Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I go Friday to get my date from the surgeon for gastric bypass - I've completed all requirements as of this afternoon. At my OB appointment this morning, the doctor and I were talking, and the nurse in the room with me tells me she had bypass 3 years ago, and although she looked healthy and slim, she says to me, "It's not what it's cracked up to be, I've not had a day since I had the surgery that I actually felt good." Wow. It floored me that she said that.

Please, those of you who have had the surgery for a while, please reassure me. I'm doing this surgery because most days I don't feel good now. I want to feel good and healthy and energetic. Do you?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Carol

I can only speak to my experience 6 weeks out but I feel great and have for at least 3 weeks now. No complications, can eat anything that's on plan (haven't strayed off the plan) and I'm down 30 pounds today! I have a lot of energy -- even got on the treadmill last night watching TV because I was just needing to do something even though I had exercised before.

She should have said "this is my experience but others may have a different experience".

I tried to read the good and bad stories here and online and went ahead and I'm so happy I did. You'll find the best and worst -- you just have to decide if the risk of having surgery with complications is great than the risk of not having surgery and being obese.

Don't get discouraged. You will find many, many more people who are thankful they had the surgery than you will find people with major regrets. I am four months post-op, and occasionally have a fleeting moment when I question my choice to have the surgery, but 99% of the time I am very happy with my choice. I am healthy, off all my medications and have plenty of energy. As long as you really educate yourself about the complete lifestyle changes you will have to make and are committed to make those changes, you should be happy, healthy and much slimmer in a few months.

Good luck to you! :)

Thank you both. I am sure of this. I just needed to hear it again. After hearing so much about how great everyone looks afterwards (and she did!), I had never heard anyone say that felt bad after having it...3 years later no less.

Ah yet more unsolicited advice :rolleyes:

I think everyone goes through the same apprehensions , before the surgery,as you are.I can very well understand your situation.You do not need to be stressed or discouraged as there are more people who are thankful for their choice of having the surgery than those who are regretting it.Look up all that you can about the do's and don'ts and also follow every step your surgeon tells you.I am sure you will sail through fine. Infact you will be proud of your decision.Good luck dear.Do keep us posted on your pre and post surgery condition.

I'm just over 4 months out and I've never regretted my decision. I think a lot of the process is about attitude and staying positive. Please don't let a random comment side line you or cause you some trepidation. You deserve to be healthy and enjoy life and that's just what this will do for you.

I go Friday to get my date from the surgeon for gastric bypass - I've completed all requirements as of this afternoon. At my OB appointment this morning, the doctor and I were talking, and the nurse in the room with me tells me she had bypass 3 years ago, and although she looked healthy and slim, she says to me, "It's not what it's cracked up to be, I've not had a day since I had the surgery that I actually felt good." Wow. It floored me that she said that.

Please, those of you who have had the surgery for a while, please reassure me. I'm doing this surgery because most days I don't feel good now. I want to feel good and healthy and energetic. Do you?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Carol

Carol, I just realized that your almost exactly where I started. If all goes as planned, just imagine spending the holidays at around 155 lbs. :) sounds awesome doesn't it? Now quit doubting, commit fully and live girl.

Thanks y'all! It just surprised me so much considering that the surgery obviously worked for her. I just hope once I'm her size will be energetic and happy to be healthier.

@@SugarFreeMe, that would be SO great!!

I have not had my surgery yet but during the nutrition classes I just took they said if you have the bypass and don't continue getting the 60-80 grams + of Protein you are told to get in daily you will feel terrible. Which is a lifetime thing and they tell you that but I know a few people who didn't continue to take their vitamins/protein as directed and they didn't end up looking or feeling well at all.

Im only four months out but I'm down 75 pounds. I am very happy that I had the surgery. I just spent the weekend at a Water park with my family and I was able to go on all the rides and actually enjoy myself. Last year when we went I had a miserable time because I was so overweight and unhappy.

Don't let her get you down!!!! This surgery has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. The only time it sucked was when I was in the hospital, and that's because they gave me a pain pump with morphine in it and I was so doped up. A soon as I got home and the morphine wore off I was fine. Didn't even take a pain or nausea pill. I used to not be able to do anything without being in pain. Now I can walk five miles on the treadmill and ride an actual bike 15 miles, just did that one today. I was tired cause it's hotter than hell outside but once I cooled down, I was fine. I could not do these things two months ago. When I was 325 pounds. Don't let some negative nancy discourage you, she may not be following her diet plan.

Edited by jtickle

Four months and 76 pounds down, I feel great, I like looking in the mirror now, I can do so much more. I feel like I'm me and not me with a bunch of extra stuff on top.

I get my Protein, take my Vitamins and drink my Water every day. It was hard at first but I am so so so glad I had surgery. (Sleeve)

I definitely know the feeling! I just got my Sep 10th surgery date, and my "friends" at work found out somehow that I am having WLS and have let me know how miserable they have been since they (2 of them) have had theirs. It is frustrating to not have support from them...but we are different people, in different stages of life. I have researched, planned, waited...and now I am ready!!! Bring it on!! :)

Thanks everyone! I really think attitude is half the battle! Some people are just never happy no matter how successful they are. I'm ready!! :)