Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I stopped counting calories, is that bad?

One thing's certainly true ... tools like My Fitness Pal and Fitbit make it a helluva lot easier to track your food and exercise than it used to be "back in the day" when we all just hand-wrote this stuff in little Weight Watchers diaries.

Technology has many benefits for humans, and for my money these tools (some of them free) are wonderfully beneficial.

I track calories in and out daily. I find I like the added accountability and I like seeing the numbers in front of me. I had to track during my six-month monitoring, and I see no reason to change now. It's a good habit to get into, IMO, but YMMV. Do what's right for you.

I use MFP to track my food. I'm not far enough out from surgery to intuitively know if I've had enough Protein. I don't pay attention to the calories -- just aiming for that 60 grams of Protein and watching to keep the carbs low. If I get 60 grams of protein, I can't eat much of anything else. Lately, I added Fiber in to watch because I've been having issues in that area. If I don't get about 20 from food, I take Fiber supplements (which is every day - ugh).

I also wear a Fitbit everywhere. I'm a data geek and love to see the numbers. But, I don't take any of the Fitbit or MFP calories seriously for calories burned in exercise. They are all over the place. I certainly don't eat back my calories.

So, for me -- keeping track of all the data makes me happy -- I can see charts and graphs and trends.. fun stuff! :)

I recently had an injury that slowed down my physical activity. To keep myself balanced I went back to counting to maintain control. When I have my regular activity I don't count calories but I do track what I eat to make sure that I am getting my Protein in.

At this point, if you're getting your Protein in, the calories aren't really a big deal. You're not getting so many in that you need to worry about it. If your loss speeds up significantly or stops, then you might track for a day or two to see what's going on, but as far as counting calories themselves, it's not really necessary.

I read this thread today for the first time (tough to keep up sometimes). Like just about everything else with medicine in general and bariatric surgery specifically, everyone is different. So with absolutely no judgment of what works for others, this is what works for me.

I've been logging in MFP since the day of my surgery and right up to what will be three years in October. It's no secret that I'm passionate about logging. I could write a book on the benefits - for me. Of all of the many advantages that logging offers me, one stands out above all the rest - control. Since reaching my maintenance weight of 155 lbs (just under fourteen months after my surgery), my weight has never been below 151 or above 156 (which is my personal "weight window"). Once I reached my maintenance weight, I started weighing pretty much every day and I continue to do so to this day. My weight this morning was 152.8.

I manage my weight with absolute confidence. Logging gives me the real-time feedback that enables that weight management and the confidence that results from knowing I am in control. Like many others, I monitor Protein, carbs, sugar and fiber (ugh). But the metric that corresponds most directly to changes in my weight, up or down - is calories.

My daily goal is 1600 calories. Do I hit that goal every day? Absolutely not. Do I stress about not hitting my goal every day? Absolutely not. The key for me is treating that goal as an average. Hitting any calorie goal every single day of your life is unrealistic, unsustainable and most importantly - unnecessary. Monitoring my weekly average calorie intake is priceless. If I have an 1800 calorie day, I simply make a mental note to reduce my calories by 100 to 200 calories for a day or two and I'm right back on track with my average. If I have a 1400 calorie day, mental note to increase my calories for a day or two and I'm right back on track with my average. I've done both many times. It works like a charm.

I use the same principle in response to changes in my weight. If my weight is at or near the upper 156 limit of my window, I make a mental note to reduce my calories for a day or two and it comes right back down. If my weight is at or near the lower 151 limit (it does happen), mental note to increase my calories for a day or two and it comes right back up.

There are many awe inspiring success stories in the weight loss journey. We're all different and we all find the strategy that works best for our individual lifestyles and preferences. The "best" one is the one that works best - for you.

You guys have a terrific day!

Edited by DLCoggin

I counted my Protein for the first 4 weeks after surgery. After that I stopped and have not looked back. I learned how to listen to my body. When I feel like I need to eat I do so. Do I ever over eat? Yep. That being said this is what has worked for ME. I have been able to maintain the same weight now for over 2 months and I am happy where I am at. If i lose a few more no biggie. As long as I do not gain I am good.

So good to hear from all points of view. We all need different things and different tools. I am logging now and it helps me stay accountable and aware. The electronic tools help make it easy. I look at trends too. For example today i realized I'm eating more carbs than I thought.

Edited by JustWatchMe

Just a hint: I get bashed for saying this exact thing. I got wls cuz I was tired of dieting. I don't count anything. My labs r good and I only have a few lbs to goal. I plan on continuing with my way forever.

While the loss was much slower than those who got to goal within 6 mths (I'm a yr out), I'm happy with the way things are going.

Not many people here believe this theory. Prepare to get some comments...

Congrats on ur refusal to continue dieting. If I wanted to count everything, I coulda done that wihtout removing 85% of my stomach...

Heck no! Isn't that one of the benefits of having the surgery--- getting away from all that dieting shhhtuff! My NUT said, if you count anything, count Protein grams to make sure you're getting enough. I imagine, after you do that for a few months, you'd have it down & wouldn't even have to do that.

Congratulations on your continuing progress. It sounds like you're working hard.

From all my years of dieting, I'm a pretty good walking, talking calorie counter. I don't need to weigh or measure "it", to know what I'm taking in. I know good and well when I've got too much on my plate, and what are good and bad choices. I'm with MarFar.....no more of that for me.

I have always resisted logging what I eat. Don't wanna; ain't gonna, was my motto. And guess what? All my "successful" diets eventually failed (Diet Center twice, Weight Watchers 3 times, Nutri System, self-starvation, and a 400-calorie in-patient stay in a hospital on a ketogenic diet.) I lost 100 lbs three times, and they all found their way home - and brought friends. So this time, I got on board with Protein counting. And then I discovering MyFitnessPal and now I'm logging everything that goes in my mouth, plus exercise. For me, not logging gave me permission to make bad choices - and not have any accountability for them. Logging forces me to be honest with myself. And logging in the early stages of this journey is really easy because you don't eat very much variety, so the food you usually eat are remembered by the app. Web-based logging has made all the difference. And since I hope that this is my last weight loss/lifestyle program, I plan to do whatever it takes to succeed. Even if that includes [gasp!] logging.

I am not on a diet, yippee! Because I was such a restrictor (with inevitable bounce-backs, obviously), it is better for me not to count and measure. I know what's right and if I'm having too much. I don't count Protein grams but love protein -- it is great for me to be more relaxed about food. I'm happy I still really enjoy it -- and all the prep, etc. -- but I use my planning, counting, obsessing energy for exercise instead. Love counting that!

In the beginning of my WLS journey, I was diligent about logging everything in MFP. I did it for the first 6-7 months, and then realized that I was eating pretty much the same most of the time. Even though I know what a Tbsp, tsp, ½ cup, etc. looks like, I was starting a brand new journey of a different kind, and wanted to do everything as I was instructed. And in the beginning of this undertaking, tracking my food was a good thing. It served a purpose as I launched this new lifestyle; like training wheels. My struggle with obesity was never about losing track of what I was taking in. I always knew what were good and bad choices; serving sizes, etc. At 59 years old, I've been on strict diets since the age of 7. I go back to my original comment above.....that I'm a walking, talking calorie counter, without the use of tools :rolleyes:

The USA has one of the worst food supply, nutritionally speaking, in the world. It's full of chemicals and junk our bodies don't need. The reason we have one of the highest number of obese people in the world. American Sumatra has the highest. People are literally getting fatter and fatter because their bodies are perpetually hungry for nutrients that the food supply isn't providing.

When I began eating for nutritional value, I felt a lot better with a higher energy level throughout my day. It was like a revelation. I started to really drop the lbs without starving. I eat to satisfaction, Usually, with my smaller plate plate than before organized with 1/3 Protein, 1/4 grain & 2/3 veg. I'm able to listen to my body much better now. I rarely crave sweets.

My tongue still gets in the way of progress. I shake it off and get right back on the horse. I allow myself something once in awhile though now I'm considering nutritional value when choosing a treat. If it has no nutritional value, I don't get it. For instance, I buy only raw sugar. It has nutritional value. White sugar doesn't.

Here's how to ween yourself into this way of eating:

Buy the highest quality food you can afford, like, buy all organic if you can, free range, grass fed and whole grains; NO BioGenectically-Engineered foods, and stay away from highly processed foods.

If you can only afford to buy a couple organic items, choose what you can on this list:

buy meats without antibiotics or hormones.

Buy thin-skinned & root veggies organic.

Swap usual white carbs for sweet potatoes. It's one the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. Seaweed is too.

Avoid grains, corn & soybeans that grew from disease resistant seeds. Our bodies don't knowhow to process the bio chemical-mix of toxins and people are getting very sick. Many countries around the world have banned Bio-genetically engineered foods. You can pick a couple/few on this master list to start with & go from there.

I discovered that if I eat for nutritional value rather than calories, I'm not hungry all day. My body finally tells me when it's time to eat. I feel satisfied, not full. I feel sustained throughout the day.

The Protein you eat can be measured like this: if it fits in the palm of your hand without the fingers, it's about as much protein as you need, per serving. It works for men and women if they use their own hands to measure for themselves. Each cheese stick is 1oz (16g). Each egg is about 1.5g. Whole grain carbs have protein in them already- a few grams.

I still have my scale & measuring utensils but the more you get used to cooking everything (& ween off packaged stuff) you can eyeball it to pretty close to true measurements using palm measuring.