Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Fallen (newbies learn from my mistakes!)

I am two year post op and putting on weight. I need to get back on this site and refresh my memory. I wish I never stopped checking in on this support system daily.

Little by little, I fell back into poor eating habits. I never got on track with an exercise routine either. BIG MISTAKE.

I had my surgery in April and by early August I had lost 30+lbs. I wasn't impressed. Later in August I went on a 2 week trip to Europe that was strenuous walking. By the time mid-September rolled around I had lost another 40!!!! That exercise on vacation really kick started my weight loss! (did I learn from that? no)

Stress eating got the best of me and little by little I began eating more and more. More fats. Loads of sugar. ( I'm a sugar addict)

I pray to God I can shrink my tummy and get back on track. I have put back on half the weight.

Newbies.....stay the course. Do the work. I'd hate for you to fail as I have.

Welcome and thank you for sharing. I sure you will get back on track. I just had my sleeve and indeed l am newbie. However, I know that you taken a brave step forward. Keep reaching out.

fell back into old eating habits

@@jena530

sorry you've tripped, fallen alittle :wacko:

glad to see your pretty face and smile again :)

you are aware/want to get back on the program

i "think" theres some expression - "knowing the problem is 1/2 the battle"???

something like that :blink:

OMG you are NOT A FAILURE!!!!

you made the wise decision some time back to have WLS

you successfully lost lots of weight :)

you are smart enough to realize you need to come back and talk to all us wonderful people :)

(especially me :lol: :lol: )

do you want to start from the beginning with shakes and stuff??

many people seem to start over if they have tripped

this might/probably will give you a heads up/fresh start/jump with losing a few lbs

you know all the steps/rules to what you are supposed to do

i always say the Water issue/rules are on top of the list

drink 64 oz of water

don't drink for 15-30 minutes before you eat

never drink with your meals

don't eat for 45-60 minutes after you eat

i hope you have a NUT that you can see :blink:

if insurance doesn't cover, "maybe" you could splurge and talk to a nutritionalist once or twice

plus - listen to all your fellow lappers and sleevers (like me) :)

ask all your questions

you might need a refresher course - no prob

we're all here to help each other

we are a support group silly head ;)

All people who had WLS are similar despite procedure

we all want/need to lose weight - and keep it off for the rest of our healthier, happier, longer life :)

you have taken that first step getting back on the wagon :)

lets meet for drinks

i'm buying :o

water of course :lol:

good luck to you

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I couldn't find the source for the quote "Confession is good for the soul" so I 'll go with this one: Confession of errors is like a broom which sweeps away the dirt and leaves the surface brighter and clearer. I feel stronger for confession.

I am so glad you came back to visit us. There is strength in numbers. Welcome back.

Here is my version of the very simple rules I have to follow if I want to get to my goal weight and stay healthy:

• Consume 60-80 gm Protein per day and 60-80 oz of Clear liquids per day. Every day.
  • Do not drink anything for at least 30 minutes before a meal or snack. If you forget and do drink, re-set the timer and wait another 30 minutes before you eat.
  • Eat dense Protein first at every meal. If you have room, eat a very few bites of non-starchy veggie in addition.
  • Decide how many meals and/or protein Snacks you're going to have per day* (or how many calories) and stick to it. Every day.
  • Do not eat between meals.
  • Wait at least 30 minutes after every meal or snack before drinking anything. If your mouth gets really dry you could rinse after eating, brush your teeth or chew gum.
  • I avoid alcohol because I'm concerned it would decrease my ability to resist bad food choices.

Follow those rules at least 90% of the time, and you will succeed. For the other 10%, do not beat yourself up - just get back on the wagon immediately and Sleeve On!

* The two ways I know of to lose weight are 1) Low calorie; 2) Low carb. I chose low carb because I can eat more volume and I don't have to count calories - the Atkins diet. I eat every 4 hours (8a, 12n, 4p and 8p), and I keep my carb intake as low as humanly possible. Both factors contribute to my never being hungry for very long at a time.

Best wishes!

Thank you for posting this. I think it's great for those of us getting started to really understand that this is not a magic bullet and that if we don't do the work, the surgery will not work. I know for me that there was a little voice in the back of my head that said if my stomach was smaller, I would automatically lose weight, no matter what I did.

But the truth is, that is crazy, food addiction thinking. I am on a pre-op plan and have to lose like 15 pounds to be approved for surgery. I've tried to do exactly what I've been told, eat balanced meals, no snacking and exercise. I have lost half the weight I need to lose without counting a single calorie. That is very freeing for someone who has counted calories her whole life. It shows me that if I maintain these habits, I will be successful post op.

Everyone has given you all the tips and you probably already knew what you were supposed to do. Now, it's just a matter of putting what you know will make you successful into practice. Start small if you have to with slowly cutting out grazing and doing some walking 3 days a week. You'll see results from the small changes and it will prompt you to keep making changes. Best of luck and welcome back.

Thank you so very much everyone! I'm so touched by your thoughtfulness and support.

For the newbies: I had an immediate realization after my surgery. Post-op you are instantly faced with needing to realize there's two types of hungry. 1st is Head Hunger. 2nd is Actual Hunger.

I am a compulsive eater. I always feel the need to be chewing on something. Head hunger.

I pray you can 'tune into' the difference quickly. The more honest you can be with this, the more successful you'll be :-)

I think this is something we all think about. After the big loss and reaching our goal, how do we avoid falling back into our old routines. I hope I can stay strong and keep with the program forever, but I know I can never allow myself to lose my current mindset to accomplish that. Luckily I have my wife to help me out, which will be a major factor.

But only time will tell.

Oh my goodness I can completely relate to this!! At 2 years out, I've completely lost track! You are so not alone!

@@jena530 Thank you for sharing your story. I have started researching and joined this site today - and I'm feeling like a sponge absorbing everyone's posts and my mind is reeling with information.

All the best. I wish you a peaceful weight loss journey. :)

Thank you for taking time to tell your story. I am a "newbie" so I have no advice better than what has already been given. I just wanted to say thank you and you can definitely get back on track.

@@LadyPullings - me too my friend! I just started researching, but I know this is the path I want to take. All the best! ;)

I'm a year and a bit out, and I feel this way too. I feel like I can't stop eating and my restriction is way down. Bad food choices, sugar addiction.

I haven't regained anything but if I don't get on track, I know it'll happen. Thank you for reaching out!

Edited by MouseOnTheMile