Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ability to drink alcohol post-op, your experiences?

So, will carbonation be an issue for the rest of my life postop?

@@Rekx - ... Go on. lol

I am about a month out. I had an out of town event last weekend where I wanted to drink and got permission from my doctor to have a drink. I was quite nervous as I have read many forum posts indicating that I would have no tolerance. I have also read studies that say alcoholism rates are higher for bariatric patients than the general public.

Before surgery I drank once or twice per week at most. I mostly drank martinis and scotch. Well the first night of my trip I had white wine. I put it over ice. I drank about 2/3 of the bottle over a few hours. I couldn't tell for sure what I felt. One moment I thought I was starting to feel something and then it went away. The next night I had vodka and crystal light. I had about 2-3 drinks again over a couple hours. I got a nice buzz from them - more than I probably would have felt before surgery but I didn't get stumbling drunk or anything. It seemed to wear off quickly though. The next night I had a scotch on the rocks. I definitely felt that. A nice warm buzz and again didn't get super drunk from it. Again, it seemed to wear off quickly.

So, will carbonation be an issue for the rest of my life postop?

From listening to everyone's replies, I think (just like many things) carbonation effects everyone in different way post-sleeve. I know my buddy still can drink 3 or 4 beers a night along with a lot of red wine and liquor. I've also read a couple people say they can still drink pop (just not as much.)

Others have said they just poor their carbonated bevgs out of the can/bottle into a cup and this helps. I think it's safe to say that things won't be the same with it as pre-op, but, it's just a matter of how much change...

i didn't drink for six months but do love a craft beer. My fave now is Nitro beer or Cask ales which are not as fizzy. Other ones I just pour into a glass instead of drinking from the can or bottle. Drinking beer straight after eating or trying to eat Snacks with a beer does not agree with me but I do enjoy a beer or two on the weekend before dinner. A summer vacation in England did bring some good cask ales though so glad they are harder to find in NJ. I would say wait as long as you can after being sleeved before drinking beer to let every thing heal and then start with one beer well after a meal to see how your body reacts.

I'm 5 months out and have not tried a beer yet. I have had some Makers Mark on the rocks 3 or 4 times since surgery. My tolerance is definitely impacted after losing 75lbs. I am hoping to have a beer again some day in the future. I can't imagine life without being able to enjoy a beer or two occasionally. I am a former brewer and beer judge and am passionate about the subject. I will probably order a draft lower carbonated style though. Yes I know about empty calories but I balance that in the gym.

20 month's out. My tolerance level has dropped tremendously! Beer carbonation is uncomfortable, so I stick with margaritas (fresh) or gin & tonic. Neither causes discomfort, although i can only have ~2-3 max at a sitting; otherwise I'm smashed!

20 month's out. My tolerance level has dropped tremendously! Beer carbonation is uncomfortable, so I stick with margaritas (fresh) or gin & tonic. Neither causes discomfort, although i can only have ~2-3 max at a sitting; otherwise I'm smashed!

I'm curious about the gin and tonic (as that was one of my main pre-op drinks.) I would think the tonic Water would have a ton of carbonation? Glad to hear it doesn't affect you that much. I hope it's the same for me.

A month out and just experimented with alcohol for the first time this past weekend. We had a tailgate event with a bunch of friends. Over a period of 5 hours, I had 3 drinks. I had a glass of red wine with dinner, a screwdriver, and a Moscow Mule after.

I was a little worried about the Moscow Mule since there is a little Ginger Beer in there. However, it went down fine. I drank all of the drinks very slow compared to how I drank pre-op. I might have had a little buzz after the screwdriver, but, nothing major. Overall, I was very glad to see that I could socialize like normal and not have the alcohol majorily affect me.

However, I will say that I had been losing around 1.5 lbs every other day prior to drinking. And I was same weight for 2 days after. It definitely affects the weight-loss part.

Unfortunately, I'm learning that they ALL have unwanted calories! (Damned!) I can prob max at 3 G&T's. You'll notice a difference between fountain tonic and fresh tonic from an unopened bottle. Much more Fizz in the latter. No problem with wine either. I DID notice that my weight plateaued (even increased) when I drink regularly (Its been a really crappy year...).

Giving up beer was my only fear with the surgery. The surgeon told me it's not the beer it's the carbonation. I have switched over to a margarita or liquor and sugar free mixer. It hasn't been bad at all. I only drink alcohol once every week or two. I've had no problems and I feel the effects quicker, so Its cheaper. The one difference is that no eating while drinking or you get too full to do either.

7 weeks out and I've had kind of a crazy streak going in my life as of late. In past 3 weeks, I've been in a wedding, hosted a tailgate, hosted a golf tournament, and spent 4 days on a work trip in Miami. So, I've had my fair share of alcohol associated with these events. I'm getting a much better feel for what I can and can't handle.

First off, I'm a clear alcohol drinker, just don't like much of the darker stuff. Bloody Mary's, Gin and Tonics, Screwdrivers, Vodka-sugar free Redbull, Vodka-G2 Gatorade, and Moscow Mules all seem to treat me fine along with most Wine's I've tried. The only thing I've tried that hasn't sat well was light beer which I've only tried twice. I could barely drink half the beer.

I'll be kind of bummed if I can't handle a couple beers down the road a ways, but, not the end of the world at all. Overall, pleasantly surprised with everything and was prepared for much worse. Also, different from most, I don't really feel like my tolerance has been affected all that much.

I plan to get more details when I have my post-op appointment tomorrow. It's hard to watch the game with no beer! Not to mention going out with friends who LOVE to drink. Wife and I are going to cut the sodas (plenty other beverage options). I haven't touched any alcohol yet. Too soon..only 1 week post-op!!

Again, I had the surgery to change my life and get healthy. That having been said, I'm not trying to be miserable either! I think less frequency & consuming in moderation is the key!

Update from my last post.

I have drank beers and liquor. Im 3 1/2 months out. Im able to drink beer slowly but painless. Liquor still hits me hard but goes away as fast as it hits me. You can continue to drink through the day. Just dont expect to get and stay hammered.... It wont happen. You will sober up real fast.

No desire to drink every day. Its been said we are at risk of becoming alcoholics. I do love how much I save going out now.

I'm one year, 5 months out and have been drinking (mainly vodka and diet cranberry) since 6 months post op. In fact, I'm finishing a concoction of Vodka, Malibu, Rum Chatta, diet cran-pomegranate, a banana and a handful of ice...blended to perfection (had to find a good use for my Ninja blender after the damn pureed stage! :P) as I type! Especially after watching my Saints barely pull it out over Tampa Bay today!

Now, with that being said, I have been working out like a maniac since I was six months out as well, so it's my way of rewarding myself! ;)

While I've heard some folks can tolerate beer (and man, did I ever enjoy an ice cold beer on a hot day! :D) , I suspect my lips will never touch carbonated beverages again. Not based on any solid data, just my choice...lovin' this new me too much to take risk screwing it up!

I'm a bourbon/scotch/fine wine snob who drank too much of it. I stopped two weeks before surgery and told all my buddies, I'm just doing Water until Jan 31. Be interesting to see what my tolerance will be. I do have one extended family member who gained everything she had lost after the surgery because she started drinking empty calories (and then would graze).

If you are worried about suddenly quitting before surgery, this was a helpful article for me:

http://hamsnetwork.wordpress.com/2010/10/09/more-on-tapering-off-alcohol/

Relearning everything is part of the challenge

Kirk