Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you most proud of since wls? Or what are you striving for? Most memorable moment?

When I lost the weight, one of my most memorable moments was going shopping and buying a size 2 pair of pants! I just about passed out right there. I couldn't believe I was able to get my rear into a pair, let alone the rest of my lower body. (Personal moment)

Professionally, I was promoted after my weight loss (Not that my weight caused a non-promotion, but it was a highlight during that time). Also professionally, I complete a tactical class that no other woman had completed before (for the agency I work for). This was a major accomplishment for me! This was also the same week I was promoted.

Personally - completed my first half marathon, did a swim around the florida keys, and completed a number of triathlons.

What is your biggest accomplishment? Proudest moment? Or what are you striving to do? Would love to know :)

In my youth and middle age I was a hiker, backpacker, trekker, climber. I want to return to some of those activities. For example, there are some treks around the world I have never done that I want to complete.

I've discovered that having BIG GOALS makes this whole journey much more interesting.

Thanks for this thread.

I'm enjoying the new confidence in how I look even though I'm only halfway to goal. Just losing 34 pounds has made me feel so much more "normal" and "competitive" with other women my age with regards to dating. At 210 I knew I had a lot to offer in a relationship but felt like my weight got in the way of someone even having the interest to get to know me.

I'm also loving the new energy I feel -- I'm exercising almost daily (6x a week) and some days I even go for a second round because it just feels so good! Doing the Zombies, Run 5K training and signed up for 2 races -- end of September and beginning of November. My goal is to run them (not walk) and I think I can do it! :)

Ginger

I want to be able to ride properly again. Having horses and needing to ride almost everyday (that I'm home) having an extra 70 pounds on my body has thrown my balance out beyond comprehension. I have trouble walking out to catch them as I'm out of breath and in pain trying to climb the small hills where they graze, and I really want to be able to wear all the cute clothes available to girls of smaller sizes. I hate wearing my stretchy pants with boots and spurs. I also want to be able to get up on my horses without the aid of a mounting block, my arms just can't boost my butt up any more. So much to look forward to, A life of not hiding from the world I once knew and loved!

My forum name is gowalking. I chose it because when I started this journey, I was looking at living the rest of my life in a wheelchair. I have joint degeneration and needed my hips replaced and no one would guarantee a good outcome unless I lost a significant amount of weight.

I lost 70 lbs. and scheduled the surgery. It was brutal and the recovery long and difficult but nearly a year later, I am able to walk unassisted and nearly normally. I have some residual issues but they are nothing compared to where I was just a short 18 months ago.

Almost two years ago, I was on a cruise and it was a small ship. I could barely navigate it and I never got off the ship at any of the ports since it was so hard for me to move. Two weeks ago, I was on a cruise on one of the biggest ships out there and was able to go anywhere I wanted both on and off the ship. I shopped for hours, went snorkeling and diving, I fit anywhere and everywhere. It is truly miraculous being able to say that I've gotten my life back.

Next spring, I'll check something off my bucket list...something I though I'd never be able to do. My sister and I are going to plan a trip to China. I think that when I get my first glimpse of the Forbidden City, I might just start bawling like a baby.

None of this would have been possible without the band and I am more grateful than I can ever express in just words. Nice topic...thanks for letting me post.

I want to be able to ride properly again. Having horses and needing to ride almost everyday (that I'm home) having an extra 70 pounds on my body has thrown my balance out beyond comprehension. I have trouble walking out to catch them as I'm out of breath and in pain trying to climb the small hills where they graze, and I really want to be able to wear all the cute clothes available to girls of smaller sizes. I hate wearing my stretchy pants with boots and spurs. I also want to be able to get up on my horses without the aid of a mounting block, my arms just can't boost my butt up any more. So much to look forward to, A life of not hiding from the world I once knew and loved!

Also, depending on what discipline you ride you are judged differently in the show ring. I have ridden h/j since I was 5 years old and was always thin and very muscular, I won a lot no matter which of the horses I was riding and I even showed other people's horses for them when they were trying to sell. I could ride anything in any discipline then when I was 14 I gained about 100 pounds from a medication and all of a sudden I wasn't winning anymore, I still had pretty good balance and for the most part was the same rider I had always been but was judged differently because of my weight. It sucks to say but that's just how the game is played. I can't wait until I can get back down under 200 and start riding and showing again! Also, in my world you are judged harshly on what brand of show attire you are wearing so if you don't fit into what's popular, you are judged negatively for that.

I also can't wait to wear cute clothes again! I'm a bit of a designer freak and will really enjoy spending money at places other than Torrid even though it's great for girls my size!!

Edited by Beckyyb93

What a great thread! I look forward to reading more responses.

I'm 8.5 months out...I'll give you some of the highlights:

I purchased a size 14 for the first time in about 17 years. I cried in the dressing room. I didn't look at the price tag and was a little shocked when I found that pair of shorts was $48. I didn't care! I will keep those shorts forever.

My son said, "I'm proud of you" after I jogged an entire mile with him. That was priceless. I cried then, too.

I climbed up a 300 foot butte and made it to the top without stopping (think about climbing stairs for 6.5 minutes straight - it was like that). It has been my goal for years and I finally did it. Yep, I cried.

So many tears have been shed during this process - some tears of frustration, anger, and disappointment, but most are tears of joy and happiness. I know I'll have more as I continue on this journey - more good moments than bad.

My proudest moment was the first time I ran on treadmill for 20 min straight without stopping. I was actually running for a pretty long period of time after not being able to run ...pretty much ever. I had had a dream weeks before my surgery of me running effortlessly and it really stuck with me. It was awesome to finally get close to that!!

PS I love this post idea!! More like this please! It's very motivational!

ETA: Some of my goals: 1. to become one of those crazy folks that goes to the gym 3x a week before work (my job starts at 7am, so this would be a biggie!) 2. to run a 5k with no stopping at all (I'm getting closer to this one!). 3. to be a size large and completely ditch the plus sizes forever (I'm stuck in XL 1X land). 4. to get to the green zone (it will happen someday!!)

Edited by PuraVida37

My forum name is gowalking. I chose it because when I started this journey, I was looking at living the rest of my life in a wheelchair. I have joint degeneration and needed my hips replaced and no one would guarantee a good outcome unless I lost a significant amount of weight. I lost 70 lbs. and scheduled the surgery. It was brutal and the recovery long and difficult but nearly a year later, I am able to walk unassisted and nearly normally. I have some residual issues but they are nothing compared to where I was just a short 18 months ago. Almost two years ago, I was on a cruise and it was a small ship. I could barely navigate it and I never got off the ship at any of the ports since it was so hard for me to move. Two weeks ago, I was on a cruise on one of the biggest ships out there and was able to go anywhere I wanted both on and off the ship. I shopped for hours, went snorkeling and diving, I fit anywhere and everywhere. It is truly miraculous being able to say that I've gotten my life back. Next spring, I'll check something off my bucket list...something I though I'd never be able to do. My sister and I are going to plan a trip to China. I think that when I get my first glimpse of the Forbidden City, I might just start bawling like a baby. None of this would have been possible without the band and I am more grateful than I can ever express in just words. Nice topic...thanks for letting me post.

Love love love what you have accomplished! Wow! I am in so much awe in what you have been through and where you are now...and of course where u will be going! Simply amazing!

What a great thread! I look forward to reading more responses. I'm 8.5 months out...I'll give you some of the highlights: I purchased a size 14 for the first time in about 17 years. I cried in the dressing room. I didn't look at the price tag and was a little shocked when I found that pair of shorts was $48. I didn't care! I will keep those shorts forever. My son said, "I'm proud of you" after I jogged an entire mile with him. That was priceless. I cried then, too. I climbed up a 300 foot butte and made it to the top without stopping (think about climbing stairs for 6.5 minutes straight - it was like that). It has been my goal for years and I finally did it. Yep, I cried. So many tears have been shed during this process - some tears of frustration, anger, and disappointment, but most are tears of joy and happiness. I know I'll have more as I continue on this journey - more good moments than bad.

I have done my share of tears too....I think for many of us we can relate to this....glad you are doing so well!

My proudest moment was the first time I ran on treadmill for 20 min straight without stopping. I was actually running for a pretty long period of time after not being able to run ...pretty much ever. I had had a dream weeks before my surgery of me running effortlessly and it really stuck with me. It was awesome to finally get close to that!! PS I love this post idea!! More like this please! It's very motivational!

Keep up the work! 20 min is awesome! And treadmill running is tough!

Look forward to hearing about you getting back on that horse! It will happen....and it will be great!

@Beckyyb93 I enjoy the idea of eventually fitting in designer duds too, I just don't want to lay out massive cash for them! Ebay has a lot of nice designer clothes at a fraction of their original cost. Have fun.

Edited by BeagleLover

@Beckyyb93 I enjoy the idea of eventually fitting in designer duds too, I just don't want to lay out massive cash for them! Ebay has a lot of nice designer clothes at a fraction of their original cost. Have fun.

Oh yes, never pay full price for fabulous!! I shop online a ton and in discount stores, it's amazing what you can find in some second hand stores for a fraction of the cost..a lot of times they still have tags on them! I also have apps on my phone that I purchase from regularly..I'm very thrifty! It will be a lot easier when I'm a normal size though because there will be a lot more to pick from :)

One thing I am proud of is making my daughters proud of me for changing my eating habits. I spent way too much time in front of the tv and checked out of daily life. I'm back and that makes me happy and proud.