Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op liquid diet

The first day of my liquid diet. Im starving ....I'm going to remain hopeful and hope it gets a little easier. I work at night with others who has all there delicious prepared meals smelling like heaven around me......i'm praying for the strength to stay strong and be successful in this process.

Lindseyzzzme,

My doctor told me the same thing, but after all the research I've done you should do the 2 week before liquids, because it shrinks your liver. I'm having my surgery Sept 26th. Where are you having your surgery at?

I'm having the gastric sleeve, why do you choose the bypass vs sleeve?

Edited by SHELLYROCKWELL

I did 3 weeks on the Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement shakes. Tried them all first to see what I liked. Had 4 shakes a day, could have clear broth, no caffeine. The first week was bad. Head hunger that wouldn't go away. After my RNY the Dr said my liver was almost normal size and made his job a lot easier. My discomfort was worth having a happy surgeon.

Bottom line is always do what your Dr says. If you have questions always ask. We aren't the ones operating on you :)

I just had the sleeve surgery on July 28. My surgeon required the all-liquid two week diet. I had been cutting calories for months prior to the surgery and was down to about 1200 calories per day (net + exercise). It was somewhat challenging the first 2-3 days on the all-liquid diet and then my body somewhat adjusted a bit. I did 'cheat' a bit and had like an ounce of tofu with my broth at dinner during the first week, but no solids on the second week.

As for shakes, I find that the Body Fortress brand sold at Wal Mart is actually very good. Both the chocolate and vanilla flavors mix well with a variety of sugar free Torani syrups. I have about 15 bottles of the Toranis on my counter for making everything from mango to s'mores to belgian cookie shakes. I use unsweeted almond milk instead of regular milk.

I also added non-fat greek yogurt to shakes or to jell-o and all were quite satisfying.

My surgeon said my liver was perfect and my surgery was an ideal situation for her. She was able to perform the surgery with five incisions using DaVinci robot.

Lindsey, I think every Dr. is different as to their Pre-Op diets. I had the Lap Band and had to be on a liquid diet which consisted of 4 Protein shakes ( Bariatric Advantage) and broth as well as Jello for 2 weeks prior to surgery. Dr. states this was to help shrink liver to get to stomach better. Good luck on your adventure. :)

Since Monday I have lost 5lbs and 1.5 inches on my diet. So ready to be done with it and have my surgery.

Hi Lindseyzzzme

I'm doing my sleeve surgery through A Lighter Me in Mexico. Like you, I have only a two-day pre-surgery liquid diet. I am currently pre-op with surgery in Tijuana on August 24. So, I am consuming only Protein shakes and salad with Protein until three days before surgery when I switch to full liquid. Day of surgery, nothing.

Where is your surgery? There are different requirements via different surgeons. Different though processes, I guess.

every programs seems to be different. I have a 3 week pre-op diet. low carb, high Protein. specific lists of foods I can eat. day before surgery is all liquids.

Hi barngirl!

I just saw this and you are having it TODAY! Good luck!! I was sleeved on the 18th. How was the hospital in TJ?

<p>every programs seems to be different. &nbsp;I have a 3 week pre-op diet. &nbsp;low carb, high Protein. &nbsp;specific lists of foods I can eat. &nbsp;day before surgery is all liquids. &nbsp;</p>

Hi rovobay we have the same surgery date. I'm also on the 3 week liver shrink diet. It is basically 4 Protein shakes, 1 fruit, salad and 300 calorie dinner. Maybe we can follow each other. Wishing u the very best!

@@acbell288 awesome. good luck to you... where are you? we have less than a week to go now!!!

I live in pataskala ohio. About 40 minutes from Columbus oh. I'm getting the surgery at Osu medical center. What about u where do u live and where r u getting your surgery? How r u doing on the preop diet. I've lost 13.5 lbs so far. How about u. It has been slow. Thought it would come off faster! I'm getting nervous r u? Wishing u the best!

I'm starting my preop diet Monday. My NUT suggested Premier Protein drink from costco. Each drink has 30 grams of Protein. I'm to have three of those, unlimited allowed veggies as a salad or Soup. She suggest Walden Farms calorie free Salad Dressing from Sprouts. I am also allowed 2 Protein Bars a day for Snacks. The idea is to shrink the liver for a smoother surgery. Sounds good to me!

I started my liquid diet on Tuesday. It actually caught me quite by surprise. I have been in this process for about one year. In that time I have been diagnosed with Uterine Cancer, had a complete hysterectomy, and have spent a lot of time waiting. In the course of the waiting, I gained five pounds. The surgical coordinator did not like this. I thought a lot about having a last meal before I started the liquid diet, but I decided to just dig right in. My diet is either three Premier Protein drinks or four Protein Drinks made with skim milk and 100%whey Protein. the vanilla Premier Protein drinks taste like vanilla pudding. I really like it. I also get two servings of raw veggies, but I think the veggies upset my stomach, so I usually skip those. I've lost 10 pounds in five days.

The diet is about shrinking your liver and reducing your belly fat. I believe that it is also about showing that you are dedicated to this process. I have read that the liquid diet is the hardest part.

I don't have a surgery date yet, but I go back in a week to have a check up and schedule the surgery. I have been told I will be on the liquid diet until the surgery.