Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! how do you break a stall?

I think I just hit a second stall. My weight has moved up and down 4 lbs for the last 2 weeks. What happened, I was losing steadily, then boom, all stopped.

How do you break the stall???

This may not be the answer you were hoping for but I don't believe in "stalls", yes the number on the scale may not be budging but during this time it's important to realize that you're losing inches, this is the cycle your body goes through. You lose and then slow down or stop on the scale but during this time your body is just catching up to itself by shedding inches, which in my opinion is way more important than the number on the scale. The most important thing to do during these times is to monitor how your clothes are fitting if they're getting loser you're still losing, a loss whether it's in lbs or in inches is still a loss and are equally important. If you stay the course and keep making healthy choices and exercising you'll see that scale start to move again, it doesn't have a choice:-). The important thing is not to get discouraged! You're going to get there!

Edited by enjoythetime

You don't break it... you wait it out. You stay on plan. You eat what you're supposed to. You keep on exercising. You focus more on what you have control of (fingers/eating and feet/exercising) and less on a number on the scale.< /p>

This may not be the answer you were hoping for but I don't believe in "stalls", yes the number on the scale may not be budging but during this time it's important to realize that you're losing inches, this is the cycle your body goes through. You lose and then slow down or stop on the scale but during this time your body is just catching up to itself by shedding inches, which in my opinion is way more important than the number on the scale. The most important thing to do during these times is to monitor how your clothes are fitting if they're getting loser you're still losing, a loss whether it's in lbs or in inches is still a loss and are equally important. If you stay the course and keep making healthy choices and exercising you'll see that scale start to move again, it doesn't have a choice:-). The important thing is not to get discouraged! You're going to get there!

I agree with you, I stalled right at the time I was put on soft foods. I also somehow managed to gain 8 pounds in like 2 days. I have no idea where it came from. I stayed at 288 for 2 weeks then BAM I lost 12 pounds in 3 days. Anyway, during this stall, I lost a lot of inches. I went from a size 26 to a 18/20 in 3 weeks. I just keep on working out and the inches are coming off faster than the weight. If my body wants to lose weight slowly, I am fine with that. At least I am losing.

I am unsure if this is a stall...or bad choices.

Exercising more-increased walking/day.

Eating to fast-getting a little heartburn

NOT drinking any Water (cannot stand the stuff)

no liquids coming out of me (go twice a day to bathroom), urine very dark almost orange

yesterday I drank 7 cups of Water, ate slowly (timed myself between bites)

stepped on scale this morning-up 2 pounds!

I don't know for sure what is really going on

ugh

I am unsure if this is a stall...or bad choices.

Exercising more-increased walking/day.

Eating to fast-getting a little heartburn

NOT drinking any Water (cannot stand the stuff)

no liquids coming out of me (go twice a day to bathroom), urine very dark almost orange

yesterday I drank 7 cups of Water, ate slowly (timed myself between bites)

stepped on scale this morning-up 2 pounds!

I don't know for sure what is really going on

ugh

I know what's going on you're dehydrated!! This will definitely make you gain weight! If you "can't" do water afd some crystal light to it or add some lemon to it. There are also great recipies on pintetest where you add fruit and let it set overnight so ypu get some flavor. Any way you decide, you have to get your fluids in, not just for weight liss but for proper kidney function.

Thank you for all your input. I have not stopped running to the bathroom today. LOL

I am up to six glasses of Water and just trying to get use to the idea of this is something I have to do

as someone who is entering his 3rd week, I appreciate reading all of these posts.... my months on this forum have me prepared for this "stall" stay positive!!!!!! stick to plan and exercise. :)

I was sleeved July 10 my highest weight 264 day of surgery 258 and now I'm juggling between 225-229 I'm super depressed that I'm not losing. I'm at a 3 week stall. I don't know what to do

You definitely need to work on your daily hydration levels. It's always been a challenge for me...and I ONLY drank Water pre-op, nothing else. I just never ever seemed to get in 8 glasses per day.

Post-op, plain Water is too dense and makes me feel ill. I buy Vitamin Zero Water which is lightly flavored and try to get 2 of those in per day plus the three Protein drinks.

As for breaking a stall, I just experienced a four week stall. I bounced around between the same two pounds. I ignored it and just keep focusing on hydration and Protein. I weight myself everyday but don't obsess over the actual weight. Honestly, it barely registers, only enough to see if it's moving down or holding steady. Suddenly, after four weeks of no real progress, I started loosing about .5lbs per day for a solid week. Then about .25lbs for the second week. Now I'm leveling out again, again just ignoring the stall, and continuing to focus on hydration and protein.

Over the course of our entire WLS journey...a three, four, or five week stall isn't really a big deal. Just make sure you are sticking to your surgeon's diet and you won't go wrong!

Uhg - I'm not really in a stall, just such ridiculously slow loss that i'm going crazy. In the past four weeks I've lost 6.5 pounds. That's less than half what I lost the previous four weeks. And - I only lost 1¾ inches overall in those four weeks! I was sleeved the end of April 2014 and until now have lost 7 to 15 inches each month. Argh! I weigh myself daily, but do measurements every four weeks - that way one day's weigh in doesn't make me feel like it counts too much, since it varies day to day, and I only track it once a month. Anyway, I had a week of a houseguest, and then another one staying for three days, and I stopped tracking a several days while they were here --and only got in some walking and some jogging (11000 - 15000 steps a day though) and stupid me; no gym time. Rats!! I'm just back from the gym now, and determined to start the ball rolling again. I really worked hard there tonight, and am back on to my jogging tomorrow. Sigh. Cant' slack off for even a week! Wow. But hey, at least it's not a gain. :P