Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 wks pregnant and have Q's?

I just found out I was pregnant a couple of weeks ago and really im on here just to get some feedback on being pregnant with the band. I've been banded since Nov 2012 and have lost about 80 lbs. I just some advise, comments, anything really. One of my initial questions is how does it feel you know with us having a port and all. Does it pop out can the baby damage it? Thanks

-Roxie

Oh wow, CONGRATS!

I have had 4 children, none with the band. Try to remember to continue to eat healthy. It does not help the baby or you to use this time to eat carefree. Plus it would be awesome to track your success for the many woman who become pregnant while on the band in this group.

I never felt better than when I was pregnant, I hope the same for you.

So excited for you.

Colleen

I just found out I was pregnant a couple of weeks ago and really im on here just to get some feedback on being pregnant with the band. I've been banded since Nov 2012 and have lost about 80 lbs. I just some advise, comments, anything really. One of my initial questions is how does it feel you know with us having a port and all. Does it pop out can the baby damage it? Thanks <br><br> -Roxie

hello! I got my band in 2008 and got pregnant in 2011 my daughter is 2 now and I had no complications due to the band. My doctor did however remove the liquid from the band to allow me to eat more for the baby. I later found out that it isn't really necessary to do that which I would have preferred since I gained 65 lbs with my pregnancy and am just now starting to lose it again. If your doctor suggest to take the liquid out I would consider not doing it since there are facts that state it won't harm the baby it's more for liability reasons. I did feel my port more as my belly grew, at times I had a little pain around it as pressure increased but nothing too bad. It never popes out! That really was the only difference in the pregnancy ( I had my son before I got the band so I have two different experiences).

Beat of luck to you enjoy your pregnancy and if you have any questions I'm here for ya!

Bren

I can't help but to think most of us eat healthier WITH the band so taking it out would not be on my want list.

I recently had a baby boy. I had all but 1 cc removed from my band. I really enjoyed eating things I hadn't been able to since my band was put in. My port didn't hurt or cause any trouble. The last month or so my belly was very tight so you could feel it. Most people thought it was the baby's foot pushing out. Good luck!

Congrats. I had my surgery in 2008, and had two children since. One in 2010 and another in 2013. I had major complications with both which were not caused by the band, but aggravated by the band. Now my band is not functional. But everyone is different. Just make sure you keep on top of the morning sickness and get zofran. I hope it works out for you.

I kept my band fully filled the entire pregnancy. The port did stick out. Lol. Toward the end it was pretty right but I increased my calories by adding some whole milk. I gained 22lbs and has a healthy baby. Is leave it filled again if I have another!!! My lapband doc insisted I empty it and I simply refused! My OB doc didn't care either was and in fact was happy with my small qr gain.

I am 36 weeks and have not had an unfill. 4.5 cc in a 10 cc band. I am 3 years post op. This far I've gained 18 lbs. my ob said there was no reason to have an unfill. She told me that I will likely be smaller after baby than I was before. Which I'm not happy about. I was a size 4 before baby. And struggled to maintain. My current insurance considers my band a pre existing condition. And the policy parameters cover nothing associated with bariatric surgery. So it will be interesting to see if I lose weight while nursing like the average woman does.