Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Addict + Pre-Op Diet = Raging B**** :-(

Warning! This is definitely a rant and a whole lot of whining!!

Ugh, I am in rough shape emotionally this week! I'm on day three... yes, just three measly days... of the liquid diet and I feel like it's the end of the world. Even typing this, I see how ridiculous that is. People have much bigger problems in the world than this, but I'm miserable. I've been treating my husband like crap all weekend and I've been snapping at my absolutely adorable kids (3 & 5 years old). Right now, my brother in law has cancer and he and my sister are going through so much more of a hardship than I am, but I still can't seem to bring myself out of this. food is my only vice, and it's just GONE... cold turkey. Yes, I'm committed to the lifestyle post op, yes I'm committed to making healthier choices, but at least those involve food. My husband thinks I'm just anxious about having surgery, which may be a part of it, but mostly I am just pissy because I can't have food (and my surgeon's plan is zero food... Protein shakes/diet drinks only). I feel antsy, my stomach is in knots, I'm edgy. I'm just in a general BAD mood.

Did anyone else experience this? I've attended OA, and I know I'm an addict, so I feel like this must be what it's like for an alcoholic or a smoker to give up their drugs of choice. This is nuts, though. It's food! It's not drugs or alcohol or cigarettes... it's something as basic and every day as food. Still, I feel like I'm going to go crazy before my surgery on the 13th. I'm just in the worst mood I've ever been in!

Probably time to visit my therapist, lol! Thanks for taking the time to indulge my whining!

I have been snappy, loopy and weepy since I started my liquid diet. It is hard so I empathize with you. Can you have no chunk Soup? If so I found that helps to take the edge off. Maybe a support group or therapist could help.Some days are better than others. I also have read that sugar is as addicting as heroine.

Biggest difference with what you are dealing with, as opposed to the drug addict, alcoholic, or someone who smokes, is We need food to survive. Its this - the need for something so basic as food...that simply drives me up the wall to. I find my thoughts continually thinking about my next meal...when am I going to eat, what am I going to eat and even something so stupid as asking myself if I am really hungry. Food completely controls my thoughts and often times actions. I have the same frustrations, as I bet nearly everyone on this site does. What makes me feel worse at times, is the mere fact that I have never truly had to worry about meals. I have never had to go without food...in fact, my family (being Italian) tends to cook as though we are expecting 100 plus people to randomly stop over. Growing up, all family gatherings, visits with neighbors involved food.

In essence, everything you are feeling is Normal! You will make it, you will survive this journey. It may seem impossible, however, you have taken this situation and are being proactive with your health for not just you but for your family. Try to stay positive.....try to stay motivated....the best has yet to come!

Oh my lord, I was an absolute witch on a broom after three days on the pre-op diet. I was snarky and short tempered and short fused and I snapped at everybody and I am lucky my family was so understanding because they would have been well within their rights to make me go sleep in the car. It was AWFUL how bad I felt. After about the fourth or fifth day, I started to level out, and honestly that is the worst I felt the whole time, including when I woke up from surgery.

I've read a few different explanations for what causes it... emotional, chemical, detoxing, etc, etc. I don't know which ones were true, but I do know that what you're going through is normal and awful. And also, that it will go away, I promise.

Capegin, I feel for you, girl. I start my two-week pre-op diet tomorrow morning.

If you were in a Zen spa'ish pre-op retreat center now and could stay there with folks who wiped your brown with cucumber-scented cloths for the next two weeks, you might like to explore what these feelings you're having "mean." But that's not gonna happen, eh?

The good news is that I hear that Day Three is the worst and that by Day Four or Five, things get better. I've also heard people say that Week Two is a piece of cake, compared to Week One. I'm looking forward to Day Four and Week Two.

Last week I told my shrink (with whom I have an appointment this coming Wednesday) that he was the lucky duck who has a session with me on Day Three of my pre-op diet, but that if he was up for it, I would actually show up. He laughed and said it's tough, but so far as he knows nobody's died yet.

Yet.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

i had a hard time the first 3 days but day 4 i woke up and all the physical hunger was gone. it was WAY easier from there out. i did ok and now i'm 6 wks post op. i still consider myself a complete foodie, but space now is a huge issue so i'm eating very small amounts and it's great. hang in there!

I will not mince words. I was a flaming fing b-tch during the pre op diet. I was so awful. I hated everybody that could eat food.

I hated myself for hating them and then I hated them more! This whole thing is such a mountain to climb and we do survive my surgery was almost 9 months ago now and I am so happy that I went through that awful terrible hateful suckass preop diet . I really did think I was gonna die or give up. I have lost a total of 115 pounds now! i am just 2 pounds from the weight I was when i graduated from highschool!

Oh my gosh, thank you all! It is reassuring to know that this is hopefully the worst of it and it will get easier from here! My husband and I are both counting the hours to day five now, lol. My kids, I think, will also feel a little relieved!!! I know it will be worth the pay off!!!

I was a total witch for the first 3 or 4 days. I started a 4 week pre op diet and after 3 days I gave in and ate a normal meal. Nothing overboard and actually pretty healthy. I felt better. But realized its the addiction that drove me. I struggled just a little for those first 2 weeks. The 3rd week I did great....but 1/2 way through.....began my week and half PMS issue. Back to being a witch lol! Now I pray for my period to start (that's a first) because I want to get over the witchyness and I don't want to be on my period for surgery!! Its on the 11th. Way to much on my mind....could be part of the witchy problem too! I cant wait til the 11th to come and go!!!

I have been horrible to live with the last week or so also. This liquid diet is a nightmare. I feel bad for anyone who has to be around me. Surgery is Tuesday and I'm so glad I'm almost there. Can't wait. Just want it over and done so I can get back home and start a new healthier life

Yeah, I remember totally reaming my kid, then looking at him and saying, "Buddy, this is so hard, not eating food. I just need to you to listen to me, don't talk back and do what I say. This is so hard, I just need you to understand that."

Just know that this is temporary - it will get better. You will need to address your food addiction - it's going to be hard. You're going to have good day and really crappy days in the months to come. But it will get better.

Boy this sounds like a thread I started a few months back so you're normal!

I was a raving beyotch for the first 3-4 days then the hormones and hunger got under control. I guess for a little bit.

I will tell you my willpower has always been 0 or negative so I started a modified diet a month before surgery

I did two meals a day and 1 Protein drink

The a couple days of two and 1 meal.

I was still nasty and most irritable human being. No one could do anything right as far as I was concerned. I think god came to visit and declared me bonkers left for a little

i wanted to also add this:

my surgeon told me that Pre-Op was WAAAAYYYYY harder than anything post op. here's why: the volume is GONE and the hunger hormone is GONE. he sorta chuckled when he said to me "it's almost cruel and unusual punishment to ask a food addict to go this extreme for the last two weeks that they will ever be able to eat in that manner, ever"...

i know now what he meant...it is cruel, but it's also necessary for your safety. what made it even harder for ME was the fact that co-workers who expected me to flake out on my surgery or completely fail, were watching me like HAWKS to see if they could somehow catch me cheating or something...

I'm ending my 6th day pre-op diet (I get two shakes and one meal at dinner with a Protein, veggie and carb) and I find myself counting the hours of the day until I can eat that dinner. It's awful. I have bitten my husband's head off more times than I'd like to count, and I've been going to bed early simply because I don't want to think about food anymore! I ordered the Emotional Eating book that has been recommended on this site and started reading it last night.

I'm scared for the journey ahead. I know it will be worth it, I know my health will improve, I know that I will have to make modifications and exercise (which I loathe). Gotta keep on keeping on.

My pre op diet allows for sensible dinner, 6 oz healthy Protein (chicken, lean beef/pork, fish) 1/2 cup carb (brown rice, potato, etc) and as many non-starchy veggies as I want throughout the day. Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch..Feel fortunate, I guess...Have lost 10 pounds in 5 days..feel great! Glad I didn't have to go liquids only..that would be hard! Hang in there!

Edited by Troy Parks