Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm only a week out from surgery but was wondering how people order when eating at a restaurant. If you want a salad (my favorite) do you order off the regular menu and ask to make it the size of a side salad so you don't waste?

Also wondering if most people were allowed to run after your two week checkup?

I've only eaten out twice since surgery. The first time was with my husband. We agreed on a main dish together so he ordered that and extra sides, that way I could nibble on his tilapia and eat some of the mashed potatoes without wasting a whole meal and he still had plenty to eat. This was ideal for me but since he travels a lot I will need to figure out other ways to order smartly when eating out with other people. The second time I was out with friends and just ordered a side of Pasta.

A friend of a friend had RNY and I know when she goes out to eat she asks them to box up half her meal at the time she orders. Less temptation on the plate in front of her. I will probably try this as i progress and can eat a wider variety of foods.

I HAVE A BARACTRIC CARD THAT ALLOWS ME TO ORDER ON THE KIDS MENU AT ANYTIME NOW WHEN MY HUSBAND AND I GO OUT I CAN JUST EAT OFF OF HIS PLATE IF IM NOT THAT HUNGRY AND HE HAS LOADS EXTRA.

I've gone out to eat many times and I've not had a problem in doing so.

I usually only eat half of my meal and box the rest.

Now I also have a card from my surgeon that says that I have a medical reason and can I order off children's menu or senior citizen menu.

Just stick to the guidelines your surgeon and nutritionist have given you and you'll be fine.

What no one has said so far is that you're not allowed to eat out for several months - liquids only, then pureed food lasts for 2 months according to my plan - so unless you're taking a blender to the restaurant.......

Raw vegetables/salad was one of the things that I could not have for 3 months - check with your doctor and diet plan. Now that I'm 5 months out, I order off the regular menu - I often eat an appetizer as my main course; Soup and a side salad is another favorite; and a few days ago my son and I shared chicken and had a side salad each - restaurant was fine with that.

I was able to have regular foods at 4 weeks out and I go out to restaurants a lot. I usually order an appetizer ( shrimp cocktail, chicken or ahi) or I do sometimes get a side salad and ask for them to add some type of Protein and they usually charge just a little bit extra. Or I split a meal with a friend. I haven't had any issues at all I am RNY and 10 weeks out. Going out tonight for dinner :)

Wow our surgeons have very different diet plans! I was allowed to start mushy foods at week two and flaky fish with cooked veggies at week three.

I do eat out time to time but I always get an appetiser or share a meal with a friend. Just yesterday I was finally able to get a salad down but it has to be spinach. I can't handle lettuce. But my preference is to eat at home. If I get an entree which I did at chilis I ordered from their low fat stuff and got the tilapia and said no starch just Beans and lots of then with the fish. That meal lasted for 3-4 days. I also eat a lot of Soups and chilli when I am outside.

I got one as part of my "congratulations" package from my surgeon and his team. Just ask yours, I'm sure they offer one! :)

I also recieved a card for when I go out. I'm only 2 1/2 wks po so I haven't ventured out to eat yet as I'm still on purée. But when I do go I will probably order some kind of fish with veges and pack the rest up for home.

I've shared with my fiancé or simply ordered off the kids menu. Cracker Barrel doesn't have an age limit for the kids menu. Sometimes I just order a side dish because let's face it you can't eat a full meal. I'm 7 months post surgery and I still eat a few bites and I'm finished.

If I have a choice, I pick a restaurant that is either a national chain ( so I can research the menu on line for what items would give me the most Protein for the fewest calories) or serves Breakfast foods all day. My 'go to' item early on was two Egg Beaters scrambled or prepared omelet style. Worked great! Even a year out I is still order this, I just normally add a fruit cup to it.

I will say that I do avoid eating out as much as possible. It is so much easier to be successful when you know exactly how the food you are eating is prepared. Good luck!

Carol

I just get a regular meal that is healthy and end up eating a fourth of it. I usually take home the rest but sometimes you just can't do that. (Because we are going other places, etc.)

Depends. THough I have been either staying away from salads or eating the chicken on it and not eating the lettuce. Peronally, my favorite thing is to order an appetizer for my dinner. Shrimp cocktail works great. Or some edamame. But I also get chicken dish and eat some of it and take the rest home. My nut says that a lot of people get the steak tips because they are easier to see how many to eat.