Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Drink or Not to Drink - A take on Dr. John Dixon's findings

Hey everyone!

I'm sure someone has already posted this interview, but just in case you haven't picked it up yet there is an astounding interview on Weight Loss Surgery Podcast hosted by Reeger Cortell that interviews Dr. John Dixon. Dr. Dixon is a researcher and professor in Australia. His name crops up in a lot of WLS related research papers a lot, and he has some interesting findings to share, some which hasn't quite caught up to common practice here in the states. For those what wish to listen to the podcast in its entirety it's available here: food from traveling through the stomach at normal speed and how it isn't true. And uses trial studies that showed no delay of food emptying into or out of our stomach, and that the Lap Band does not really work based on restriction but based on sending signals of satisfaction with smaller meals to the brain that last longer than without the band.

So, because food is moving in normal time, drinking with meals will not change the effectiveness of the band. And they tested this by separating controls into three groups, where each were given equal calories in three forms: A Breakfast bar, a breakfast liquid shake, and a bar with Water. And results showed the patients that had the solid bar and the solid bar with water showed no difference in level of satisfaction. Now they did three more groups, who had bands, and it showed that people who had water with the bar had more satisfaction and longer than just people with the bar.

So, while I'm not saying that anybody should do differently from what their surgeon's instructions are, it might be worth keeping an ear open and some communication with your surgical staff as this whole 'no drinking before or after meal' may be based on non-science and will eventually be deprecated (if it isn't already with many of you.)

Edited by JessS

Drinking and eating with the band has been discussed here often. Dr. O'Brien from Australia also believes it's OK to drink and eat. I sometimes drink when eating. Tonight I had some leftover chicken and it was a little dry, so I sipped some Water with my meal. Many people have been successful not drinking so they don't want to rock the boat and continue to not drink and I understand this. I lean that way myself. I seldom drink and eat simultaneously. I reserve it for eating out or eating dry foods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZCE8pGJHG4 Dr. O'Brien

Listening to this John Dixon podcast now but getting sleepy and will finish in the morning. This is a must hear for anyone who has had any WLS and definitely a must hear for anyone considering having surgery. There looks to be several other very interesting topics that I will be hearing?

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

I always like it when someone does research and tells everyone the way it actually is, and yet my own personal experience is the complete opposite....or is it all in my head and I'm just imagining it?

I know for a fact, and have for years, food does not pass through my band normally, and as far as drinking, I cannot drink while eating, even if I wanted to.....

Oh well, I guess I m not as successful as I thought I was...I'm really still fat and just don't accept it...

Internet...what would I do without it....

Edited by B-52

Everyone's body is different and your mileage may certainly vary. But personal experience is the herald of all sorts of pseudoscience. I think the data is worth considering, because my personal experience may be wildly misinterpreted, as is so often the case when I've been shown my body is working differently than I always thought it was.

In any case, the people in these studies are having all sorts of success (with less complication revision surgeries) and still eating and drinking fine. And their scans show the food exiting the stomach no slower than the control group.

opinions are like Navels everyone has one. I have said this before and it is worth repeating. If my Dr. tells me to not drink or not to chew gum or drink carbonated drinks that is what I am doing. He is the expert not me. There are tons of studies and articles about lapband and what is or isn't correct but I ask my Dr. and he tells me what I need to do. I have had zero problems with my band I am 18 months post op. I do not drink with my meals .

I do have sips of Water here and there with my meals. And I drink up to the point of eating. After the meal, I don't drink much. But if I want a few sips, I have them. I'm not gulping down a 32 oz Dr . Pepper like I used to.

I believe you should follow your surgeon's rules. I also believe that we should be up to date on all the latest findings related to our WLS. I work in a hospital, with doctors, and the difference from doctor to doctor is huge. Some do not keep up with the latest findings in their field and some devour every piece of info. Either way, they are probably still much more of an expert than we are.

So I follow the rules, mostly, but I'm also not afraid to find what works for me.

Darn! And I thought I could go out and buy a fifth of Capt. Morgan after reading the title of this thread.... back to the bottled Water.< /p>

No matter what we choose to do there is documentation to say do it or don't do it. This goes on with every topic we could come up to discuss about WLS. It makes for a good topic to bring up to the doctor at our visits so they can either explain how we would benefit or possibly suffer from that choice.

Many rules are followed because it is a majority type of decision for the whole not necessarily each person. Being 6 weeks post op I am sticking to what I was told because although I am not against not following the rules to a T at this time I have not learned my band and body well enough to completely deviate from the plan that was placed for me.

What works for one may or may not work for another as well.

Support and love,

Colleen

and have had

Sounds interesting, and definitely worth a talk with our doctors for their opinion. I agree, always follow your doc's plan though!!!

Thanks so much for this. I read the summary but now will go get the podcast. Have meant to figure out podcast world! Meanwhile, I believe in being my own advocate and knowing all I can about anything to do with my body. I trust and respect my surgeon but he's just one guy with a skillset. Medical professionals enjoy working with patients who have taken the time to educate themselves as much as possible and they learn through our feedback.

Just an FYI. This podcast is rather long, 69 minutes, but the drinking part consumes only about 5 minutes. Dr Dixon seems to corroborate my own journey and personal findings. It's good to hear from a professional that I'm somewhat normal(band wise of course).