Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my gastric sleeve surgery on July 30th early in the am. Through my preop classes and all for six months I have been told this stupid JP Drain would be removed seven days from my surgery date in the docs office if all looked good. I have had no complications with anything do far and the drain has not drained in 2 days. What I am angry about is that my doc office will not allow me to come in for an apptm until Friday which will have made 9 freaking days that iv'e had this thing in. Im ready to pull it out myself and not go back! I feel perfectly fine other than this drain hanging off me and it is now getting really sore around the stitches and it hurts to bend forward. The doc receptionist told me that my doc is busy and will not see patients who had surgery on the previous wednesday until the following friday. Im so uncomfortable and upset, feel like they are extremely dishonest now and have heard of no one being required to have this stupid drain in this long unless there was a problem of some kind. Im being told it is this docs standard practice to leave it in a minimum of 7 days for every patient. Thoughts?

Maybe check and see if your PCP or an urgent care facility would be willing to pull it for you?

<p>Maybe check and see if your PCP or an urgent care facility would be willing to pull it for you?</p>

I agree, go get that thing out of you!!

Call the doctor's office again or go to the office if he is there and asked to speak with your doctor directly or office coordinator. If you are in pain or stress maybe like it was said go to urgent care.

I had my surgery on July 18th. My doctor did not have office hours on the day of my one week post op. I had to wait until the monday pm, which was 10 days later. While it was annoying to have the drain that long, it was not painful and it had stopped draining around the 8th day. If it's painful you should call the office and let them know.

I had my sleeve done at the Cleveland Clinic in Florida on 6/17/14 and I didn't have a drain they told me they stopped doing it. If I was you I would go to the ER and get it out now

I would be really surprised if anyone will take the drain out except your surgeons office. I work for doctors and they will not touch anything another doctor put in but ER may call your doctor and get the ok for them to pull it. Liability. It stinks that he is too "busy" to pull it. The medical assistant or nurse will probably pull it anyway.

I had my sleeve last week. I heard a bunch of people talking about a Drain. I have no idea why there would be a drain. Can someone please explain to me what it is about??

A drain- a tube with a bulb or bag at end to capture excess Fluid from within your body.

Not everyone gets one

post-227609-0-57848700-1407390203_thumb.jpg

Had one of my clients who is an ICU nurse with a lot of experience in removing these come over and remove it. Its out, took seconds if that and I feel sooooo much better!!!!!! ???? gonna sleep good tonight with that stabbing pain gone

Oh also called Urgent cares and they refused to touch it. im sure my doc will be angry friday when i go to my apptm but i am so ready to give him a piece of my mind that he best not go there

I'm sorry you're dealing with this drain issue.

I would suggest you walk into the doctors office and tell them you're I'm severe pain and please have it removed. Tell them you will wait until doctor can see you. If he's not available inquire if nurse can remove it.

Mine was still leaking a bit while still I'm hospital but was removed Sunday right before I was released to go home. That hole where drain is located will be the thickest and longest to heal or at least it was for me.

Very true other doctors or urgent carr will not want to get involved with another doctors surgery/recovery for liability issues.

As a patient and because the doctor has instructed you to wait until he sees you? And if you remove yourself, you're are pretty much taking the a risk/liability your doctor is still held responsible for a healthy recovery under his care you're his responsibility legally wise. God forbid you get an infection or side effects for removing it yourself, your doctors can easily say, it was your fault and may not qualify to be coveted under his care for that particular situation.

Try to hang in there, just a few days away. It's always better to deal with pain than incur a serious infection due to discomfort.

Good luck and brst wishes on your new lifestyle journey.

i am kind of shocked that any RN/LPN that is NOT an employee of the surgeon's office/group would get involved with surgical after care. you have now essentially transferred ALL liability of your outcomes to both yourself and this nurse.