Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ability to drink alcohol post-op, your experiences?

Posted this in the general forum, but, was mainly getting responses from women. Wondered what your guys' take was? Thanks:

I am 31 years old and have basically done whatever I wanted (within reason) whenever I wanted since mid-college. I'm self-employed in the financial industry so I have been able to take off on a vacation, golf, or whatever reasonably easy (since I didn't have to ask my employer first.) This do whatever, whenever mentality is partly why I'm in the shape I'm in, I love to eat... and eat good.

One of the things that I'm most worried about is the possibility that I won't be able to drink carbonated beverages such as beer or alcohol in general after surgery. I'm not an alcoholic by any means, but, I have a lot of fun. And drinking on the golf course or during a cocktail hour in business settings has been a big part of my life over the past 10 years. Not to mention, most of my friends like to kick back and drink on the weekends.

I'm confused because I have read many things that a lot of folks aren't able to handle alcohol or drink carbonated beverages at all... Yet, I have a good friend who had the surgery and in some ways, I wouldn't hardly notice a difference in his eating/drinking unless he had told me. He still drinks a few beers, drinks a ton of wine, and some mixes and seems to be fine. The main area I can see a difference is that he seems to get drunker quicker.

What are your experiences? What is the norm? Is it just that this surgery affects everyone differently? I mean, I am obviously willing to give up some of this for my health for my family... But, I'm just trying to figure out what to expect. Any input is appreciated. Oh, and my surgery is scheduled for this coming Monday. Thanks.

I drink the occasional beer or Mike's Hard Lemonade. I pour them over ice to get rid of some of the bubbles. I have to be real careful drinking right out of the can. Drink too fast and I'll feel the pain of a stretched Sleeve or a poking sensation at the bottom of my throat. I can drink hard liquor with no problems. My favorite is Tequila mixed with Crystal Light Lemonade. I've never been a real big drinker so I don't know if I get a buzz any quicker - I've always been a 2 drink limit kinda guy.

Ok so I know im goin to get shit for this. Im about 5 weeks in. I did have a drink about a week ago actually 2. Both long island ice tea both at different bars. The first one I started feeling about half way in. My guess was bout 8oz out of a 16oz glass. Yes its confirmed. You get drunk quick. Also for me it wasnt the same. It was all in the head. Second location their size of the longisland ice tea was a pint (yes i know overkill, but I didnt drink all). When I started the second drink i was already sober. About 1/3 into the drink I started feeling it again... Hard. For me it was a shock. Everyone mentions it, but I was skeptical. Coming from able to drink full bottles and cases of beer. My girlfriend was shocked aswell also couldnt stop laughing at my tolerance.

How long should I wait to have a carbonated beverage? Im dying to have a beer.

I did not have any alcohol until I was back on regular food which was about 2 months post op.

Now I do have an occasional drink but I have had to change my ways a little. Beer I have to drink really slow because of the bubbles and once it gets warm I am pretty much done so I don't drink beer too often. I can handle mixed drinks just fine but I stay away from the sugar heavy mixers. I do not have any issues with a vodka tonic although I do drink a little slower so I don't get too buzzed and so I don't have any issues with the carbonation.

One odd thing I have noticed is that when it comes to wine I am ok with white but some red wine will make me nauseous almost to the point of throwing up so I have been avoiding red wine. You may notice your tastes changing after surgery also.

My advice is to just lay off the alcohol for a little while after surgery to give your stomach time to heal and then slowly reintroduce it back into your life but as everyone else has mentioned your tolerance will change so be aware of that.

One last thing, even though I have had to change my drinking habits no one has really even noticed. On the weekends after softball games the team always heads to the bar that sponsors our team. I can still hang out with the boys and enjoy myself just like I always did!!

You know, it is funny, if you mention alcohol, you hear about empty calories, blah, blah. I know they are emply, but I love an IPA, such as Sierra Nevada Torpedo. I am getting sleeved on Sept. 24, so I am worried I will miss it too much. You still have to live your life.

I'm 4 1/2 month out and I can drink without a problem (yes drunk quicker for sure, but it's getting better with time)...my drink of choice is gin and tonic and I stir it to get some of the bubbles out, plus you are sipping over time so it's not that bad. So cheers--Keep on partying!!!

I am one month out from surgery and a couple of days ago I got into a situation where socially I was pressured to have a beer. It went down slowly but fine. My friend made a comment about how slow I was drinking and that I didn't have another. So I anticipate being able to drink beer, just not as much or as quickly as I used to. I figure that I will gravitate towards the less carbonated beers like stouts. I also anticipate being more inclined to drink bourbon and other hard spirits. I had some grappa yesterday and that went down very well. I used to be a big drinker, so I figure I won't be able to drink as much and that is certainly not a bad thing. But as the same time, if I want to have a session and get crazy with the boys, I will be able to drink scotch and bourbon and do shots.

I am proud of the fact that I have quit alcohol for the time being in preparation of surgery. I think that most of my weight is from those bourbon drinks! Eventually I would like to have a drink or 2 in the future. Glad to know that I can if I really want too.

Since surgery (May 27th 2014) I've had two beers at separate picnics and ordered one at a restaurant - I just could not finish them.

They tasted great at the start but by the time I had eaten my food I just could not finish drinking them and they got warm by the time I was ready to try and finish them.

Yuck - warm beer!

Edited by ready2getgoing

I have lost interest in alcoholic beverages. I use to drink a lot every weekend before surgery im so glad i dont even have the urge to do it now

I'm not much of a drinker. I can go months without thinking about it. But on a day like today, I needed some stress relief. I'm on my 2nd 10oz Miller Lite right now. :-P I started feeling it after the 1st 8 ounces! But I'm real careful about the bubbles and how fast I drink.

I have had an occasional drink since surgery 7 months ago. I did wait until 4 months out for the first one. I am not interested in beer, carbonation is a problem. White wine is ok, red wine is not. Probably because of the tannins which can be very acidic. Since I have a basement full of expensive wine, this is potentially a problem. My drink of choice is vodka with crystal light or bourbon.

I have never had more than 1 or at most 2, so getting drunk has not been an issue. I was concerned about business dinners and meetings since I go to too many. But I have found that there are always non drinkers in this group and it has not been an issue. More and more I find reasons not to drink.

I used to have 1-2 drinks a month following 6 months. Then I just lost interest in it. The buzz is over fast and I do not really like the taste, so why bother? However, I have recently discovered angry orchard. Still only 1-2 a month, but taste is at least good. Too bad they are 200 calories a bottle. Sometimes I like a cold frosty one on a hot summer day.