Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It feels like I'm always hungry and never full

Today is 7 weeks postop VSG. After an upper GI and EGD due to an aching and spasm feeling tummy, nothing was found. Doc said to expect 3-6 months of misery while healing and until my system settles down. In the meantime, I am on Nexium 40 mg. twice per day for GERD and Questran twice per day for intestinal bile acid reflux. Unlike most people, I NEVER feel full. It feels like I could seriously down a full meal. And in between Snacks and meals, a lot of times there is a gnawing hunger feel that is SO frustrating. My hope was after surgery to be free from that type of hunger.

liquids make me feel RAVENOUS, so it makes it difficult to get those in, knowing how it is going to feel. I've tried Special K Protein Drink mix (that helps a little), Crystal Light, SF Kool-Aid, etc.

Today I finally broke down and went to McDonald's and in order to try to feel full/satisfied, I got a grilled chicken snack wrap without sauce, and ate it (no tortilla) and then followed that with a small smoothie with 1/2 scoop of unflavored powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. Now I just have reflux and every time I take a sip of Crystal Light, it feels like a hunger spasm.

All Rx meds for stomach spasms haven't worked.

I am so frustrated and upset. I just want to feel 'normal' again (whatever the heck that is!) I don't even want to go to our local support group because of the frustration. To top it off, I hit my first stall.

If anyone has suggestions, or has been 'here', or can give advice, I'd love to hear it as I am at my wit's end. Other than the weight loss, I am really wishing I hadn't done this. And of course, since there is no going back, I want to fix the problem.

Thank you for reading my rant and appeal for assistance. I am grateful for your time.

I think that is not hunger but rather the acid talking. Have you discussed changing acid meds with your surgeon?

I'm not allowed Crystal Light or any other sugar free drink. My nutritionist says that the sugar used in those is worse than real sugar. She says it makes you hungrier and makes you crave sugar even more. I've never been big on sugar free drinks, hate the after taste, so I don't really mind. I stick to Water and one Protein Drink in the morning. I also feel hunger, which is a little bit disappointing, but I get full faster than before. I still take my acid reflux pill in the morning, used to have to take 2 a day, so that is getting better. The nurse told me to take some Tums also and it seems to help. Hang in there, I'm sure it will get better with time. Good luck.

Today is 7 weeks postop VSG. After an upper GI and EGD due to an aching and spasm feeling tummy, nothing was found. Doc said to expect 3-6 months of misery while healing and until my system settles down. In the meantime, I am on Nexium 40 mg. twice per day for GERD and Questran twice per day for intestinal bile acid reflux. Unlike most people, I NEVER feel full. It feels like I could seriously down a full meal. And in between Snacks and meals, a lot of times there is a gnawing hunger feel that is SO frustrating. My hope was after surgery to be free from that type of hunger.

Liquids make me feel RAVENOUS, so it makes it difficult to get those in, knowing how it is going to feel. I've tried Special K Protein drink mix (that helps a little), Crystal Light, SF Kool-Aid, etc.

Today I finally broke down and went to McDonald's and in order to try to feel full/satisfied, I got a grilled chicken snack wrap without sauce, and ate it (no tortilla) and then followed that with a small smoothie with 1/2 scoop of unflavored unjury. Now I just have reflux and every time I take a sip of Crystal Light, it feels like a hunger spasm.

All Rx meds for stomach spasms haven't worked.

I am so frustrated and upset. I just want to feel 'normal' again (whatever the heck that is!) I don't even want to go to our local support group because of the frustration. To top it off, I hit my first stall.

If anyone has suggestions, or has been 'here', or can give advice, I'd love to hear it as I am at my wit's end. Other than the weight loss, I am really wishing I hadn't done this. And of course, since there is no going back, I want to fix the problem.

Thank you for reading my rant and appeal for assistance. I am grateful for your time.

I'm sorry your feeling like you are. I too have put up with the spasms..I had hernia repair also with it. My internists I seen him this past wk said with the nerve endings cut its to be expected it's not unusual. .he did keep me on my stomach med an he also wrote a script for spray lidocaine. .yes wat they use at dentist so it's to b sprayed as far back in throat yummy can possibly spray an It will numb as it goes down..might b something for u to look into. He did tell me expect 3 to 6 month for everything to heal inside being this is major... I'm just 2 wks an just started phase 3...but Iv still had just liquid Protein tday..I to Still feel hungry about every hr...I was hoping this would leave as well but u have to remember their is ghrenilin hormone also in intestinal tract...an acid makes u feel hungry as well...I hope this helps some...overall I still stand by my decision. ..so grateful for this tool...I think u will also it's just ur still healing...baby it..I knew all the possibilitys that could happen..theyr sometimes not all smooth going it's a behavior change an commitment. ..keep ur eyes on the prize. .chin up! Hang in there: )

Thanks all. I am hoping 'this too shall pass'. Yesterday was a really bad day on top of several really bad days, and it felt good to vent. Today is a better day. I'm going to work hard at staying positive and remembering it just takes a long time to heal completely.

I AGREE that many of the sweetened drinks make me feel hungrier. It seems pretty much all liquids other than Special K Water mix bother the tummy terrifically.

AND checking with the doctor for another acid reducer is a great suggestion. THANK YOU!

Again, thank you all!!!!

So sorry you are having such a difficult time! I have the stomach spasms too, and have to remind myself that although they can feel like hunger pains, they are not. I've just resigned myself to a rumbly stomach. Especially when I am trying to get in my fluids. I've also noticed that keeping to a very strict schedule helps both my stomach and my mind with knowing when it is time to eat. On weekends, I often get off schedule and I've noticed that the stomach issues are much worse on those days. Hang in there, sending healing thoughts your way!

Edited by katonaboat