Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I stopped counting calories, is that bad?

Regardless of which surgery you selected, it is of most importance to maintain a healthy, organized, food plan, one that makes you accountable. I agree, the weight loss journey is different for everyone, however; It seems as though for ones who have lost weight and are continuing to lose weight....the logging of food, calories and the like become unnecessary since you are having weight loss success. This seems to apply to those within the first two years or so of their surgery.

I can say I too took it for granted that I was losing weight, and eventually stopped logging my food, exercise and weight. I truly thought I did not need to do this anymore....I was finally "normal"!

Well, 10 years since my surgery has passed and I can tell you Boy was I wrong! I have gained weight and am now working towards getting back on track. Weight loss is not easy......the surgery was truly a gift. It was the start I needed and somewhere along the way, I began to take it for granted.

I would recommend you continue to track your food and exercise daily. You may find it to be a pain in the rear, but I promise you in the long run you will be better off for it. Continued success in anything, happens to those who put in the work.

Wish you all the best!

Like everything else bariatric, every program, nut and surgeon is different.

my nut/program never really encouraged counting calories, just to make sure i'm getting my Protein and liquids.

i don't count calories. i'm eating very little and losing steadily.

I am in the tracking food camp. I use MFP and have a caloric goal however I do it more to make sure I am getting all the Protein, limiting sugar carbs and finding trends. I do not obsess when I go over my calorie goal. I just dial it back a little the next day. Also the accountability helps when I think I really blew it and when I enter everything in it is not always as bad as I thought. I know my old habits would creep back over time if I stopped logging and so would the weight. I really don't mind tracking and it helps me make good choices. I look up food before I eat it many time especially if I am at a restaurant. It helps me make better choices. I hated logging when I was doing WW but now with the success the sleeve it seems a minor effort to ensure I maintain.

I don't feel as if I am on a "diet". I am super fortunate that my sleeve is so restrictive that I can barely eat 4oz at one sitting most days. That said, I can graze all day if I want to and that intake could add up fast.

I am not foolish enough (DISCLAIMER: that word is for ME only, not calling ANYONE else foolish) to think that this surgery was the magic answer for my BRAIN, even though it was the magic answer for my tummy size. I know how fast a nibble here and a nibble there could equal a butt load of calories that I don't need.

Admittedly, I don't track every morsel every day, but I do need to track most days. I don't want to regain and I need to keep myself honest and focused. Tracking doesn't mean I can't have a piece of cake or some potato chips here and there, tracking isn't punishment and it doesn't mean "diet". It simply means that I've invested a lot of money and effort into getting myself back to a healthy weight and I'm not risking it.

Different strokes and all that jazz...

I have been reading so many threads, where people are concerned about the number of calories taken per day. I have been sleeved for three months and because of my weight loss, I am now extremely active. Should I worry about counting calories even though I'm losing 2-3 pounds per week? I

My dr and nut said not to worry about calories....concern yourself with Protein. They (and I) don't want the sleeve to be another diet....most of us were slaved to diets and calorie counting and wls is the start of a new life that, for me, isn't dictated my # of calories or the # on the scale.

Frankly, I was relieved when the nut "gave me permission" to stop counting calories....it was a revelation!

I do track Protein on MFP....but not calories

How do you only track Protein on MFP? I use it and it screams my calorie count right up top when all I really care about is the protein.

How do you only track Protein on MFP? I use it and it screams my calorie count right up top when all I really care about is the Protein.< /p>

Just go to the pie chart and switch to the detail on the iPhone

On iPad I get nice counts right on the diary

I am sure ther are similar options on PC and android. In fact the details on my iPad diary I had to choose from the web PC version.

So far today for me is attached. I focus on protein and sugar grams

post-168706-0-88867200-1407086171_thumb.jpg

post-168706-0-14582700-1407086178_thumb.jpg

How do you only track Protein on MFP? I use it and it screams my calorie count right up top when all I really care about is the Protein.< /p>

Just go to the pie chart and switch to the detail on the iPhone

On iPad I get nice counts right on the diary

I am sure ther are similar options on PC and android. In fact the details on my iPad diary I had to choose from the web PC version.

So far today for me is attached. I focus on protein and sugar grams

Oh I get all that too, but it still counts the calories as well. I thought you'd found a way to turn off the calorie count.

I concentrate on Protein and carbs. I keep an eye on calories and ignore fat all together. You can adjust your goals and configuration of your counts specifically to your personal needs.

I'm the same way and I have it adjusted. I just wish it didn't always list the calories first and scream at me I am eating too little every day when I click finished.

I'm the same way and I have it adjusted. I just wish it didn't always list the calories first and scream at me I am eating too little every day when I click finished.

I don't have that problem! I can eat 1200 easy. My maintenance amount is currently 1550 and I have no problem hitting that either! But that why I only care about Protein staying high and sugar staying low. I ignore fat calories. My diet is 40-50 percent fat. Probably why I am never under MFP s 1200 threshold for yelling at us. Maybe you need to save a frequent food as "MFP nagging calories plug" and set it to 600 with no listed macros and use that everyday!

I don't have that problem! I can eat 1200 easy. My maintenance amount is currently 1550 and I have no problem hitting that either! But that why I only care about Protein staying high and sugar staying low. I ignore fat calories. My diet is 40-50 percent fat. Probably why I am never under MFP s 1200 threshold for yelling at us. Maybe you need to save a frequent food as "MFP nagging calories plug" and set it to 600 with no listed macros and use that everyday!

Oh my gosh I LOVE that idea!!!!!ThNks!!

I track everything, based on twelve years of yo yo dieting.... when I track calories and food, I always lose weight. With the lap band, I lose weight when I track, and when I don't i simply hold my weight. Before surgery, I'd lose in the summer, pack it back on in the winter.The lap band keeps me on course, the tracking ensures I am doing what I need to do keep shedding pounds. I place more value on the Protein intake than anything else, while trying to keep under 1200 calories a day. WLS is a tool, and online tracking programs are another aid if you find yourself gaining or not losing weight.