Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post op and not so sure

Had my surgery on 7/21 at Amerimed Hospital in Puerto Vallarta by doctor Armando Joya.

I'm 35 and have been curvy/plump my whole life. The last five years have seen me go from plump to outright fat. I'm 4'11 and XL sizes were getting snug. My mom had been hinting at me that I needed help. I knew I had to do something I realized when my neck and chin were so fat I had neck sweat and it was physically bothering me. Yet my BMI was only 35, not enough to be covered by insurance. So I went the self pay route.

I conversed via email with Dr. Joya and the nutritionist and along with the questionnaire we decided on the sleeve. I had lost about 10lbs on preop diet when I went in and weighed 160.

The day of surgery I met with Natalie and all my surgeons. They were so nice and respectful of my fears and concerns. I was so nervous they couldn't get the IV in. The 2nd surgeon took over and joked with me a bit to calm me down and used a smaller needle and the IV was in!!

I woke up a few hours later and was taken to my private suite. Comfortable beds. A seating area for visitors. Flat screen TV. Squeaky clean. Nice large bathrooms with towels soaps and shampoos. It was like being in a hotel room.

The nurses were amazing. So kind and attentive There in a minute whenever I called.

After the anesthesia wore off I did have pains and nausea and some vomiting. I was up and walking to bathroom right away though and it did ease the pain. I was out on the 3rd day at went to recoup at our family home. I walked on the beach went on a boat trip (no swimming) and was fine with only some minor discomfort and needing to take a daily nap.

Now I'm back home and been at work since day 7 post op.

I'm very tired some days. B12 seems to help

I started full liquids but I always feel "hungry" I can't tell if it's in my head, acid reflux, or real hunger. That is disappointing. I'm my head I still feel as if I could eat a horse.

I also have pains when I drink anything thicker than Water

And I've only lost 5 more pounds. This makes me want to cry.

I'm hoping it will get better. I won't be hungry. I can insider stand what my tummy is telling me and most of all - that pounds will start dropping.

You just had MAJOR SURGERY! You had most of an organ removed. Would you expect to feel great only one week after a liver transplant or hysterectomy? Would you be playing basketball a week after breaking your leg? Your poor tummy has been cut and stapled along it's entire length yet still has to take in and process what you swallow every day. Give yourself a break and take some time to heal. Don't rush your food stages if you are uncomfortable. I was back at work after one week, too, but I didn't feel "normal" until 3 months out.

As for the hunger pains, it's probably acid. Are you on a PPI or antacid? My surgeon sent me home with two months of 40mg Omeprazole and I still took Maaloxx or Rolaids when I felt "hungry ". If you are in pain, nauseous, or experiencing other symptoms that is making it hard to drink, you need to contact your surgeon.

As for your weight loss, my best advice is STAY OFF THE scale. Just follow your meal plan, get in all your fluids and Protein, take your Vitamins, don't eat crap, be patient and trust the process. You WILL lose weight.

And, BTW, you will not ever feel full on liquids. They flow right through our sleeves and into our intestines. Puréed will pretty much do the same thing. You won't feel the restriction until you are on solid food. I highly suggest you don't cheat your postop instructions because you risk causing a leak to your sleeve since it takes several weeks to heal. The diet sucks, but we all did it. Between pre and postop, I was on liquids for over a month, and didn't get back to "normal" foods until 6 weeks postop. WELL worth it in the long run.

Edited by Kindle

Ola Menina!

I had my surgery (7/24) in Mexico too, and for me it was a pretty good experience as well. However, being home, 6 days post op, I feel the same way as you. I am hungry allllll the time, and I am getting my Water down, but nothing seems to makes me feel comfortable. I know I am only supposed to have Clear Liquids at this stage, but I did have a small amount of cottage cheese and a little yogurt today, and not even that made me "feel" full. I also lost 5 pounds since the surgery. (21 pre op) I hope this thing is working...but I can't test it with real food for another two weeks.

I do hope things change for the better for the both of us. Because other than that issue, I am doing pretty good.

Hugs,

Karina

So good to know it's not just me

Yes I'm on the omaprazol 2xs a day. I will be on once a day starting tomorrow.

It's just these "hunger" pains that are discouraging me, but it's good to understand that once I start on more solid food that I should start feeling satisfied. I'll hang in there. What choice do I have. :-).

And I'll take the advice to stay off the scale. I was actually feeling happy because my snug clothes are actually fitting me as they should. That got me so excited I went to jump on the scales and then disappointment.

Menina, We have a few things in common. When I began this process 13 months ago I barely qualified with a BMI of 35. I'm diabetic and had high blood pressure and a couple of other things, so I was covered (Kaiser Permanente/Medicare Advantage). By the time I finally had the surgery in May I had lost 30 pounds and sure enough, the decision makers for KP called the surgeon and asked him to cancel the surgery!! But he argued the point and we did it.

I recovered very well and have had no real problems except VERY slow weight loss, a pound or so per week, and I'm getting about 750 calories per day. The thing we have in common, is that we are both fairly close to our goal weights, and it really isn't reasonable to expect to lose as fast as folks 200 pounds overweight. Yes, I always want foods too rich for my diet, but it IS possible to stick to it now, and I'm confident I will reach my goal in time. I'm 180 now and my goal is 160. I'm thinner now than I have been in 40 years and I'm happy with that --for now. Good luck. You'll be fine.

You just had MAJOR SURGERY! You had most of an organ removed. Would you expect to feel great only one week after a liver transplant or hysterectomy? Would you be playing basketball a week after breaking your leg? Your poor tummy has been cut and stapled along it's entire length yet still has to take in and process what you swallow every day. Give yourself a break and take some time to heal. Don't rush your food stages if you are uncomfortable. I was back at work after one week, too, but I didn't feel "normal" until 3 months out. As for the hunger pains, it's probably acid. Are you on a PPI or antacid? My surgeon sent me home with two months of 40mg Omeprazole and I still took Maaloxx or Rolaids when I felt "hungry ". If you are in pain, nauseous, or experiencing other symptoms that is making it hard to drink, you need to contact your surgeon. As for your weight loss, my best advice is STAY OFF THE scale. Just follow your meal plan, get in all your fluids and Protein, take your Vitamins, don't eat crap, be patient and trust the process. You WILL lose weight. And, BTW, you will not ever feel full on liquids. They flow right through our sleeves and into our intestines. Puréed will pretty much do the same thing. You won't feel the restriction until you are on solid food. I highly suggest you don't cheat your postop instructions because you risk causing a leak to your sleeve since it takes several weeks to heal. The diet sucks, but we all did it. Between pre and postop, I was on liquids for over a month, and didn't get back to "normal" foods until 6 weeks postop. WELL worth it in the long run.

Thank you so much for this! Makes me feel much better about everything!

You really will be fine and will look back at this post someday and wonder what you were worrying about :). Post sleeve life is wonderful. Enjoy.

Glad I'm not alone. I'm 4 days post op and have only lost a few pounds, I have only had liquids! I think once I start hitting those Protein goals I'll see more of a loss

I had my surgery the 21st also. You have lost more than I have at this point. It seems to be the common consensus around here that lower BMI = slower weight loss. It will come off, we just have to be a bit more patient with it. Good luck and speedy recovery!

Thanks all. Intellectually I know these things but emotionally it's hard. One thing that is good is that The pounds coming off slower after surgery validates me in the fact that I was having such a hard time losing weight preop.

Also I have to look at other positives. I could button my jeans today without it hurting. :-) I can start seeing my jawline again. (TMI) I was also having some bladder issues that have improved with the lost weight. No knee pain today either.

i had surgery on the 28th of july, i am very soar, but the worst part is the acid reflux i feel every time i put anything: Water, Protein Shake, propel, liquid pain meds. I am on protonix and stool softener, do i need ant acid as well? I most definitely am not getting down all my liquids nor Protein? Help??

I had a good day of actual surgery and was a TRAIN WRECK the following 4 days. Now I'm feeling really good. I have yet to be hungry and force myself to get in about 250 calories a day. broth and maybe 2 100 calorie Protein Shakes daily. I am forcing Water down, but it's work to get in even 48 oz of water. I feel full after 3 sips. Down 10 lbs so far. Walking 2 miles a day since Wednesday. So great not to be vomiting and peeing myself every 10 minutes now. Ugh! I'm assuming hunger will return at some point, but for now I have none. Feeling good!

Wish i knew what to say on acid reflux but am grateful ive had none now that i am back home. Maybe a couple more days and yours will stop, too. Fingers crossed for you!

Hi! I also had surgery on the 28th and have dealt with GERD/acid reflux for years prior to being sleeved. Sometimes you need to try different meds to see what works for you, maybe the protonix is not the best choice for you? I'd call my doc and see what they have to say. Good luck!

I had my surgery at CMQ hospital in puerto Vallarta it was amazing too, just take it slowly and don't rush the eating just get the Protein in and Water it will become easier day by day good luck on your journey I am 4 weeks post opp now