to his diet plan and like extend it to . Meaning I did broth liquid diet for a month instead of 2 weeks and now I am able to start on crab shrimp and turkey fish but I stay on the 600 cal soft foods for another month . I will know total how much I lose in oct 7 but here are before abd after

http://maps.google.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=33.557305,-117.159640&zoom=14&markers=33.557305,-117.159640&size=400x300&sensor=true

post-218935-0-76384400-1407627605_thumb.jpg

post-218935-0-75479300-1407627622_thumb.jpg

post-218935-0-04083200-1407627629_thumb.jpg

I loved Phentermine. I had great success with losing weight, no appetite, tremendous energy, loved it. The minute I went off it, I was ravenous and gained back all the weight plus some. This happened at least three times before I gave it up. Good stuff but not a permanent habit.

I had my band unfilled for a year before considering sleeve. I also gained all my weight back. I can so relate to eating slider foods. But with the sleeve it has Ben different. food actually goes in without getting "hung up" It def takes some reworking of the mind for the sleeve. I am three weeks out and have lost 18lbs. Dr also told me wieght loss is not as significant for a reversal. I had a sig amount of scar tissue as well.