Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inverted Gastric Sleeve

I am new to this forum and am in the very early stage of choosing a procedure and surgeon in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas area. My primary care doctor initally referred me to Dr. Joseph Kuhn, but he passed away just a couple of weeks ago. My doctor then referred me to Dr. Michael Green in Fort Worth...so I would welcome any experiences with Dr. Green. HOWEVER, I noticed that Dr. David Kim has new billboards up in the area advertising the "INVERTED Gastric Sleeve". I did some research and only see one other doctor seems to be doing this procedure -Dr. Milton Owens in Southern California. I also found that Dr. Kim JUST trademarked the term "inverted gastric sleeve".

According to Dr. Kim's website"

"The David Kim Inverted Gastric Sleeve is an enhanced version of banana. As mentioned previously, most surgeons will end the surgery at this point, depending solely on the staple line as the mechanism of support for the newly shaped stomach. Our KBI surgeons, however, push the staple line in and laparoscopically sew the stomach upon itself, thus creating an additional layer of strength.

There are a variety of benefits and advantages associated with the Kim Gastric Sleeve technique, including:

• Uses serosa (strongest layer of the stomach) to provide an additional support
  • Prevents sleeve from stretching if patient overeats slightly
  • Significantly reduces chance of staple line leaks (leak rates at KBI are significantly below the national average )"

Has anyone had this procedure?

Edited by Muttmommie

In clothing terms, it's called a french seam. It's not that uncommon but his naming it and claiming it might be. My surgeon (Jeffrey Landers) does that with all of his Group Health sleeve gastrectomies too. I was glad to hear it! BTW, no complications or problems at all, and I'm now 3 months out.

Yes, my surgeon did that as well.

sounds like a sleeve plication...

I had this done by Dr. Kim. I'm very happy with my results.

Never heard the actual name of it. Last year, my dr described what he was gunna do this exact way. Didn't know it helped prevent stretching. Thats good cuz thats my worst fear. Especially now that I'm a year out and can eat more.

Wow. It actually has a name?

Dr Kim did my surgery 2 1/2 years ago, not sure if he did what you stated, but I sure am happy with my results and Dr Kim was a great doctor!

My surgeon in Mexico does it this way....Always has. I actually specifically looked for a surgeon that oversews the staple line in this manner. I'm a vet tech and that's the way my veterinarian closes both GI and bladder incisions. Creates a strong incision that heals well and minimizes the possibility of leaks.

Edited by Kindle

Yes had my sleeve done in Januaury and have lost over 100 lbs pounds by Dr. Franchell Hamilton at A better weigh center she is up and coming in the DFW area and did the inversion of the staple line also. I went to Dr. Kim initially but there were so many people I just felt like a number or a cattle being herded through I from what I understand you never see him again after he does your surgery. I have seen Dr Hamilton every time for my post ops and she really inviualized my care. So the inverted sleeve is not new many surgeons do it he is just naming it.

I had this done by Dr. Holden(who is a partner out of his office and trained by him) last Thursday. So far it is working well for me ! Then again I'm on Clear Liquids but for the most part my inverted sleeve is tolerating my liquids.

On 8/16/2014 at 10:52 PM, skinnytiff said:

Dr Kim did my surgery 2 1/2 years ago, not sure if he did what you stated, but I sure am happy with my results and Dr Kim was a great doctor!

Is Dr. Kim still doing surgeries? I didn't see him name at DFW Bariatrics

<--- Dr Owen's patient and yes he was credited for development of the "Inverted Corner Gastric Sleeve" back in 2012. The "Inverted Corner Gastric Sleeve" technique was developed by Dr. Owens specifically to prevent leaks and minimize heartburn.

The technique is pretty common now.

On 8/5/2014 at 7:52 AM, evanslaura79 said:

I had this done by Dr. Kim. I'm very happy with my results.

Did you find DFW Bariatrics (Kim's Office) helpful? Biggest challenge I find is talking to someone personally. They keep sending One-Liner email so hard to try and get appointment or any information. Any suggestions as to how they treat patients and have their phone number where i can contact them directly to cut the email chase?

On 1/20/2018 at 9:54 AM, Neil P said:

Did you find DFW Bariatrics (Kim's Office) helpful? Biggest challenge I find is talking to someone personally. They keep sending One-Liner email so hard to try and get appointment or any information. Any suggestions as to how they treat patients and have their phone number where i can contact them directly to cut the email chase?

DFW was awful as far as communication went! I actually found a different surgeon because of their customer service. My surgeon, Dr. Hein Le, worked at DFWBI and works with Dr. Franchell Hamilton now, and both do the inversion. I recommend staying far away from DFWBI unless you like being treated like a number, not a person.