Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"My special food"

Does anyone else get upset when your "normal" eating family members eat your food that you have set aside for you. Then you have nothing to eat!! Idk why but this really pissed me off the other day. Maybe I had pms or something but I was practically in tears to come home and find out my kids ate my whole box of Premier Protein bars ..... In one day.. When they have an entire cabinet full of their Snacks including granola bars and what not. Sadly I felt bad the next day when my 10 year old was sick and throwing up , because he had apparently eaten 3 premier Protein Bars and drank 2 of the 30g rtd premier shakes.. Maybe they will stay out of my food now lol. I need to chill a little too ugh

Nothing wrong with being upset about it. We do for our families...100% and heaven forbid we do/ have something just for us! I'm preop but I foresee my clueless overweight (adult) daughter eating up my designated foods....thinking a lockbox for the refrigerator...:)

Luckily my husband finds the pre-op food gross. Even my dog does not find it appealing;she no longer begs for food from me. Maybe label your things so they do not go for them.

This is a thing that can make me ugly really fast...I get you completely!

My issue is them eating my food off my plate when I am not even done!

oh i get you. .i was almost in tears just last night.. i order certain foods online from home.. as you can't find them here in the US.. i went to have my self a planned treat and they where GONE... i was like WTF luckily my husband was not home as i had myself a little mini hissy fit right there in the pantry about how ungrateful every one is and who did he think he was eating my food he didn't even grow up over there.. etc..etc... i felt pretty stupid when done but heck a whole lot better also.

they don't get it. they won't get it either unless they have to grow through what we are and i pray every day especially for my kids they never do.

and most importantly kids will be kids and want what you have.. hopefully they will learn some healthy eating habbits from our changes and that moderation is always key :D

I'm still pre-op, but I remember a couple of years back when I was trying to lose weight "on my own", I was tracking and planning every single thing I ate. One day I had budgeted for some neapolitan ice cream at the end of the day and I was SOOOOO looking forward to it. When I went to the freezer to finally have it, I found out my husband had eaten the last of it the day before! This was my special, slow-churned low fat ice cream that was clearly meant for my diet. I was literally in tears. Not just because I wasn't going to get to have the ice cream, but because it meant scrounging last-minute to try to find *something* to eat that would fit into my ranges for the day after I had so carefully pre-planned everything.

I can see where you're coming from - so frustrating! But kudos to your kids for eating some healthy stuff :)

I feel you. My husband is a human garbage disposal. He will plow through every bit of food in the fridge and cabinets without a second thought of why it might be there or who it might "belong" to. (My kids have taken to putting post-it notes on certain things so he knows what's earmarked for class parties, teacher gifts, potlucks, etc.)

Right after my surgery I had a huge melt down because all the foods I had specially prepared for my food stages would disappear within hours of me making them. It wasn't pretty. After that, I cleared a cabinet shelf that is just for me along with a fridge drawer. NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO ENTER EITHER. PERIOD. I don't care if the food is rotting into a horrific science fair project, **NO ONE** can touch.

I also bought little round stickers that are different colors (green, yellow, red) and stick them on different items that are mine. Green means fair game, yellow means don't eat the last two and write it on the shopping list, red mean eat at risk of death. It's working.

@@Darianna75 I get what you are saying 100% when my husband and I first though about surgery, I went out and purchased a mini fridge freezer that is in our bedroom locked up tight.

We have 5 boys between us and they are all grown and they can EAT!! There would be fights in my house over who ate who's food and that was mine, and make me NUTS!! So we keep all "our" food away from them.

I do have to say this...eating all that Protein and drinking that much Protein in one sitting could defiantly make your kids sick VERY sick. The body can't process all that protein and it won't store it either. This could cause some kidney damage and liver damage if done too often. Hopefully they will never do this to you again, but keep these things out of their reach as much as you would medication or other poisons.

I can see where you're coming from - so frustrating! But kudos to your kids for eating some healthy stuff :)

It's not a good thing that her kids ate all those Protein bars and Protein drinks. It could cause them some serious harm. Do not give your kids these items, it is not good for them to consume such high amounts of Protein.< /p>

yes, it's normal!

Over the years, on my many diets, I'd buy stuff that was "just for me" because I wassn't eating what they were eating. Sure enough, my son would eat my WW stuff and try to hide the fact. I'd get furious. He wasn't exactly a kid. (early 20's)

It's hard enough to work to control what we eat with out our loved one's subverting our efforts. But, they don't see it that way I"m sure. It's yummy, and "healthy". So hey, why not?

Now he's on his own, and now it's just me and my hubs. Who now likes my Quest bars, and now my powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury protien powders. Hey!!! lol It could be worse :rolleyes: He doesn't complain that I buy them. He's also eating a lot more fruits and veggies. So I can't complain. I did have "the talk" with him about too much Protein when he asked me to get him his own box of Quest bars (good point lisacaron )

I too have a special cabinet for my stuff. It is in my office so it looks like I am hoarding food.....But I don't give a dead rats tail...My hubby can eat all day long and would not gain a lb. He does not need my food!

She did not give her son the Protein products. He took them and ate and drank them on his own @@lisacaron Hopefully lesson learned! :)

I too have a special cabinet for my stuff. It is in my office so it looks like I am hoarding food.....But I don't give a dead rats tail...My hubby can eat all day long and would not gain a lb. He does not need my food!

She did not give her son the Protein products. He took them and ate and drank them on his own @@lisacaron Hopefully lesson learned! :)

I was not trying to say that she did or would give them to the kids. Some think they are "health" food but they really are "special" food for those of us that need the higher Protein intake.

I would keep them out of reach just in case. I have young nieces and they also think I"m eating a candy bar when I have a Protein Bar, and you know they do taste pretty good today. I would rather go and get them a snickers bar then have them eat that Protein Bar. They might be hyper from the sugar but they won't have renal failure :)

I remember when I was a kid, Protein Bars and drinks really tasted like medicine! When I was 16 I got very sick, and I could not chew or eat anything I had blisters all in my mouth and down my throat. I was also very skinny about 90 pounds soaking wet and now not eating..Dr.'s prescribed some nutrition drink (ensure I think it was) and that stuff was terrible!! I was fearing the liquid diet for surgery because of my experience with that nasty stuff but that was almost 30 years ago and boy has the taste in those drinks changed!!

I was not trying to say that she did or would give them to the kids. Some think they are "health" food but they really are "special" food for those of us that need the higher Protein intake.

I would keep them out of reach just in case. I have young nieces and they also think I"m eating a candy bar when I have a Protein bar, and you know they do taste pretty good today. I would rather go and get them a snickers bar then have them eat that protein bar. They might be hyper from the sugar but they won't have renal failure :)

I remember when I was a kid, Protein Bars and drinks really tasted like medicine! When I was 16 I got very sick, and I could not chew or eat anything I had blisters all in my mouth and down my throat. I was also very skinny about 90 pounds soaking wet and now not eating..Dr.'s prescribed some nutrition drink (ensure I think it was) and that stuff was terrible!! I was fearing the liquid diet for surgery because of my experience with that nasty stuff but that was almost 30 years ago and boy has the taste in those drinks changed!!

I know what you meant and I didn't mean to come off telling you straight.......sorry. just wanted you to know that she didn't give them to him....

I think that Protein Drinks and bars are awful myself. Only eat one kind and that is if I am in a place where there is absolutely nothing else to eat.......yuck!

That is a very sad experience for you to have endured as a child.....Glad you overcame your fear of Protein Drinks and bars so you can use them when it is necessary. :)

Im lucky, my kid is grown and out of the house and my wife's eating habits reflect my own (just slightly higher calorie count) so I usually dont have that issue. Except for the couple times she ate my last morning star black bean burger I was saving for my work lunchbag. She knew I wasnt happy.

But sounds to me like the OP needs to get some discipline going on the kids. All those Premier bars and shakes are some pretty expensive Snacks. A week in their room with no electronics seems appropriate.