Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how much can you eat with the sleeve longterm

I am very interested in getting the sleeve, I am 30 yrs old with a 40 bmi , but I cant wrap my head around eating 4 - 6 oz for the rest of my life.

I am fine with the idea eating small amount for a year so,I was under the impression that it will stretch to 9-10oz after a year or so, but after reading the comments it does not seem like it stretches.

How much can you eat and how long has it been since the sleeve surgery?

I am 1 year out. I can easily eat 8 ounces. That's 3-4 ounces of Protein, the rest are veggies and some simple carbs. I feel like I finally eat a"normal" plate. I am satisfied and content. Those times when something tastes just amazing, I take home leftovers and look forward to the next time, or I tell myself I can always come back and have it again. I have a long healthy life to enjoy all the wonderful food that will come into it. That helps me not feel like I am missing out on that one singular meal.

Hello and welcome. We all had similar questions at the beginning. The way my doctor and nutritionist (NUT) explained ito me was that I would eat the inside of a salad plate's worth of food for three meals a day and have two light Snacks each day for the rest of my life. This was shocking to me, but at seven mos. out, I am very happy to eat this way. I am not hungry and food has become much less important to me.

It is important that you are willing to accept this lifestyle before you make the decision, but keep in mind that you will go through some major changes after the surgery as we all do. It is hard to picture giving up something that is such an important part of your life but, for most of us, it becomes much less important after the first couple of months.

18 months post-op for me. And I can eat 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of food per meal (8 - 12 oz.) And I have to tell you I love every minute of it - even when I gorge myself on my favorite - my mom's chuck roast and potatoes!

The 1st 6 months, I was really limited to about 1/2 cup per meal, but as the healing progressed and the swelling in my new sleeve went down, I could hold more. I go to a buffet restaurant almost every weekend with my best friend. I watch as the people(thin and overweight) file by with heaping plates of food an deserts and I sit there and nibble on my salad plate covered with 4 oz of steak and a couple of tablespoons of other things and love my Sleeve (Frankensleeve).

I quickly grew to love my small stomach and how little I could eat. It still amazes me how pre-op I was able to eat upwards of 2 lbs of food for lunch and 3 to 4 lbs of food between 5pm and 10pm nightly.

I am very interested in getting the sleeve, I am 30 yrs old with a 40 bmi , but I cant wrap my head around eating 4 - 6 oz for the rest of my life.

I am fine with the idea eating small amount for a year so,I was under the impression that it will stretch to 9-10oz after a year or so, but after reading the comments it does not seem like it stretches.

Edited by joatsaint

Almost 2 years post op and I'm ok with the restriction. I eat about 1/4 of what I use to eat pre-op and my focus is my Protein intake, a little healthy carbs & veggies. My taste buds has changed, but I have no complaints.

Some of the things that I thought I would miss either don't taste the same or I can't tolerate it. The discomfort from eating something that's not tolerable isn't worth consuming it.

To be honest, by the time I reach my daily 80 gms of Protein & Fluid each day, there's not much room for anything else. And I'm happy with that.

Trust me, as much as you think you can't cut back portions for longer than a year, you can do it. After a year it will be force of habit. And you'll be so happy with the results, you'll want to keep it up. I know I did & still do.

Good luck!!!

I am almost 6 months out from sleeve surgery and I still eat small amounts. I am okay with that. One thing I've noticed is that my tastes have changed considerably and many of the foods that I loved pre surgery just do not appeal to me anymore. That makes it so much easier to live with the food limitations. I just try to eat my Protein and veggies and the rest takes care of itself. This is such an easy lifestyle and I just don't care that much about food anymore. I love being able to fit in all of my clothes. Life is really good.

What you are seeing as the limitation is the benefit! What's better than feeling satisfied with less?

There are some people who either by choice or by bad reaction can't eat certain foods after surgery. But many people can still have treats on occasion and eat every type of food they want. The sleeve helps you with moderation.

I'm about five months post op and I do sometimes get bummed when I go out to lunch with friends and can only eat a couple bites lol. I frown and they ask "oh don't you like your food? " And I say " no I really like it lol and I can't have any more". But I take it home and get to enjoy it for a few days.

Immediately post op I did wonder if I would enjoy eating again. It's a learning curve to eat so you're comfortable and not overfull. I thought the surgery maybe works because eating sucks lol. But with recovery and learning the discomfort has lessened and I enjoy eating more now that I did pre op. Because it doesn't come with guilt and second guessing and regret! How much I can eat depends on the type of food but 1/2 to 1 cup is about the range.

Glad you're asking yourself the right questions good luck with your decision.

Edited by squeaker31

Fourteen months out. I can eat 3-4 ounces of dense Protein with a nibble or two of something else, or 2oz Protein with 1/2 cup of something else. If I eat no protein, I can eat maybe 3/4 cup.

My restriction is very tight and I'm so thankful. I may feel frustrated from time to time for a moment or two, but those are the times I need my restriction the most.

How much you eat depends on what you eat. If you eat solid Protein such as chicken of beef 4 to 6 OZs is all you will fit. It you eat Soup one or yogurt one can get a lot more down. The trick is to eat and make yourself full. Easier said than done. You will find getting use to smaller meals its that bad, but it does take time.

I'm 4 weeks out. Today I had an egg for breaky. Felt ok so I stopped. I'm losing interest in food. It's just such a job to even eat it. Hoping to get better after I recover longer but right now food doesn't have any magic for me anymore.

As others have said, it depends on what I eat. I'm over a year out. A few days ago I had about 5 ounces of a salmon & succotash salad for lunch and I was satisfied but not overfull. A few weeks ago I tried to eat about 5 oz. total of scrambled egg, salmon, avocado & cheese and could only finish about 3 ounces before I was just too full. So my dog got the rest! But I'm happy with the small amounts I eat. It's very satisfying. I can eat just about anything, no food intolerances, and I enjoy my meals. I don't need to pig out to enjoy my food anymore, and that's great! I know it's hard to understand when you are looking at it from the other side of surgery, but really, it's a good thing. ^_^

It's not like on a diet when you are still hungry but stop anyway. You will be full, even almost stuffed. You want want to keep eating so it won't feel like a burden to stop. I'm 15 months out and this has been my experience the whole time.

Edited by mistysj

You will be able to eat all day if you want to. My husband has said he can eat anything, he just chooses not to. The sleeve gives him the tool to eat healthy since he is not hungry. You can eat french fries, ice cream, pizza, you name it. You have to be ready to not bring these into your home. We were both sleeved and honestly since I don't have children at home I am blessed because there is no bread, carbs and sweets around. But even with children, you can try new things for them, smoked turkey wrapped in lettuce instead of bread. It is still going to take willpower and you can do this. I believe the sleeve stretches. But also you can make it stretch by overeating. It is so worth doing this. Good luck.

I'm 8 months post op...I can eat 2-3 ounces of dense Protein and a couple of bites of other stuff. I can eat more if I don't eat the Protein. I feel bad if I overeat, so I try to eat until I feel that first little "pinch" or until the hunger goes away. Eating to the point of "stuffed" like I used to before surgery...Ugh - that's agony.