Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when do you start getting rid of clothes?

This time, the second an item of clothing is too big for me I'm donating it to the local hospital charity resale store.

And I mean the very second!

I've been yo-yo dieting all my life and, consequently, have a houseful of lovely clothes in many sizes. Good news is that I've got a gorgeous wardrobe for the first 55 pounds. After that, I'm either going naked or going shopping. :)

Get rid of it.......and don't even bother investing heavily in the next few sizes down. I made the mistake of buying clothes on the way down to my target weight, not realizing that with the surgery and the drastic weight loss, sizes I thought I'd only hope I could get to, I blew past and have had to re-wardrobe a couple of times......trust that this surely works and wait till you level off"......

I didn't buy new clothes till almost a year post-op. What can I say? I'm a guy. :-P I'm a mushroom. My "cave" is deep in the heart of my workplace and I'm not required to venture out much. But when I did buy new shirts, I did it with flair!!

Old gray shirts

post-147109-0-13560200-1404094224_thumb.jpg
New FLASHY ELECTRIC BLUE shirts
post-147109-0-76406300-1404094555_thumb.jpg

There was another post up here like this recently. A poster mentioned having a pile of things that didn't fit. She would put them to the side and once she got a certain amount, donate them.

I think it's a good idea, and probably what I will do. I think I will have a clothes basket to put them in and once it's full, bag them up and take them off.

Either that or put them on the front porch for one of the groups who always calls requesting items...

Due to body dysmorphia, I was down 40 pounds before I felt like I did not need those same clothes anymore. I was fortunate enough to be able to pass them on to one of our sleeve sisters here on the forum who was in need. But altogether since my surgery, I have had three closet flushes. Those items that she declined I set out for a charity truck that comes by every couple of months.

This time, the second an item of clothing is too big for me I'm donating it to the local hospital charity resale store. And I mean the very second! I've been yo-yo dieting all my life and, consequently, have a houseful of lovely clothes in many sizes. Good news is that I've got a gorgeous wardrobe for the first 55 pounds. After that, I'm either going naked or going shopping. :)

Love it. Just love it!

For jeans and shorts, when the old ones get baggy, I get a few of the next size at the thrift store or on eBay. As soon as I am firmly in the new size I get rid of all the old size. Give them to friends, take them to the thrift store or, if they are in excellent condition, sell them on EBay. I'm still losing and shrinking, so I haven't spent the money to get anything new. As for tops, I got rid of the ones that really hang and are ridiculously huge. Most of what I've got left are still big, but wearable. Again, I'm not buying anything new until my weight stabilizes.

I've gotten rid of no less than three large trash bags full of clothes. I have SO MUCH ROOM in my closet and dresser drawers now! And last time I packed for a trip I could bring more outfits because my clothes are all so tiny :)

Edited by Kindle

I got new pants everytime the people at work told me the old ones looked awful on me - and then ended up having to do the same thing a couple of weeks later!

I went thru my closet & tossed out a whole bag of clothes. It was such a wonderful feeling. I can't wait to do it again. I'm retired so I don't have to have much in the way of clothes. I am wearing shirts & shorts that haven't seen the light of day in about 3 or 4 years. The only thing I will need in a few weeks will be underwear. My Buns are getting smaller. :rolleyes:

I got new pants everytime the people at work told me the old ones looked awful on me - and then ended up having to do the same thing a couple of weeks later!

I kind of use the feedback comments as a gauge that it's "time to move on", too. The other day I ran into a friend who said "it's about time you finally got some pants that fit!" But you're right, I almost try to hold on to the old for as long as possible because I know I gotta do the whole thing over again next month. And this is in no way a bad thing!

I have already started stocking up on clothes in smaller sizes. My local thrift store had a huge $1 rack this past week and I stocked up on various sizes. Tons of clothes from Gap, The Loft, and other name brands for $1 each. I boxed the shirts by size in my closet, and did the same for bottoms. They are stacked with the largest size on top all the way down to the smallest size on the bottom. The funny thing is I can't see getting below a size 10 pant and below a large shirt. I do have a box with a few smaller things in it just in case, but that is unimaginable to me. I plan on donating the clothes I shrink out of to the sharing closet at my surgeons office. They have a well organized section of clothes through various sizes that are free for the taking and you can donate to. I can't think of a better way to share the fun of the weight loss journey than passing on clothes I can no longer use.

I 4.5 months post, almost 85 down. I've purged 3 times so far. The good stuff I give to a girl at work. The rest to Goodwill. I am so pear shaped that nothing fits the same and it's do hard to find pants that fit. When the girls at work tell me to get new clothes, I listen. I bought 2 maxi dresses from Target to get me through the summer. I don't really have any pants that fit and I hate buying pants - really hate it. I think I have body dysmorphic syndrome too. I bought an XXL shirt without trying it on a few weeks ago. Too big. Went back and bought a XL. Too big. No way can I consider a L??? It's mind boggling to get out of plus sizes. But I'm still an 18-20 on bottom. Sigh....

I am 8 weeks post op and I started boxing things up for Goodwill. Work pants, capris and jeans are the first to go. Then a month ago I broke my ankle so I have to keep a few pairs of pants that are WAY too big cuz they fit over the boot I have to wear. Once the boot is gone - so are 4 more pairs of pants! I just rediscovered clothes in my guest room closet that I forgot about...will try those on and see how that goes. The tops are moving a little slower but I have a friend who wants to "shop" in my closet for tops before I donate anything.

This all sounds great! I will be happy to start shrinking but I will probably just start pulling clothes thatI grew out of before I buy anything new if at all possible.